“Good Value but not super clean...”

Best Western Gwinnett Center Hotel
Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Duluth
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We stayed at this hotel around the Labor Day week. We booked 2 rooms. My parents' room was very clean, even the furniture was newer. Our room however, was older, smelt musty and not particularly clean, especially the bathroom area, it was not cleaned thoroughly. The worst thing was that I had a skin reaction after the trip, went to my doctor and she told me it was likely scabies that I got from staying at the hotel or using their towels (fortunately, I was the only one in our party that caught that). This is our second time staying at this hotel. THis is an older property that needs to be renovated and thoroughly cleaned again. I don't think we'll come back to the same hotel the next time we are back in Duluth.
The breakfast selections were very good for the value. The breakfast area was also kept very clean.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
AnAtlantaConcierge, Director of Social Media at Best Western Gwinnett Center Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2013

We are so sorry about your skin reaction. We would appreciate it if you would call the hotel at 770-935-7171 and let us know which room you were in so that we can STRIP that room from ceiling to floor, have it treated and make sure this does not happen again. Once again, we are so sorry for your skin reaction.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

This is an older property, perhaps was a Sleep Inn originally, or maybe it is an original HIX. In any case, the public areas are pretty small and there is only one elevator. But there are nice, carpeted staircases at each end of the building.

The room itself seemed to be pretty standard for this chain. Comfortable bed, good shower head, clean, nice large desk. It was quiet and the neighborhood seemed safe even late at night. Overall this property was a great value for the rate I paid.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
AnAtlantaConcierge, Director of Social Media at Best Western Gwinnett Center Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review. We have always been a Holiday Inn Express, since our construction. We are so happy that you feel we were an excellent value.Indeed, we are in a great and safe location! Do come again!!

Reviewed September 10, 2013

Hotel was renovated, but it needs renovating again. It is not bad, but you could see traces of aging. We had LG AC working very well and it dd turn itself on and off automatically during the night, it was quiet too. In our friends room, it was much older unit... We got a room at the hotel front and I thought it will be noisy, it was not. However, the other side is absolutely quiet.
Breakfast area is small and tables are not pointed corner to corner so it is impossible to walk around. Breakfast is a typical very good HI Expres breakfast. Parking area is well lit and secure. Hotel is at the very good location. My bed was comfortable, a lot of hard and soft pillows for a good night sleep. Housekeeping did a good job.

Room Tip: Room in the back side are QUIET
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
AnAtlantaConcierge, Director of Social Media at Best Western Gwinnett Center Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2013

Dear guest,

I am glad overall that you liked our hotel. The hotel was built when the Olympics were here in the late nineties so there are newer hotels than ours but I feel you won't find one in our area with a more customer orientated staff than ours. But, yes, I am prejudiced! Do please come again.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

The receptionist was very friendly and recommended a few things for us so that was a plus. First thing we notice was the 1st floor hallway smelt old and musty. The room was old looking and the floor felt very wet/damp. The bathroom was outdated and definitely needs to be updated. The bed was very uncomfortable. I have stayed at many HIE's and this definitely is on the low end.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Dear VALUED guest,

I am so sorry you were not impressed with our hotel. We have learned from other reviews that the comfort of our beds is a subjective thing: one reviewer "slept like a log", another felt they were "too soft" and still another felt they were " hard as rocks". While we feel that our marble-counter, amenity-filled bathroom is up to date, I wanted to assure you that we are trying to locate the smell you were referring to on the first floor and when we find it, we will take care of it. We DO want our hotel to appear fresh.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

The staff here is very helpful. The rooms are clean with a great H/C. Plenty of hot water for long showers and extra towels in room.
Breakfast was bacon, eggs (scrambled and hard boiled) pancakes, toast, English muffins, bagel and assorted pastry. Three types of juices, coffee, tea, milk, fresh fruit and yogurt for an all around full breakfast

• Stayed: September 2013
AnAtlantaConcierge, Director of Social Media at Best Western Gwinnett Center Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

We are so pleased you liked our hotel. You mentioned the pancakes. Our guests get a hoot out of watching them come out of the machine. I hope you tried them! Do come again.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

I was super pleased with the appearance of the hotel and the room. I was even more pleased with the gentlemen at the front desk. He was so nice. I will say two big negatives for me though: For such an up to date looking hotel the beds were HARD AS A ROCk and very difficult to sleep on. In addition, there is only a sheer curtan over the window to the outside and there was a street light blaring in on me the whole night.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
AnAtlantaConcierge, Director of Social Media at Best Western Gwinnett Center Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

RayRayJulian,

Thank you for having stayed with us and liking the appearance of our hotel. Just wanted to let you know that I hope you come again. AND IF YOU DO, behind that sheer curtain is a white plastic black out curtain which when the guest first enters is drawn open and is to the sides. I am sorry the light kept you awake. Thank you, once again.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

Perfect spot for a getaway. I would recommend this to everyone. I was pressed by Elane Kim the manager, another gentlemen that helped us and more impressed when the opener himself welcomed us personally.

• Stayed: July 2013
AnAtlantaConcierge, Director of Social Media at Best Western Gwinnett Center Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Dear valued guest,
We are SO pleased that you were happy meeting our General Manager, Elena Kim and our "opener", as you called him. Sam, the owner, stops by every day to check on the property and to mingle with his guests. The only exception is when he is in the Blue Ridge Mountains at our property, there. We were so happy to host your reunion and we do hope you will return!!!!