“historic piece if Ayrshire”
Review of Dundonald Castle

and up
Historic Scotland Explorer Pass
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Dundonald
More attraction details
Owner description: Built in 1371, Dundonald Castle is a splendid example of a medieval tower house, with a fine barrel-vaulted ceiling in the lower hall. Sitting on a prominent hilltop in Dundonald village, Dundonald Castle commands fine views over the Firth of Clyde. The castle was built on the site of earlier castles belonging to the High Stewards of Scotland and can be regarded as the cradle of the Stewart Dynasty. Explore the high-vaulted halls and gloomy dungeons of this splendid stronghold, perched on a hill above the village. The main tower was built in the 1370s by King Robert II to mark his succession to the throne. Its heritage is explored in the visitor centre. The castle visitor's centre includes an exhibition illustrating the history of the site and a display of some of the artefacts found during archaeological excavations on the hill. There is also a souvenir shop and a small cafeteria.
Ayrshire, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“historic piece if Ayrshire”
Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

We visited here a few months ago with my in laws and our kids and everyone loved it (age range 5-63yrs)

Very reasonably priced to get into the castle and once in there the guide was very helpful and knew his stuff!

The tea room/ gift shop is a relaxing find.

A few nice walks around the castle too. Perfect for the 4 legged members of our family!!

Only suggestion would be to wrap up warm!

Visited May 2013

Ayr, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“fairytale wedding”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I grew up in Dundonald and the old ruin was part of my playground. On a trip down memory lane I discovered it had been excavated and and opened as a visitor attraction . It had gone from an overgrown ruin to a REAL castle ..revealing the most amazing vaulted hall which was intact.
So impressed was I that when my daughter announced she was getting married that was the first venue we considered.
If anyone is looking for a fairytale location this is the one. The personal service by the staff was second to none. The wedding was perfect. The photographs were breathtaking. My daughter and her husband both say the venue exceeded all expectations. Initially I thought it would be unaffordable as we were on an extremely tight budget, but like the very low ticket cost the hring for an event was more than reasonable.
I'd recomend searching the web for wedding photos taken at the castle. When my younger daughter wants to get married I'm hoping she'll opt for the same location.

Visited November 2012
3 Thank Fi W
Mallow, Ireland
90 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 178 helpful votes
“Impressive building”
Reviewed September 7, 2013

The castle is very impressively positioned on a hill with panoramic views. The general plan of the building is rather puzzling (where were the kitchens? Why is the king's bedroom over the dungeons?) but it remains very atmospheric and the vaulted ceiling is a wonder. Very helpful staff in the castle and in the adjoining visitor centre

Visited August 2013
Worksop, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Well worth a visit”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Having a break in Ayrshire and visited this castle, was amazed by the place! The visitors centre is the first thing you come across with the very friendly staff. We were had the pleasure of being escorted to the castle by a very friendly Trisha who gave us the run down on the place before allowing us to roam around. As she put it she enjoyed a good yap! Would recommend a visit as its not too expensive, although the website needs an overhaul, so dont expect much from that. The castle though, thats a different matter,do give it a look

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Penyghent
Bradford
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“A Hidden Gem”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

On holiday in Ayrshire with my partner and family we were stuck for something to do and came across a review for Dundonald Castle so decided to check it out. There's a small, free carpark and its worth first checking out the Visitors Centre which tells of the fascinating history of the Castle and surrounding area.

We then paid the £3.50 (I think - poss £3) and headed up the winding path to the castle. The views were impressive and after taking these in we headed inside and met our Guide. He told us a bit about the history of the castle and its structure as another couple joined us - pointing out some features you would never spot on your own (womans head in window!). We then headed upstairs with the guide past toilets and chimneys to the old prison pit (of 4 people I was the only one brave enough to descend into the darkness to meet the spiders). After some more history the guide left us to check out the rooftop and spectacular views before we left the castle building and circled the gounds. Keep an eye out for cool features!

All in we spent a couple of hours in the visitors centre and castle; it was interesting and picturesque and well worth a couple of quid.

The gift shop also sold some awesome gifts and may have drained our wallets somewhat!

Visited August 2013