“Not worth the time...”

Extended Stay America - Atlanta - Gwinnett Place
Ranked #20 of 25 Hotels in Duluth
Reviewed September 6, 2012

We stayed here over Labor day weekend. We arrive at hotel around 7 pm. Nobody was at front desk, needed to wait for couple of min to find anybody who works for hotel. Never mind, she gave us key to room (we had 2 room reserved). Went up to room, we can hear kids screaming from which supposed to be the room for tonight. Key did not work, went down to front desk, then she told us that room is NOT ready. It is not 11 am, but 7 pm. Isn't all room supposed to be ready by then for new occupant guest??!! We finally got room. When I book room, I didn't expect any hotels still allow guest to SMOKE! The room was STINK with all cigarette smoke! Not only that, it was DIRTY! Then next day, room was never cleaned. That time, we were first told there is NO cleaning service unless you stay over one week! If you want non stink, clean room with house keeper comes every day, this is NOT the place you should stay!!

Room Tip: Not this hotel but hotel next to it.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Atlanta - Gwinnett Place, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

Lucy - Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your experience at our hotel. Providing for your total satisfaction, from the moment you arrive to the moment you depart, is my staff's primary duty. Hearing that we failed in your case is truly disheartening, and for that, I offer you my sincerest apology.

Please understand that maintain strict quality control standards, which demand that every room is inspected for cleanliness and smell prior to making it available to our guests. In addition, all rooms shoudl be ready for guests by 3pm on the date of check-in. Clearly there was a failure in our system during your stay.

As well, we work to eliminate any noise issues which might affect our guests. It seems that we were unable to do so in your case and for that I am very sorry.

In response to your comments, I’ve personally met with all of our staff and used your review to demonstrate in which specific areas we can improve.

Again, I apologize and promise you that we are committed to your total satisfaction. If there is anything you would like to discuss further with me or our guest relations team, please don't hesitate to contact us by visiting our website and clicking on the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page. I do hope you will give us the honor of having you as a guest again if future travels will bring you into our area.

Reviewed July 25, 2012

I don’t know where to begin, I checked into this hotel thinking that I can get a better experience due to some review that I read big mistake. first too close to i-85 can't sleep then I woke up in the morning to go to my meeting, there are some guys in the hallway smoking weed, came back and find out my room hasn't been clean then went to the front desk to ask why, I can't believe what I was told the lady said my room cannot be clean because I’m only staying for 4 days that I will have to extend my stay if I want my room to be clean that’s why we call it extended stay, Second day I asked for new towel, a lady said I should go and bring the old ones before I can get another. I just can't keep going on but I will not stay in this hotel anymore even for free.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Atlanta - Gwinnett Place, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2012

As this hotel’s manager, I challenge our staff to continually improve the experience of our guests, from the cleanliness of our rooms, to the courteous professionalism of our staff, to the fresh smells throughout our property. Unfortunately, in your situation, it is clear that we were unsuccessful in achieving these goals. Given our belief that guests like you are our most valuable asset, this failure is particularly troubling. Your review has caused us to take a serious look at the systems we have in place to handle our day to day operations and we will be making modifications as appropriate.

Reviewed July 11, 2012

I have just began traveling within the U.S. in the past year and decided to relocate to GA. While apartment hunting, I needed to find an extended stay hotel. Nothing major, therefore, I wasn't looking for extravagant, but a decent, reasonably priced establishment. I have stayed in two separate hotels prior to arriving here at Suburban within an hour drive of each. Therefore, I have something that I can compare it to. I prefer Suburban over the two rather than Intown Suites for several of reasons. It is an indoor facility with cameras in which I feel much safer; There is always someone at the front desk 24 hours; You can always request for linen, toiletries, etc whenever needed; they have a very convenient laundry room with vending machines, one with snacks and the other drinks and a nice size table to fold; there are multiple entrances with plenty of parking space on every side of a well lit building with sections for THE smokers to avoid offensive smells for us non smokers in our rooms; So if you are on a budget, but want at least the basic standard NEEDS met, such as cleanliness; housekeeping once per week; no bugs biting; a form of simple cooking provided; somewhere to at least hang your clothes; a desk to do some work; lifted nightstand to read; a good size comfortable bed for one or two people; a lounge chair and stool to relax and watch the tube without having to lay down in the bed you would spend some hours of rest in; a nice size non extravagant but clean bathroom to handle all personal hygiene care; room to move around and get to each entity mentioned above without having only walked 10 feet; clean pan, drinking glasses, tea cups, and cooking utensils wrapped up in saran wrap; good cabinet and draw space for longer stay customers; clean and fresh smelling linen provided; good AC that works without any strange smelling fumes; and a professional staff, then Suburban is a decent place to stay at a VERY VERY reasonable price. Like anywhere you go, you will have some situations where it will be bad experiences and some good different time, different day, different people, under different situations. Location is excellent in the center I realize in life, I can make a loooong list of all the wrong and compare it to other alike businesses, but unless there is a pattern, and the establishment not willing to compromise, or improve their product or service, this is where the reviews play a part in keeping a paper trail of quality control of customer service and product and service ratings. Unfortunately there was an event while I was staying there during the time of a very heart breaking crime that the public is aware because the media broadcasted it in the news; and like everyone else, fear and questions arose as to should I leave and go to another hotel and would I ever come back to this facility in the future if needed? Questions and concern of security as well was an issue. Nevertheless, I realized that no matter who, when, or where we are, even the highly rated secured facilities such as banks, even the White House, had security compromised and either someone got in that should have not been able to, or crimes were committed more likely more than once with cameras, cops with guns and other weapons and a badge could not stop perpetrators. Therefore, if it is a monetary issue, I will choose Suburban, but whenever I have the finances for short stay only, I will go to the major hotels.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Atlanta - Gwinnett Place, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2012

It was very kind of you to for take the time to publish such a positive review of your stay at the Extended Stay Deluxe Atlanta Gwinnett Place. It's always satisfying to read positive feedback from our valued guests, like you. Although some companies run extravagant advertising campaigns for their hotels, we believe that the best kind of marketing is the public praise we get from our millions of happy customers. That's why the biggest investment we make is in our customers. Our staff is continually coached on how to best provide professional, accommodating, and friendly service to every guest. It sounds like we hit a home run in your case!

Reviewed July 1, 2012

My family recently moved to GA from CA and we stayed at the Extended Stay Deluxe Hotel in Duluth, GA while we were house shopping. The accommodations were very nice, clean and the hotel service was excellent! The staff always had a smile on their face and willing to do anything to help us. We have two dogs and this was difficult to say the least for our move. But this hotel is dog friendly and is very accommodating for your pets. In fact, while house hunting one day, we came back and our dog who has crate anxiety had busted out of his crate, and tore up the couch getting out (we had to put the couch in front of the crate to keep our dog in his crate)! We were just sick when we got back to the hotel and saw what he had done! But the hotel management were so wonderful about it! They said the couch was due to be replaced anyway and they didn't charge us anything! I couldn't believe it! I was so impressed with their desire to keep our stay there affordable and comfortable! I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Cyndi1217

I would like to personally thank you for taking time out to write such wonderful things about your experience at Extended Stay Deluxe Atlanta Gwinnett Place. Our hotel is totally committed to the satisfaction of every guest who walks through our doors, which is why it is so rewarding to get feedback like yours; it tells us that we are delivering on that commitment. Our business is one in which the staff gets to know our guests, who sometimes stay with us for weeks or months. We believe that building a professional, courteous, and accommodating relationship with our customers will continue to bring them back for future stays.

Reviewed June 1, 2012

I stay in hotels at least 50 weeks out of the year. This began as a convenience stay based on location for a work project. Long after it was no longer a convenient location I stayed here because it felt more like home than any other place I've ever stayed. It was also a great place from which to conduct business. The staff was so attentive and responsive, it didn't feel like I was paying a hotel rate, but rather I was getting a steal of a deal on some payroll. The lobby and common areas are resort-like. Maintenance literally responded within one minute both times I needed them (for things I broke or messed up).
No exaggeration - When I finally had to leave a couple days ago, it was an emotional departure for myself and for the staff members that have become my friends.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed May 23, 2012

We stayed at this hotel because we were having renovation done at our home and we really did feel like home away from home at this location. Staff was really helpful, friendly, and the facility was clean. Staff was prompt and very forthcoming in everything we asked or needed from them. We are absolutely and completely happy that we chose this facility.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank taylor f

Reviewed May 13, 2012

This is not the kind of place you want to bring your family, There where stains on everything including the mattress blankets and sofa Even a mysterious brown stain on the bathroom wall. The entire second floor smelt like curry and body odor. Another fault was the spot light that shines directly into the room, design flaw i guess. The front desk help seems to flirt with single males and will try to look for an excuse to get into your room and "help" you. Do not stay here stop being cheap and fork up the extra 25$ and stay at a better hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business

I recently received a copy of your review of the Extended Stay Deluxe Atlanta Gwinnett Place. Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

Like most extended stay hotels, our hotel provides different levels of housekeeping service based on the length of our guest’s stay, with additional services available for a nominal charge. I regret that we did not properly explain our services to you, and caused your stay to be less than satisfactory. Obviously, our staff training failed during your stay, something that I have brought to the attention of our staff with the expectation that such an incident will not occur again.