All reviewsjuan and jennifervending machinethe ownerbed dormother guestsequipped kitchencuba libregreat hostsnew friendssafe neighborhoodlovely weeksocial atmospherefamily atmosphereplace to stayhome from homeplace is cleanquiet at night
Reviewed December 7, 2016 via mobile

Amazingly friendly staff, perfect atmosphere, best place to stay. Will definitely come back. Perfect place to meet people, have some drinks and go out with the whole Hostel. You will definitely feel home immediately!

Stayed: December 2016, traveled solo
Reviewed December 7, 2016 via mobile

Alejandro is indeed a nice and enthousiastic host. And other guests where indeed nice. But the matresses in the private Rooms where just awfull. Like sleeping in a hole. The matresses in the dorms are a lot better. The common area is very small and mostly inside. The kitchen area is nice. The owner was playing Xbox al lot with friends which made the common area even smaller and you were constantly watching death on the television..we stayed the last night at bahia cultural. Which was only 4000 more expensive but you had a nicer common area, bigger kitchen and in the same area but closer to the supermarket and bakery.
If you book any trips via Blue almond you pay them a small fee.

Stayed: November 2016, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rdam413
islatur1, Propietario at Blue Almond Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2016

Deark Auke, we are sorry that you didn't like the beds in our hostel, but you never voiced your dislike of the mattresses while you were here, keep in mind that mattresses are like sex, some people like it hard and some people like it soft, had you told us while you were here, we would have changed the mattress as we keep spare ones.

To clarify a few things, all the people playing videogames were guest from the hostel, we have a strict no visitors policy and that includes our friends, sorry if you felt left out. The game we were playing is Shadow of Mordor, it has a ESRB rating of "M", for Mature, like we hope everyone all of our guest are.

As I love numbers, I took the time to look at the stats of the 4 days you lodged with us and due to many cancellation because of the hurricane Otto we had an average 47% occupancy rate; that is 12 people. I also took the time to measure the area of the common areas and is 48 square meters indoors and 28 square meters on the back patio(without counting the garden on the second house and the smokers area), that gives us 7 square meters per person given that everyone was there at the same time, which we believe is plenty of space.

As a piece of advice I recommend voicing your dislikes to a place while you are in it, that way you give the service provider a chance to fix things and work them out on the spot, complaining in the future about stuff that could have been fixed on the spot is a bit silly.

Reviewed December 1, 2016

I really liked the Blue Almond hostel and would like to recommend it to any traveler planning to spend a few days on San Andres island. I spent four days here in November. Originally I had flown to San Andres for scuba diving. Unfortunately, the weather was a catastrophe – it was so rainy and windy that the coastguard grounded all dive boats for my entire stay (and on one day they even closed the airport). You can imagine my disappointment. Thanks to the Blue Almond hostel and its management I still managed to enjoy my stay on the island. The Blue Almond is all about socializing and bringing the guests together. Every new arrival will be introduced to other guests. Practically the minute you get there you’re part of the crew. The hostel’s common area includes a kitchen with fridge and vending machine, and a dining room/living room with a big table, sofas and a large TV with Netflix and Playstation. So, socializing with the other travelers is as easy as pie. The hostel has been around for a while so don’t expect a super-stylish boutique place. Everything (toilets, showers, kitchen) works well and is being kept fairly clean and that’s perfectly good enough for me. Kudos to manager Juan and his right hand Alexandro! They really did their best to keep the spirits up. Everybody was looking forward to Wednesday – it’s Blue Almond tradition that all guests who want to go on a pub crawl together. When the news hit that all pubs are closed because of the severe weather conditions, Juan went out and bought a big bottle of rum and some Coca Cola and drinks were on him. Wow!

• Stayed: November 2016, traveled solo
Reviewed November 20, 2016

If your travelling on a budget this is the hostel to stay at in San Andres! The staff is the friendliest you will meet and will introduce you to other guest which turned out to be a lot of fun. The place is super clean and even has a beer vending machine! Great place to stay.

Room Tip: Book in advance because the rooms do fill up.
  • Stayed: September 2016, traveled solo
islatur1, Propietario at Blue Almond Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2016

Hi Charlotte, thank you for a kickass review! We are glad you had a great time with us and hopefully you made everlasting friendships with the people you met in our little hostel!

Reviewed November 15, 2016 via mobile

I went with 2 friends of mine and I had a great time at the hostel. Alejandro, Juan and Shaggy treated us as a family and helped us with whatever we needed.
I strongly recomend to, after enjoying the beaches during the day, go out at night with the people from the hostel to have fun.
Cheers!