“Wow!”

Cafe Sababa - Mediterranean Grill
Ranked #10 of 68 Restaurants in Dunwoody
Cuisines: Greek, Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, Israeli
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating
Description: In both Hebrew and Arabic, the word "sababa" is slang for "awesome," "fun," or "cool." But it originates from Arabic poetry and literally means "ardent love," or "fervent longing." At Cafe Sababa, we strive to offer you an awesome, fun and cool culinary experience with our fresh, authentic Mediterranean and Middle Eastern dishes including grilled chicken, fish, beef and lamb, and we hope you will develop an ardent love for our food and a fervent longing to visit us again and again. Chef/Owner Doni Tamli has over 25 years of restaurant and catering experience. A native of the seaside city of Acco, Israel, Chef Tamli brings his knowledge of the spices and cooking styles of the Mediterranean and Middle East and offers his unique versions of traditional favorites. Chef Tamli owns Cafe Sababa with his wife, Ann, a third-generation native Atlantan. Their two sons, Ariel and Gil, work in the restaurant as well. We offer dine-in, take-out and catering services. Cafe Sababa's lamb burger was noted as a "Dish Worth The Drive" on Atlanta Eats TV in November 2013. The restaurant was voted as one of Atlanta's top Middle Eastern/Eastern Mediterranean Restaurants in a poll by the Atlanta Journal/Constitution in 2012, and was honored by the Dunwoody Chamber of Commerce as the runner up for the 2011 Best of Dunwoody "Good Eats" Business Award.
Reviewed October 2, 2012

My wife are spending a week in the area to find a new place to live as we will be moving down here next month. We could not have picked a better place for our first meal. The owner was personable, friendly and helpful with menu suggestions. The lamb burger was tasty and juicy...better than anything I could have come up with, and I cook a lot. We can't wait to go back!

1  Thank CineGraphic

Reviewed August 14, 2012

The food, service and ambience of Cafe Sababa is so good I find myself eating here 2 to 3 times a month.
Especially good hummus and falafel prepared by Israeli born chef. Also, love the big salads, such as their new curried chicken salad. The scoop of curried chicken salad is placed on a large green salad.
All of the homemade dressings and sauces are great. Plus the prices are very reasonable.

1  Thank panpanda
Reviewed July 22, 2012

This is my new favorite restaurant. Friendly and unpretentious with absolutely some of the best food I've ever tasted. We will definitely go back. I'm thrilled to find such lovingly prepared and excellent cuisine right around the corner. The owner and staff clearly take pride in the food they serve and the relaxed atmosphere they create.

1  Thank pickytraveler2009
Reviewed June 19, 2012

Had the falafel and hummus app and it was better than average. Had the lamb burger and sababa salad side. The burger was good, but the sababa salad was outstanding.

Good little family neighborhood place. I'd go back if for nothing else than the friendly service.

1  Thank teul2
Reviewed May 21, 2012

We were in Atlanta over the weekend and had one stop to make in Dunwoody before heading to our hotel. I looked for a restaurant on Trip Advisor, not really expecting much. This one popped up at the top and since my husband I both love Mediterranean food, we decided to give it a go.

It's located in a strip mall, wedged between a Thai restaurant and a shop, I think. It's very small on the inside, maybe about 15 tables, and 2 tables outside on the sidewalk. The kitchen takes up a large section of the back half of the narrow space. The tables are quite close together, but we got used to that kind of dining in Paris. You may sit anywhere you like and the server was with us immediately. They have a small wine and beer list, as well as soft drinks.

I was having a hard time choosing between the falafel platter and the chicken kabobs, but ultimately went with the falafels. My husband had the special of the evening, a kind of slow-cooked beef over a bed of rice. Both meals were very tasty. The falafel platter comes with a roasted eggplant dip and hummus, 4 falafel balls (which were small, but honestly I couldn't have finished the dinner if they had been any bigger), a chopped salad, and pita wedges. It was just really good Mediterranean food. A few minutes after we had been served, the (owner?) came over and asked us if everything was OK. I really love that kind of service. he didn't stay and chat, just wanted to make sure we were pleased. Then he moved on to the next table.

I have the definite sense that this is a family-run business with a son or nephew working the tables out front and dad/uncle running the kitchen in the back. They are relaxed in their service and that makes the whole meal so much more enjoyable. And the entire bill was about $30, which I think is a great value. Added bonus: there is art for sale on the walls, if you're interested!

2  Thank Gymgirltravels