“I genuinely feared for my life.”

Comfort Suites Gwinnett Place
Ranked #22 of 24 Hotels in Duluth
Rincon, Georgia
“I genuinely feared for my life.”
Reviewed October 1, 2013

This place has no business wearing the "Comfort Suites" badge. The price should have told me what to expect because it was in the 50-60 dollar range. (in fairness, I've found some wonderful places in the country for 5-60 bucks) Still I figured that it couldn't be too bad if it was Comfort Suites. After all, this is the flagship of the Choice Hotels chain. Wow, was I wrong. The front desk people just grunted at me when I checked in. The lobby had strange people hanging out and I saw the breakfast area. I knew right then that I would be going out for breakfast in the morning. The room was as bad as any place I'd stayed in my life. Horrible! The shower head was broken, the drapes were broken and wouldn't close. (Ground floor room) The carpet and linens were in awful repair. The hallways were loud and smelly. Later that night I thought I'd have a walk around the building and hookers were yelling at me from the upper floors of the hotel. Guys were obviously dealing drugs in the parking lot. This place is in the shadow of the Marriott that i have stayed at many times before. How can one block of a neighborhood be so much worse than the rest? I'm not lying, I thought I may get assaulted in the parking lot. Bad, bad bad! I sent an email to the manager after the visit and took the Choice Hotels survey. I was very honest about my disappointment and no reply whatsoever. I can only assume that they hear this all of the time and just don't care. Never again will I even drive through the parking lot of this place. Do yourself a favor and don't stay here at any price.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Steve B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Fort Wayne
Reviewed September 1, 2013

I've stayed at Comfort Suites in the past & this one did not live up to the standards! It was okay at best, but not what you'd expect. Smelled, pool area should be condemned, had to ask for extra towels each night. Not a good experience & certainly overpriced. This was a two star hotel at best...being generous.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Average at best , cheap place to stay , I was in town for a fling and stayed in the King Suite it was somewhat clean except for the sofa bed , it was down right NASTY !!! My girl nor I would touch the thing!! The King size bed was tested thoroughly and did pass the test (didn't squeak) and was fairly clean , bathroom was decent , did have some tiles missing ? And had silver fish running around in there when I arrived .....eew! We did have plenty of towels tho :). I really feel bad for Julie Cox and the way that they have mistreated her! Don't think I'll stay here again, too many nice hotels in this area.

• Stayed July 2013
North Augusta, SC
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I stay in the area often for business reasons and have found that the Comfort Suites offers comfortable accommodations for the price. Although the rooms are dated, they are clean, and the bed is firm. I had no problem with the wifi. Breakfast could be a little more substantial. Hotel seems very busy, but my room was quiet.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 13, 2013

I picked Comfort Suites to make our Youth Groups reservation at because we always enjoy the value and size of their rooms! Well make note that all Comfort Suites are not the same!!! When we arrived with our group of 45 adults and teens we checked in and received our keys for 12 rooms! All seemed well until we got to the 2nd floor and smelled a horribly nasty smell! Well we overlooked that only to be continually disappointed! The rooms we booked slept 6 with 2 queen beds and sleeper sofa as I was told by Greg Hughes the front desk manager, but we had no sheets or any bedding for the sleeper sofas. I went down to the front desk and ask Michelle for sheets and she replied that they did not have any! So the 1st night some literally slept on dirty couches with NO sheets! When we awoke the next morning we started realizing that we only had 2 towels per room!!! So out of immediate need some shared! When we went to head out for our conference I stopped by the front desk and spoke with Greg and told him to please make sure we have sheets for each sofa bed and adequate towels for the next morning. He said he would be sure we did. We didn't arrive back to the hotel till around 10pm that night and when we did none of my request had been taken care of! No sheets and now some of the rooms had NO towels, some had their wet, dirty, used towels folded and put back on towel rack as though they were clean!!! For 45 people we had 18 towels!!! I went again to the front desk and spoke with Michelle who said there was "nothing she could do about it!" So once again the next morning we all shared towels! Gross huh??? As soon as we checked out I sent a complaint to Greg and ask for a refund! He put me off for a week and finally said my General Manager David Smith is going to conference call you at 2:00pm today, which was Wednesday, July 10th! Well that never happened so I called back and was basically told by Greg that he didn't know why Mr. Smith was not calling me back! I did forget to mention earlier that I did make an official complaint with Choice Hotels Corporate office, but because it was a group reservation it had to be handled by the hotel!!! So they were no help at all! To make matters even worse when we received our Credit Card statement they charge us for 14 rooms instead of 12!!! I have given the hotel ample time to resolve the complaint, but they refuse! So I am proceeding by letting everyone know this is the WORST hotel experience I have ever had! Now I will be disputing the charges through our churches credit card company!

• Stayed June 2013
5 Thank JulieCox
Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

Good location if attending something at the Gwinette Center Arena. Other than that it's really a poor choice. It's not clean, service was poor and property not well maintained. If I had not been with a group I would have certainly changed hotels.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank LoriPickle
Albany, Georgia
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Came here for a basketball tournament. The rooms are definitely outdated. The shower curtain rod was falling down, which caused the shower curtain not to stay closed. The tile around the baseboard n the bathroom was missing in spots. The carpet was horribly dirty and disgusting! The ladies bathroom next to the gym had feces around the inside bowl like it hadn't been cleaned in days. There was no paper towels or hand soap in that bathroom either. Then the breakfast was mediocre! I will try to upload pictures so you can see for yourself! I wouldn't recommend this hotel to my worse enemy!!!

• Stayed May 2013