“Cozy and Safe”
other travelers have booked this property

Review of The Jolly House

Bathroom
Bathroom
Backyard
Back view (in winter)
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Virginia...
Saint Simons Island, Georgia
“Cozy and Safe”
Reviewed July 7, 2015 for a stay in November 2014

I travel--a lot. After awhile, staying in hotels becomes so impersonal and eating out at restaurants becomes less and less enjoyable. I stayed at Gina's for several weeks last fall and was able to leave some of my personal things at the house, which made it seem even more like my home away from home. I had sold my home in the area and my husband and I moved to Saint Simons Island, a 2 1/2 hour drive away. I was able to easily round-trip it when needed.

Because she is a Fitzerald native, Gina can give her guests numerous tips. There is a local market which sells organic produce, which I visited frequently and enjoyed cooking my meals. She and I also went to a local organic blueberry farmer and got gallons of the most wonderful blueberries I had ever tasted. ( I will actually be going back for more when the new harvest comes in.)

This cozy home is located in an area where folks are renovating these wonderful, historic homes to the guidelines of the historic registry. The next door neighbor actually landscapes her yard and looks after things. That made me feel more comfortable staying by myself, even though Gina was always available.

I found this home to be a safe haven and a relief from daily demands.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The historic home atmosphere, high ceilings and decor...great kitchen.
Traveling group: Solo
Recommended for:
Friends getaway People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
Cyndi H
Chicago, Illinois
“CHARMING!”
Reviewed July 1, 2015 for a stay in June 2015

We spent two wonderful nights in the Jolly House in mid-June, 2015. Two of us flew to Atlanta from Chicago, and two from Sacramento. We rented cars in Atlanta and drove to Fitzgerald to attend our annual Boggus Family Reunion. Many others of our family members came in from out of town, but none of them had the special accommodations that we enjoyed in the Jolly House! We loved waking to the chickens telling us, “Good morning!” Early morning walks towards downtown were also enjoyable. There are so many interesting restaurants and cute shops, and we especially liked viewing other charming turn-of-the-century homes with their pretty landscaped properties in the neighborhood.

The house is just adorable. It has retained so much of its original charm, and it’s clear that the home holds a special place in the heart of the proprietor. Fitzgerald will be our destination for many more future family reunions, and our plan is to book this special house – WAY in advance – for each one!

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The proximity to town.
Liked least: It was too hot outside to have a fire in the fireplace!
Traveling group: Extended Family
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Patty W
Jacksonville, Florida
“We Love The Jolly House”
Reviewed March 19, 2015 for a stay in November 2014

The Jolly House is a perfect get-away. If you long for the relaxed and gracious Southern comfort of bygone days, this is ideal. The house is immaculately clean and cheerful. It's the right mix of up-to-date convenience and the quaint ambience. Enjoy the exotic beauty of the wild roosters that are part of Fitzgerald 's charm. Save some of your breakfast toast for them! You may hear a train in the distance as you snuggle in the comfy well-appointed beds. You will be in walking distance to a very pretty little town with interesting shops, great eateries and The Grand Theater, which is often host to world class entertainers. The innkeeper is marvelous. You will feel like you have gone home. The only thing that I don't like about The Jolly House is leaving.

Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Infiniti0...
Atlanta, Georgia
“Well described, well located, will return!”
Reviewed January 31, 2015 for a stay in January 2015
person found this review helpful

This charming little house is accurately described here, and I will definitely return. The in town location is walkable to downtown, the front porch is inviting, and the fenced backyard offers privacy. History, parks and museums make this part of South Georgia compelling, and the Jolly House makes a unique base camp for excursions. It’s a historic old home but not a beachfront or mountaintop “room with a view.”

Everything was in working order. Parking on the street is acceptable, but there is reserved and private, covered parking out back, too. The innkeeper is clearly interested in your comfort and satisfaction.

Fitzgerald, Georgia is noted for its wild chickens and even hosts an annual festival celebrating them. You’ll probably hear them and wonder if you’re out in the country rather than in town. There’s a “must see” museum in the old railroad depot, trains are active, and you’ll probably hear them, too. These are the sounds of the Jolly House.

My positive recommendation is based on a satisfying stay of several nights, along with my endorsement of these photos and description as accurate. Again, I would definitely recommend and will definitely return.

Traveling group: Solo
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing