“Fresh seafood, great service”

Jolly Roger Seafood Market & Grill
Ranked #3 of 61 Restaurants in Ellijay
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Atlanta, Georgia
“Fresh seafood, great service”
Reviewed July 21, 2014

This nondescript, wee little restaurant and seafood market located next to a service station has good seafood. Our seafood was fresh and cooked well, but the sides were ordinary. Still, the seafood was the star of the show and they knew how to cook it. The service was great! The seafood market was loaded with goodies that, if one has a cabin in the area or is renting one for a spell, one can pick up some great seafood to grill. Recommend.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank OldHandatThis

Venice, Florida
“Order Blackened lightly if you don't like salty food”
Reviewed July 14, 2014

We’ve eaten at JR several times each year over the 10 years we’ve lived in Ellijay. Always enjoyed ourselves and so have friends we’ve taken there…until our last lunch.

We started with the smoked fish spread that we’ve had before. This version has a nice smoky flavor, but was too salty. Senior citizens are constantly concerned about too much salt.

My 4 catfish filets were lightly breaded and fried to perfection. JR truly has the best catfish around. I could only eat 2 filets and about a third of the fries. Leftovers!

My wife’s mahi salad was less than perfect. She picked out several pieces of lettuce with brown or discolored spots. While she was picking, I tasted her blackened mahi. I knew immediately she wasn’t going to like it or eat it. “It’s too salty,” I told her.

Of course she had to try it and quickly agreed. She immediately took her plate to the only waitress, who apologized and took it back to the kitchen to be remedied. I continued enjoying my catfish.

The plate was returned by the waitress who continued to apologize. The filet, which was a nice looking piece of fish, looked like it had been washed off with water and reheated. We both tasted it and concurred that the effort was wasted.

The waitress removed the plate and told us a new one would be forthcoming. I continued to enjoy my catfish. My wife nibbled at her salad until the waitress removed it to make room for a new meal.

New salad with all green lettuce and a lightly seasoned, new filet of mahi that my wife okayed and enjoyed. She only could eat a little bit of the mahi, so it went home with us and my catfish. I also took the salty fish spread that I’ll mix with sweet pickle relish.

During this whole process, the waitress was concerned and friendly. She and the cooking staff handled the situation responsibly and professionally. She strongly suggested that the next time, my wife order blackened, that she ask for it to be lightly seasoned. We’ll be back. There’s no reason one miscommunication will force us to go elsewhere.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Bob S
Chatsworth, Georgia
“Great little seafood restaurant!”
Reviewed June 25, 2014

Been going there for years. Fish is as good as my Florida favorites. Always fresh tasting. Just need to arrive before it gets full.

• Visited May 2014
Rome georgia
“So glad we found this place... Hidden Jewel”
Reviewed June 19, 2014

O my goodness, so glad we stopped..... A local suggested this place and as we pulled up to park we thought there is no way this place is good..... Boy were we wrong, some of the best seafood we have ever had, service was great. Very small only a few tables in there, only had to wait about 10 minutes on a Thursday night so not bad.... We will be going back soon since we only live about one hr away..... little Hidden Jewel in Ellijay...

• Visited June 2014
Adairsville, Georgia
“Great Food Very Small”
Reviewed May 16, 2014

We stopped to eat lunch here after reading the good reviews. She said it would only be a 10 minute wait but turned into 40 minutes. There's only about 7 tables. Everyone was very friendly and the food is delicious!

• Visited May 2014