“Bargain relaxing day out.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Alton Towers Spa

Alton Towers Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Farley
More attraction details
Owner description: Step inside the Alton Towers Spa and find yourself in a blissful oasis of luxurious tranquillity nestled inside the Alton Towers Hotel, the perfect place to let your senses wander and your cares drift away. Spoil yourself with our complete range of personalised spa treatments. Within our Aqua Relaxation Rooms every door opens to reveal a myriad of wonderful surprises. Unwind and refresh mind, body and soul as you wander from the serenity of our pool, to the calm of our Crystal Steam Room, Meditation Room, or our brand new traditional outdoor log sauna.
Lichfield, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Bargain relaxing day out.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2010

I have visited Alton Towers day spa on numerous occasions and will continue to visit to use the Aqua relaxtion rooms due to the bargain price. I am suprised by some of the reviews, They seem to be expecting a champneys experience for £10!

My partner and I both have demanding jobs and children, so every so often we decide to have a day just for us, therefore this is a cheap way to relax away from everyday stress.

The Aqua relaxation rooms are £10 off peak and £18.50 peak. For either a morning 10:30- 3pm or a evening session 4pm- 8:30pm

Roman Sauna - a tiled room with gentle steam, bit cold for my liking

Pool, whirlpool & hot-tub - nice size pool for relaxing swim, whirlpool is large area and the jacuzzi is lovely

Crystal Steam - nice hot steam room with aromatherapy oils.

Foot Reflexology - 4 footbaths available nice and relaxing, ideal while reading a book.

The Conservatory - seating area with magazines, fresh fruit and water available, you can purchase additional drinks from here.

Meditation Room - this is my favouret room, twinkling stars, heated couches and soft music, I was relaxed until I heard my partner snoring!!

The negatives are the changing rooms are small, I would say you could fit 5 maximum in the changing room, ok for the men as there are only ever a few men here! Also there is only 1 female and 1 male toilet, so make sure you don't leave it too late or you could have a queue. The spa itself is very small and all contained within the one area, however they do have a maximum capacity so booking is recomended.

The food in the hotel was terrible when we came, over priced and bland so I wouldn't recomend eating here, however there are some lovely pubs in alton to stop in for lunch.

Overal a very goof experience if you are not expecting much, at the end of the day its only £10 and where else could you spend a day for such a small amount?

Birmingham, United Kingdom
73 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 129 helpful votes
“Very relaxing - just what we needed!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2010

My friend and I have been planning a spa experience recently and after having found out about the Alton Towers Spa - Aqua Relaxation Rooms it seemed like just what we wanted. This is out first time around...and we weren't interested in any treatments but just wanted access to some relaxing spa facilities which is just what we got.

After reading other reviews we were not expecting fantastic changing facilities however it wasn't that busy and they were quite adequate for our needs. The locker system is great with the returnable £1 because it means you can get in and out of your locker as many times as you like. After changing into our swimwear and putting on our robes and slippers we returned to reception and from here we were shown around. We were given advice about the heat room etc. which was very helpful as we didn't have much experience.

My favourite three things were probably
- the meditation room - a dark room with heated tiled loungers and a ceiling with twinkling lights - you could almost fall asleep in here:)
- the roman sauna - this was a warm room but was not so hot as the dry sauna so I found it more comfortable
- the jacuzzi - just what you would expect

I didn't enjoy the sauna and steam room so much but that is likely to be because they were so hot - if this is what you are looking for however they are great and there are showers to cool off in afterwards!

Complimentary water and fruit is available or other drinks at a cost but the water was all we needed - which we had regularly to keep ourselves hydrated!!

Wooden seating was available in corners around the pool and in the conservatory but there was also 4 heated tiled seats available too. We found these very comfortable to sit and read books that we had brought!

Overall a very enjoyable experience and I would recommend - especially at such a good price - we went during half term to had to pay the full £18.50 but haven't seen it much cheaper anywhere else and for this price we weren't disappointed!

1 Thank Basilio_10
Staffordshire
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“A Complete waste of £10!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2010

I only paid £10 for my experience at Alton Towers Spa and only had to drive 7 miles to get there. It was a complete waste of money. I have been a few different spa's and had lovely relaxing days but that was not the case here. The staff were miserable on checking in and took approx 20 mins eventhough it wasn't busy. I then had to sit down in reception for a further 10 mins as 3 ladies were already in the changing rooms and as they are so small I could not go in. There is 1 ladies toilet in there are at 1 point in the day there was 9 ladies queuing. The jacuzzi was cold and was shocked that there was no comfy chairs to sit on and relax anywhere in the spa. I was never offered or given a leaflet on the treatments so I can comment on any of the treatments.

16 Thank AliBat17
Shropshire
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Better than being chucked around on Rita!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2009

New to the whole spa thing and wife and I were looking for something more relaxing to do while our kids enjoyed the theme park (DIY root canal surgery is better than the theme park). A bit of a trek through the complex to find the spa but once you do a quick change into obligatory robe and slippers is required (yes changing facilities are compact and bijou to use estate agent lingo but it wasn't that busy so it was OK). Facilities were all working when we were there, steam room and dry sauna, warm sauna if you can't stand the heat and a meditation room in semi darkness with heated beds which is excellent. Three foot spas are - well they're foot spas - they do you expect them to do and whirlpool and hot tub both in good working order. Yes you do have to switch them back on after a while but that's hardly a major inconvenience and I suspect that's how they're supposed to work. You pay for drinks - we stuck to the free water and there's a bit of complimentary fruit available too. Reading material a bit limited (esp for blokes) so bear that in mind.

Pool larger than many, 0.9 - 1.3m but OK for the odd swim around and about the right temp I woud say. Cooling showers have four settings from warm through hot to downright freezing depending on which option you pick. Conservatory area distinctly cooler put probably hotter on a sunny day, numbers seem to be limited so plenty of places to sit and by late afternoon on a Saturday when the park was still rammed we had the place to ourselves.

Overall I would say this was clean and pretty well equipped for the price. Staff were helpful, offered treatments (none taken up) but didn't push, would definitely use again and a great alternative to pulling 4 Gs on Oblivion!!

2 Thank Andrew B
Staffs
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Poor value for money.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2009

- Changing area is tiny just enough room for myself and two girlfriends to change in, and communal (no private changing area available at all)
- 1 ladies toilet for the whole spa which the staff also have to use.
- Towels and robes provided were rough not at all soft.
- No alternative robe available for myself as was 7 months pregnant at time mine barely met in the middle.
- Free drinks are water from water cooler (other drinks are available but at a cost)
- Coffee / tea is charged for and is served in a plastic cup.
- Light lunch is just that very light !! All 3 of us were still hungry afterwards. Not hot drink available with lunch.
- No where to sit and relax in comfort wooden recliners where available but only approx 4 for the whole spa and no cushions provided.
- Relaxation room is tiny small swimming pool, whirlpool wasnt working fully and have to keep getting out to switch it back on.
- 3 foot spas available to use but only 1 working fully.
- Only really tiled heated seating availbale to sit on which becomes uncomfy after a while.
- Had to walk back through the actual hotel and sit in the hotel restaraunt with non spa guests for lunch whilst wearing robes and slippers !!
- Not enough to do for a whole day package unless you have many treatments, we were bored, hungry and looking forward to a hot drink and a comfy seat.

Half day packages are available and this is probably the best idea.
The treatments we had were good only complaint had over that was they didnt use hair bands so my hair was left full of products from the facial i had.

Staff were very friendly and helpful but we did feel sorry for them as every person who was at the spa on the day we went was complaining about how the website shows the spa. It just left us feeling disappointed instead of relaxed really.

We usually go to eden day spa but as Alton towers is slightly cheaper and looked good online we thought we would try it. We will defo not be going back and would much rather pay the extra for Eden.

1 Thank Bellesmamma