“Friendly Staff - Above and Beyond!”

Hampton Inn & Suites Atlanta/Duluth/Gwinnett County
Ranked #3 of 24 Hotels in Duluth
“Friendly Staff - Above and Beyond!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014

Our front desk manager went above and beyond to help us out during our stay. Our son had been in an accident and we needed special help to accomodate his needs. This wonderful lady helped choose a room with easy access, immediately had extra pillows sent up, provided us with necessary toiletries since we had not planned an overnight stay, then even called us to let us know there were warm cookies ready downstairs. She made us feel at home and cared for during a difficult time. The hotel atmosphere was welcoming and comfortable. This is why we always choose Hampton Inn when we are away from home.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

1 Thank 167lisao

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2014

The negatives: The hotel was under renovation which did not create a positive first image. The beds were uncomfortable. The internet did not work in all areas of the room. The positives: The staff members were extremely polite and friendly. They made up for the negatives that I encountered. The free breakfast was very enjoyable. The renovations should make the hotel more inviting in the future.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Grayson, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2014

Nice, clean hotel. I live in the area and wanted to get out of the house for a quiet anniversary weekend with my wife. It wasn't exactly quiet due to the loud kids who decided to play right outside our door. I informed the front desk and they called whomever was on our floor with kids. They got quiet eventually. The room was very clean, lots of amenities for the price. Other than the noise, my stay was decent. Not a five star hotel of course but relatively good for $80.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Cypress, Texas, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2014

We stayed here for 5 days for a a business trip. My co-workers and I agreed on the following about the hotel.

The location of the hotel is great and we could get anywhere in Atlanta we needed without much fuss.

The rooms are clean including the bathroom, but they are very worn and the rooms need an update. The carpet seems to be sticky in some spots and the bathroom shower walls are peeling a bit. I would also run out of hot water during showers at night. The beds are awful and we all agreed that they caused us to wake up multiple times during the night since they were so bad. Another very annoying feature was that the heating unit has to have the fan running the whole night in order to keep the room warm. It does not turn off and on when the temperature gets colder, it just has to be on the whole time.

The main check in area was being updated and it does look very nice. The workout room was adequate, but I found the headphone jacks were broken where I could only get sound out of one side of my headphones.

The free breakfast was decent and they tried to change things up each day. It is more than adequate for a free breakfast.

The service is the only saving grace here. The staff are excellent and they even provided pizza for us when we were stuck in the hotel due to the snow. They were always working hard to make sure that were as comfortable as possible, but even they have their limitations when working with a room as bad as these.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Franklin, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

Stayed here for a volleyball tournament - the only issue we was actually (I think) due to the booking through the tournament - they only had one room booked instead of three - but the wonderful check-in receptionist found 2 more rooms and all was good! Nice hotel, friendly staff & great location.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Graham, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2014

Wonderful place to stay. Extremely friendly and clean place. Bed a little small for 2 people but everything else was exceptional. New renovated lobby which is so soothing and inviting. Breakfast bar wonderful and the time frame is long enough that you dont have to wake up at the crack of dawn to enjoy. Thanks Hampton Inn.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Birmingham, Alabama
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2014

This is an update to a prior review from March 2011...

Pros: Very friendly and helpful front desk employees; good waffles at breakfast

Now for the bad...

I booked a room for three nights using Hilton Honor points, as my mother was in the hospital nearby. I booked a non-smoking room and I reinforce this on every reservation.

Upon arrival, I asked if there was an upgrade available and there was...to a one-bedroom suite (I am a Diamond member). Upon stepping off the elevator on the 8th floor (this is the top floor), I noticed an odd smell, which was also present in my room. I thought is was a old tobacco smoke smell, but assumed it was something else since I had requested a non-smoking room. I did not think anything else about it that night because it was late and I had driven a long distance.

My mom was released from the hospital one day early, so I inquired at the front desk about checking out early upon returning from the hospital on my second day. The lady (who was very nice) said this would be no problem and that the Hilton points for the third night would be credited back to my account. Very accommodating and nice...

However...upon stepping off the elevator, the smell of tobacco smoke was very obvious. After packing my belongings I stopped on another floor to check the smoking situation. I realized the room signs on the 8th floor did NOT have the "No Smoking" emblem on them. The floor I looked at (the 6th floor, I believe) did have the emblem on the room signs. This explained the odor on the 8th floor and in my room. I did not inquire about this at the front desk when I checked out because they were busy.

I called the hotel to confirm that a few rooms on the 8th floor had been converted to non-smoking. Hotels must learn that simply "converting" a few smoking rooms to non-smoking on a smoking floor still makes the rooms smoking, since there is no invisible barrier to stop the smoke from spreading. When someone requests a non-smoking room, they expect it to be on a non-smoking floor. I was subjected to secondhand and thirdhand smoke. Hotel management must be aware that some people are highly allergic to tobacco smoke and this can cause respiratory problems.

Other notes...as other reviewers have pointed out, the rooms are in need of updating. The suite I was in did have new charging ports for electronic devices, though. However, the carpet was very worn. The eggs at the breakfast buffet were simply awful (once again, as other reviewers have pointed out) and there was no meat (bacon or sausage) either morning I partook of the breakfast buffet. I also concur with what other reviewers have stated regarding toilets being very noisy and exposed pipes under the bathroom sink.

The other Hampton Inns in the area (I-85 @ Sugarloaf, Lawrenceville, and Peachtree Corners/Norcross) are 100% non-smoking. I can no longer recommend this Hampton Inn. Hotels must stop this "non-smoking rooms on a smoking floor" nonsense. It is unacceptable.

Room Tip: Ensure you are staying on a 100% non-smoking floor. Be sure the non-smoking emblem is on the room si...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank MisterGrace
Jim Q, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Atlanta/Duluth/Gwinnett County, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Thank you for your review. I completely understand your point about smoking rooms. I am happy to report that as of March 1st, 2014, there is no smoking anywhere inside the hotel, no guest rooms and no public areas. You stayed with us during a brief transitional period when there were a handful of smoking rooms left. But of course, anyone who specifically requests non-smoking should never have been put on a floor with any smoking room. I hope you will give us another try on your next trip to the area.