“The best in Crete”

Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Drakona
Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Ntounias restaurant is a traditional Cretan restaurant with authentic tastes cooked in the wood oven, even the bread is hand made and cooked in the restaurant. Most ingredients are taken from the family farm and many are harvested from the neighboring area. Stelios is a unique person with love for life and cooking, and this spirit you can see, smell and taste in his food! When you visit Ntounias, take your time as we will produce to you to taste our plates, which are different every day. The restaurant is located at Drakona village, east of Therisso village at Keramia, Chania prefecture in west Crete.
Reviewed May 12, 2014

My Greek teacher told me about this fabulous taverna in the mountains. In the 8 years we have now lived in Crete I can honestly say this place is fantastic and an experience not to be missed. From Kalives via Malaxa it is a long drive, but well worth the effort and the food is to die for. Stelios is a brilliant host, nothing is too much trouble - even giving us his shirts so we would not be cold. The food is fresh and spectacular, as is his wine. Well worth a visit. We will definitely be regular customers. Only wish we had found him before. I cannot praise it highly enough and it is like taking a step back in time to really traditional cooking on wood. Fabulous

Reviewed May 9, 2014

I was my second visit at this place. A friend recommended this place to us. And now I'm sure... "ΝΤΟΥΝΙΑΣ" will be my obligatory stop on the tour on Crete! Wonderful food, friendly staff and this real Greek (or Cretan) hospitality make this place so extraordinary and full of real charm.
It is worth to move away from the well-known tourist routes and come here for an even small meal... but I'm sure you will stay there for the late evening!
And absolutely you have to chat with Stelios - very interesting man :)
Best wishes for "ΝΤΟΥΝΙΑΣ" from Poland!!!

Reviewed May 3, 2014

This is how a restaurant should be: local, simple...FRESH! Everything here shows that good food is their passion. I've visited Dounias twice, once in winter, once in summer and I'll definitely go back there whenever I feel like having pure, good food (and an amazing drive).

Be ready to visit the kitchen to see what's on offer and if you find it difficult to decide, like we did, just tell them to bring "a little bit of everything". The friendly waitress brought us decent portions of everything and always remembered to explain what is what and whether we'd like some more. My favourite is arnaki (baby lamb) in the oven and everything else is VERY good too, even the bill.

You have to experience Dounias!

2  Thank Jutta79
Reviewed May 1, 2014

Do take the time to search out this restaurant on your next holiday to Crete - it's memorable in so many ways. Firstly the food is top quality, healthy and super delicious - authentic, locally sourced, organic, part of the Slow Food movement. It's all cooked over wood or in wood ovens - just looking in the kitchen is an experience in itself. Secondly, you eat in a stunning location looking down the valley across to the mountains, it's beautiful and unspoiled. Thirdly, the service is warm and welcoming. The owner gave up his professional career as a chef in the nearby town of Chania to build this business from scratch in the tiny village his family comes from. You can taste his passion - he deserves to succeed. We ate in many village tavernas recommended to us by Cretans during our recent stay on the island and this restaurant really stood out for all the right reasons. It's worth searching out - it will be the highlight of your day!

Reviewed April 30, 2014

We were introduced to Ntounias tavern by our friends and so glad we were. Drakona is hardly on the beaten track and you really have to go out of your way to get there, but it's well worth the gorgeous drive, especially this time of year when everything's so green. We were shown into the kitchen and all the home made food was described to us in detail, then it arrived at the table....no menu just freshly cooked wonderful food. It reminded me of Greece 35 years ago but even better.
If you're in the chania region check it out....

Mark and Sharon