As with many of the reviews we stayed at the hotel through Groupon which was a Christmas present from my brother and his wife.
We arrived at the hotel at 13:00 and was welcomed by reception. Although checkin was not supposed to be until 14:00 we managed to check in and was told that our wine was in room waitimg for us.
We decided not to upgrade the room so opted for standard and our first impressions were that it was clean and warm but looked and felt old. The room door and furniture were dark wood and the carpet, curtains and light fittings reminded me of a retirement home but the rest of the room looked as though it had been kept well. The bathroom was pretty modern and the walls/decoration of a good standard.
The bed was comfortable, although a choice of pillows would have been good as the ones provided were pretty soft so even when you had two it sometimes felt as if you only had one.
The room was warm when we arived but unfortunately the heating was on all night so it did get a little overwealming through the night and we had to sleep without covers.
We had an evening meal which was of a good standard. There were 4/5 choices for each course and we opted for a pwawn/salmon starter, Roast pork dinner and then apple pie/chocolate cake for afters which were reasonable.
For breakfast we had a full english and a continental and again the food was of a reasonable standard and service excellent.
The service we received was excellent but we did have an evening meal at 17:00 so there were not many people in the dining room at that time. The bar did seem more chaotic and shared its staff with the restaurant which I think was the problem. If the bat and restaurant were both busy then i cannot see how this would not create issues as people in the bar were having to ask for simple things like knives and forks.
Overall we had a pleasant stay and would stay again. If it was my hotel I would change a few things to make it more pleasant and acommodating but it isnt by any means a bad place:
1. Offer guests brown and white toast at breakfast (white was provided with no option)
2. Update the light fittings in the room (we were in room 31)
If you are looking for somewhere reasonable to stay in the area then its a good place to stay at a reasonable price.
Thank you for everyone at the hotel for an enjoyable stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Despite its’ quiet location, it is only 20minutes from Junction 24 off the M62 and offer’s complimentary WI-FI , restaurant, beauty salon, and free parking. Situated within 1.5 acres of beautifully mature gardens and woodland, this historic 19th Century family-run hotel is perfect for those seeking a peaceful, yet welcoming retreat. This magnificent Hotel was originally built in 1870 and converted into a hotel in 1975, ensuring that it still retained the traditional grandeur and charm of its’ Victorian origins. Stylishly blending the old with the new, it succeeds in crafting a distinctive ambiance of luxurious splendour and homely comfort. This, coupled with its’ picturesque location, beautiful grounds and impeccable commitment to service provision, has helped the Hotel garner an impressive reputation for exceeding all expectations.Each of the 30 en-suite bedrooms are individually designed and furnished whilst still retaining the traditional character and allure of the building’s historic origins.Comfort and relaxation are very much the order of the day and this is reflected in the wide range of modern conveniences and luxuries that each room has to offer. Including; complimentary Wi-Fi access, remote-controlled TV, hairdryer, tea & coffee making facilities and fluffy bath towels. There are a range of cosy room options available, from double and twin to Family size and singles, a luxurious Bridal suite, and several rooms on the ground floor for disabled access.No visit to Durker Roods Hotel would be complete without first whetting one’s appetite at Oscars, the on-site restaurant. Renowned for its outstanding cuisine and its’ unpretentious approach to quality dining, it has gained an enviable reputation for using fresh seasonal produce and locally sourced ingredients wherever possible. With extensive menus providing good honest food, there is something for everyone whether it be home cooked bar meals and snacks, traditional Sunday lunches or elegant evening dining. There is also an extensive wine list & Champagne Specials which together perfectly compliment the depth of flavours that the menus have to offer.Durker Roods Hotel are pleased to offer a sensational range of personal salon treatments within our professional beauty salon providing services tailored to meet your individual needs. Whether you require nail treatments or wedding makeup our professional beautician will be more than happy to oblige.The Hotel is located in the foothills of the Peak District National park, yet is only a 15 minute drive from the market town of Huddersfield. It is easily accessible from junction 24 of the M62, Huddersfield train station offers fantastic transport links to most major destinations across the UK and for those flying in; Leeds Bradford Airport is only a 50 minute drive away whilst Manchester International Airport is not an hour’s distance from the Hotel.Just a short distance away, there are a wealth of local attractions and tourist sites to visit. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Expedia and HotelQuickly so you can book your Durker Roods Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.