“Better than it appears”

Residence Inn Atlanta Duluth/Gwinnett Place
Ranked #17 of 25 Hotels in Duluth
Reviewed April 24, 2013

It was a rough start at this hotel - we were staying here on a free night certificate through the Marriott loyalty program. We arrived at 3:00pm (check-in time) - room not ready; come back in 20 minutes. At 3:20, husband goes back in - room not ready, going to be another half hour. He told them we could not wait - we needed to dress for a wedding. He asked if they didn't have any rooms available - they said oh, guess we can change your room. Definitely NOT a good start. Property in general looks a little rough around the edges in building elevator and hallways; however, room was neat and very clean. Shower had two temps - ice cold or scalding. It was difficult to regulate, but we managed. I'm not sure if I would choose this hotel again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 10, 2013

You really can't go wrong here! This hotel is fantastic! The staff is phenomenal! The rooms are very clean and I do mean VERY clean! We stayed three nights and were very happy to come back from our daily adventures to this Residence Inn!
I really can't say enough good things about our stay. The front desk staff were very welcoming and friendly. The breakfast was top notch. We were traveling with three children and one morning ended up being a few minutes late to breakfast and the lady who was operating the breakfast counter was still restocking the breakfast counter items! How great is that! We thought we missed it, but were pleasantly surprised.
We visited Atlanta for a short three day vacation mainly to experience the Georgia Aquarium and the Atlanta Zoo. We also dined at our favorite restaurant Johnny Carino's that are no longer in our area.
We will always choose this Residence Inn location with every trip we will ever take to the Atlanta area in the future!

Room Tip: There is a Home Depot across the street and we were on the side facing the Home Depot and we could f...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We traveled to ATL to retrieve my daughter's stolen vehicle. It had been retrieved and repaired but following her experience, we were extremely cautious about where we could stay. We were arriving at night so we wanted a convenient, safe location that would be easy to find and close to the body shop we had to pick her car up from the next morning. This Residence Inn did not let us down. My daughter, two sisters and I stayed in a 1-bedroom suite and it was more than accommodating for us. The room was clean and it appeared that bedding and some of the other furnishings had been updated recently. The vanity and dressers were a little older but these were cosmetic issues that one could certainly overlook. The water pressure in the shower was great which is often a complaint when staying in hotels. :) The breakfast area was very busy when we went down for breakfast at about 8 and we ended up sitting in two separate booth style areas because while seating was adequate at each booth, the tables were way too small for a group of four eating breakfast. While everything looked very nice and clean in this area, our one complaint of the entire stay is that the food was cold. And not just moderately cold--ice cold. Eggs, sausage, french toast and potatoes--all cold. We could have complained to the hostess about this and one should probably notice that there were no "burners" or heating elements beneath the serving dishes for these so how they expect to keep food warm is anyone's guess. We were on a tight schedule so we just drank juice, grabbed some fruit and left. We did notice that there were several attendants in-house to help with the breakfast bar and as we were leaving items were being replaced and fresh food brought out. When we left our room, it barely looked like anyone had been in it, but our stay was comfortable and should we return to the area, we would definitely consider this hotel again. We didn't see much when we arrived the night before but noticed as we headed out that there was a 24-hour cafe not far from the hotel as well as a Krispy Kreme if we had chosen to grab breakfast elsewhere. I am a fan of Marriott and particularly Residence Inn and this location met the standards I have come to expect from them.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This is the perfect setup for multiple family members (3 adults and 2 teenagers). Complete kitchen, two separate bedrooms each with their own full bath, a fireplace, three TV's, AND
complimentary full breakfast each morning. The locations is great if you're attending anything
at the Gwinnett Center (as we were for a dance competition) and access was easy to the airport
without going through downtown Atlanta. The staff was friendly and helpful and our room clean
and comfortable. Many restaurants are close and all the major restaurant chains are right there.
We definitely made the right choice in staying here!

Room Tip: A 3rd floor room would be best. After two nights a family with a toddler moved in above us and it s...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

The rooms was not cleaned after the first night we stayed and they woke us up vacuuming the room above us at 8:30 a.m. Ugh!!!! But the rooms are nice and the hotel staff is very nice!! The location is very near places to eat and things to do!!

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We stayed here for my daughter and her friend to go to a concert at the Gwinnett Arena (older teenage daughter). The hotel was great, location great. Since it was a Thursday night we were able to take advantage of the appetizers in the eating area. This was actually more like a meal and that was one less thing we had to worry about. This is a very busy and high traffic area so if we didn't have to get out, that was great for us. There are people here who are long term with their jobs and meet around the dinner are for conversations, etc. So that was nice to be able to talk with some of them. I do agree with "Robin W' on the cab issue. We had called before we arrived to see if there was some sort of cab service or transportation and said that the venue was so close that a cab would be about $10 one way to get them there. We arrived and find out that that was not true. My husband took the girls to the concert to know where they were and we called the # that the front desk gave us and what actually picked them up was a Black Expedition, unmarked which made it difficult for the girls to find them in the mix of million cars. When they did, there was no meter, we were charged a fee of $25 for a 10 minute ride back to the hotel. She may be right with the kick back. The experience overall was great so that didn't dampen our mood.

Room Tip: We were in the 2 room suite that was on the side where the parking is. Because there are workers in...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 26, 2012

I stayed at this hotel to attend a show at Red Clay Theater. I have no complaints about the hotel itself. My issue is this: I asked Lisa at the front desk about getting a cab to the theater. I also asked what the cost would be. She said she did not know, but that there were a couple of companies that they recommended. She said she would call a cab for me when I was ready. I called the front desk 10 minutes before I wanted to leave. I was told the cab would be there in 10-15 minutes. After waiting more than 30 minutes, an unmarked SUV finally showed up. The driver did not know where the venue was, and had a very difficult time even following the GPS instructions. I had to tell him three times that he had missed a turn. Even with all of that, my issue is that this wasn't a CAB (which is what I requested), but some sort of car service. There was no meter in the car, so I had no idea what I was going to be charged. The hotel was no more than 7-8 miles from the venue. Yet I was charged $30. I wanted a simple cab ride. I wonder if the hotel is getting some sort of kick-back from this car service. I was very disappointed. This completely wiped out any special rate I had received through hotels.com.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo