“Going downhill fast...”

Stratford Motor Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in East Ellijay
Reviewed January 9, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Stratford Inn several times when we were looking for our retirement home in Ellijay and it was really a nice place. The atmosphere was nice; the rooms were clean and comfortable; the continental breakfast was satisfying and the rates were reasonable. That was 10 years ago. Since then, we've recommended the Stratford several times.
This past Thanksgiving weekend, all of our children were going to be in Ellijay, so we eventually made arrangements for them to stay at the Inn. The reason I used the word "eventually" is because no one answered the phone. After many tries, I finally got someone who didn't sound as if he were able to make reservations or do much of anything.
Anyway, when the first of our kids got there, they looked around and looked at the room and decided they wouldn't be comfortable there and moved to the Best Western. I hate to write a negative review for the Stratford because it's locally-owned and we're losing so many places like that. But facts are facts.
I am so sorry it's changed and that I don't feel as if I can recommend it anymore. It used to be a delightful place. So sad for Ellijay and Gilmer County.

Room Tip: Go to the Best Western!!!
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Winddancer1943

Reviewed January 17, 2011

My Wife, her 2 sisters, and myself were traveling to another town, but we couldn't get to the cabin we had reserved because of the heavy snows.We stumbled upon the Stratford Inn quite by accident, but found the rooms to be well equipped, clean, and with comfortable beds.The only complaint I had was the tv remote didn't work, although it was really no big deal, and I didn't report it. I'm fairly sure they would have gladly fixed the problem promptly.
And getting stuck in the parking lot , in the ice ! Mother Natures fault, not neccesarily Stratford's fault ! Overall, a nice , almost quaint, motor Inn.If we ever have a need to travel back through, I would certainly stay again !

Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank TerryO59
Reviewed February 13, 2010

We needed to stay one night in Ellijay and this property met our needs. It is a decent, basic motel with an above average continental breakfast included.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank wishiwasrich
Reviewed December 20, 2009

I wanted to get out of town, but stay close, so I found the Stratford Motor Inn. Made my reservations and headed up the next weekend. Right off 515 in Ellijay, it's close to some local restaurants and grocery stores. They have a small fridge in the room which was clean and neat. Both the women that work the desk are great! They are friendly and will help you with anything! Plus, they have a great breakfast, with sausage gravy and biscuits, fruit, cereal, muffins, bagels, etc! As a woman traveling by herself, I felt safe at the Stratford. Now if you're looking for a 5-star, upscale spa-like resort, head on into Atlanta and find a place. But if you're looking for a nice, comfy, reasonably priced stay, close to Blue Ridge and the north Georgia Mountains....the Stratford is worth a look-see! I truly enjoyed my mini-vacation and look forward to going back again very soon!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo
3  Thank sheilals
Reviewed June 28, 2009

We stayed here one night while passing thru the town of East Ellijay. We checked out two other local hotels before deciding on this on. From the outside the place looks almost like a southern plantation. The room was fine and the bed was comfortable. Breakfast is included with the price of the room. Basic cereals, toast, biscuits and gravy, coffee, etc.. There's also a pool behind the breakfast room to use. The area is safe and secure.
The motel is within walking distance of a few local and fast food restaurants. This help decide our decision to stay here.
We had a good nights sleep and would stay here againg if ever in the area.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank Aerowing
Reviewed March 30, 2008

I see by the other reviews on here that some people have had nice rooms here. Unfortunately, I wasn't one of them. My room was in a pretty run down condition with dirty walls and it literally had some holes in the walls. I will say that they have an absolutely beautiful breakfast area. Asthectically it is actually one the nicest looking breakfast rooms I have seen in a long time. I'm so disappointed that my sleeping room wasn't as nice. But at $54.95 (including tax) it may have been overpriced...at least the rooom in had anyway. I have to say that the staff are (dare I say it...) rather odd and not very professional. If I could have slept in the breakfast room I would been one happy camper.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank Ozcfied
Reviewed March 28, 2007

I attend a Veterans Reunion in Ellijay every year. I found the Stratford the best place to stay. The staff are friendly and will do anything to make your stay better. I will be back at the end of April and know my room will be ready. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. Keep up the great work.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank CarolinaParatrooper
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Jasper
Seventy-four Ranch
Seventy-four Ranch
#2 of 4 in Jasper

Been to Stratford Motor Inn? Share your experiences!