“Disappointment”

Residence Inn Atlanta Duluth/Gwinnett Place
Ranked #15 of 24 Hotels in Duluth
Reviewed January 5, 2014

I've stayed here twice and been twice disappointed. On my last stay there were serious issues with the room's cleanliness and I was impressed that management credited me for the stay. This time the issue was the complimentary breakfast. The breakfast was scheduled to be open from 6-9 AM. At 6:30 AM it had not been set up and the room was dark. A few employees were scurrying around trying to get some items set up. There was not even a pot of coffee. The only items out were a few muffins. The oatmeal was uncooked and nothing hot was available. The staff said they were running a "little late" but by 7:00 AM they still had no hot food. This hotel is very convenient for my business travel to the area, and I love the large rooms and amenities, but after two disappointments I may use one of the other chains located nearby.

Room Tip: Bring a coat in the winter. Breakfast buffet is in a separate room from the guest rooms. You need...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Residence Inn Atlanta Duluth/Gwinnett Place

Reviewed December 31, 2013

5 stars all the way. Spacious and well appointed rooms. Grand staff. Hot breakfast was very good and the kitchen staff kept on pouring it on. Robust wi-fi. I could go on and on but you get the point....

The breakfast area is smaller than it should be for a hotel this size and can be are a lot of families. Early breakfast is suggested.

Room Tip: Recommend asking for the first floor.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank KeithandJanie
Reviewed December 8, 2013

WOW was I shocked. This had to be one of the best stays I have had in a long time. Nice clean big room. I booked through Priceline and named my own price and it was well worth it. The staff member at the front desk greeted us with a smile. She was very helpful and pleasant. I cant wait to go visit Atlanta again because this is the hotel for me.

Room Tip: This hotel has everything for the business person or family.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ltramon45
Reviewed November 25, 2013

It's generally easy for Residence Inn's (RI) to get 4 out of 5 from me. This location was similar to others I've stayed at in quality. The area is very commercial with a mall nearby, lots of chain restaurants, and a lot of specialty Asian markets and Asian restaurants. It was very convenient to get food when the RI wasn't offering its evening socials. This location did Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday which is about average for the last couple RIs I've visited. Additionally, the front desk staff was very friendly and easily handled my questions and requests.

The one negative comes from the meals. I had breakfast five times, and only once were the scrambled eggs in the warmer not somewhat runny. It was difficult to find a patch that were completely solid and one day I skipped the eggs altogether. I'm sure they were cooked completely, they likely came from a pasteurized bag, but I like my eggs solid. The more annoying thing was the meal schedule. The first night I arrived for the evening social 15 minutes before it was supposed to end and found the warm food already cleared. The staff told me that was the first time they ever ran out of food; I was a bit suspicious that they packed up early. I believe my suspicions were correct because on my last morning, the same staff member began packing the breakfast up 30 minutes before the scheduled closing time.

So, if you do stay at this location expect nice staff and the usual RI rooms, but be early to the meals.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Jim F, General Manager at Residence Inn Atlanta Duluth/Gwinnett Place, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2013

Good Afternoon:

Thank you so much for your kind feedback regarding the team members of our Residence Inn.

Thank you for bringing the foodservice issues to my attention. Please be assured that I have addressed your concerns regarding the runny eggs which you encountered. I also have addressed the apparent early shut down of the social hour with the specific team member as well as our Assistant General Manager. This situation will not recur.

Thank you for selecting Residence Inn Atlanta Duluth Gwinnett Place. We hope to see you again so that you can experience the improvement we have made.

Jim Flanagan

Reviewed November 22, 2013

We stayed at this pet friendly hotel on a recent trip from Florida to New England with our small dog. The hotel is conveniently located in the northern suburbs of Atlanta in a quiet business park near the Gwinnett Place shopping area. Our 1 bedroom suite was clean, quiet and nicely decorated. Dinner was provided (salad, mashed potatoes and beef stew) as well as breakfast (scrambled eggs, sausage and other continental items). The room contained a good-size kitchen if needed and all appliances were in good working order. Room prices were reasonable, but the pet charge of $100 was steep if only staying for 1 or 2 nights. The staff was friendly and courteous.

Overall a very pleasant stay and a good stopover point if making the trip between New England and Florida over a 3 day / 2 night span.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 24, 2013

We stayed at this Residence Inn on Oct 15 & 16, 2013. It is one of the few hotels in the northeast suburbs of Atlanta that is pet-friendly.

The hotel and room were clean and the bedding was comfortable. The furniture in the room was in good shape and not showing a lot of use. The hotel offered a free buffet supper in the common area on the two nights we were there. (One night it was Salisbury steak, salad and potatoes. I can't remember what it was the other night.) An odd sort of thing was sodas were not included in the free buffet, but they had ice water and lemonade available.

There are several designated pet walking areas along the parking lot with decent lighting. We did not feel unsafe walking the dogs in the late evening. There is plenty of parking available.

The pet fee is steep -- $100. I think the innkeeper may want to rethink that cost as we have not encountered such a high fee anywhere else in the last seven years. (We were not charged a pet fee at the Westin Hotel in Annapolis (five star hotel) or the Hilton at Logan Airport (four star hotel), a much lower fee ($25) at a Holiday Inn in the Philadelphia area and $15 at a Candlewood Suite in Nashville. The fee is double what the nearby competition charges, too, as we stayed with them on a 2012 trip.) The unconvincing excuse given for the high cost was "we shampoo the rugs after you leave."

On the downside, we stayed in a third floor room and did not have water warmer than tepid anytime on Oct 15. We were told there's a problem in getting hot water to the third floor when the hotel is busy. (Really? For 24 straight hours? I used to work in a five story Holiday Inn in the late 1970s and we didn't have that problem.) The desk clerk did her best to recover from the situation and offered to refund that day's room fee. Since I used award points, we negotiated a waiver of the pet fee instead. The desk clerk should be applauded for such a quick response.

We may stay here on a future visit to the area as we have family nearby. The $100 pet fee will definitely figure into our planning, though.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 25, 2013

My family stayed here in a 2 bedroom suite and had a very nice time. The suite was very clean and the furnishings were comfortable. The layout of the bedrooms and living room were perfect for a larger group. We had both privacy and also an area where we could all socialize. The fireplace is a nice touch although we didn't use it since the weather was still warm. It was nice to have the complimentary breakfast, as well. This has now become our place to stay when visiting Atlanta. During the week they also have free evening meals, making it very affordable. Very pleasant stay!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family