“One of the WORST ever!”

Ranked #1 of 24 Hotels in Duluth
Boone, North Carolina
“One of the WORST ever!”
Reviewed October 1, 2008

If you want to stay in a not so well kept Hotel, with incompetend and lazy staff go ahead! It was by far one of the worst Hotels I had stayed in all my travels around the world!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The melted alarm clock!
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank KingMarcus

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Woodruff, South Carolina
Reviewed August 31, 2008

This property is an excellent choice for a business traveller or someone needing a 1 or 2 night stay. The rooms are ample size. They have very comfortable beds with a higher quality sheet. The noise level is not problem other than the door slams in the hall. We did not eat at the property as there are several restaurants close by. The king-size bed rooms also contain a sleeper sofa which is a nice change to have something other than a bed or a desk chair. I would definitely stay here again if needing to be in Atlanta.

• Liked — Easily the bed
  • Disliked — At times hard to find a place to park with easy access to the entrance
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Clemson_ChE'01
Eastern US
Reviewed July 23, 2008

I just recently completed a week + stay at this hotel. I was coordinating a large corporate event for 250 guests with meeting spaces, meals, etc. (This is the second year we have had our weeklong event there)

The hotel is in excellent condition and is very clean. If you watch their employees for even a short period of time, you will see the pride that their employees have in the hotel.

The common areas of this hotel are beautiful, quiet and restful. From the the main lobby my guests could access the bar, their main restaurant JWs and their other restaurant, the Grapevine. It is also very close to a nice array of area restaurants and there is mall type shopping in either direction.

As we all know, there are plenty of other hotels out there, but we chose to return to this hotel for our annual meeting again this year due to the excellent staff, fantastic meal choices, and amenities they have to offer.

I have stayed there for long periods of time this year and last year and have never had an issue with the parking lot, or with other travelers.

Their meeting spaces can be configured to any size you require and they will work with you in any manner to make sure your event takes the form you desire. They were very gracious and accommodating to any special requests we had during our weeklong event.

As a side note: Every time I have been in the hotel, they have been having a fairly large wedding. This seems to be a hotel of choice for weddings. My daughter's best friend had her reception there this summer and was very pleased with the service, the food and the attention to detail by the hotel planners.

Stay there and give them a try....you can't go wrong.

• Liked — friendly staff, great food, good location near interstate, good prices
  • Disliked — that I had to leave at the end of the meeting
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
Lubbock, TX, USA
Reviewed May 2, 2008

Stayed at the Marriott for 4 Nights, Sunday through Thursday. The room was in exceptional condition, as was the rest of the hotel. I found it to be conveniently located for a conference at the Gwinnett Center, and close to most area restaurants.

It is pricey, but I was able to secure a room on Hotwire for $89 + taxes. The workout room was nice, with about 3 of every piece of equipment. The swimming pool was nice, but the hot tub needs some serious work. It didn't work properly, and was ICE COLD!

Overall the only drawback to this hotel was that they did not offer a Free Breakfast of any kind; unless you count the bowl of oranges in the lobby. For a business hotel, this is a major flaw! And they only offered two computers in the lobby for internet use, and they were always being used.

I'd stay here again, but only if I could get the $89 Hotwire Rate.

• Liked — Clean, Clean, Clean! So rare to find a clean hotel room nowadays!
  • Disliked — No Free Breakfast.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
Scituate, RI
Reviewed August 31, 2007

We stayed at this hotel from August 24-27. The front desk staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Our luggage was lost and they were very sympathetic and caring. One particular woman, Joyce, was wonderful even offering me her umbrella to borrow. The rooms were clean and well maintained. The beds were probably the most comfortable I have ever slept in. The breakfast buffet is delicious and the staff there were very nice, as well. There is a nice bar and the lobby is a nice place to sit and relax with comfortable chairs and couches. My only complaint was we had an adjoining room with very loud neighbors with constant cell phones ringing, music blasting, and loud conversations in the hallway at 4:00 a.m. We moved to another room the next day which was very quiet. My one suggestion is do not get a room that adjoins another. There is plenty of free parking and everything is close by. With no traffic we were in Atlanta in 20-25 minutes. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank Kathie615
Georgia
Reviewed August 21, 2007

On May 26th, 2007, I attended a wedding at the Atlanta Marriott Gwinnett Place. I left the ballroom, with my wife, around at 11:30pm. From there, I came home. Next day, in the evening, I was getting into my car and was about to leave. At that time, I saw that my car had suffered two deep gouges on the front and rear driver’s side doors. I called the hotel immediately, and I was told that on Tuesday (Monday being Memorial Day) I should talk to Tony Cilantro, the manager. I took my car to the hotel on Tuesday and was told that he was on vacation. Accordingly, I described the situation to a woman called Prerana, and she called in a staff member to look at the damage and write a report. He took all my information and advised me to file a report with the Gwinnett County Police. What surprised me most was when he told me that the parking lot of the hotel lacks security cameras. Also, I was told by Prerana that the hotel was not liable for my damage. However, Marcie Adams would call me to discuss my grievance. Sensing a stalling tactics, I called the Marriott Costumer Service and filed a complained. It was the next day when I heard from Ms. Adams. She very rudely told me that she would not do anything about the incident, and the hotel was not required to have security cameras in the parking lot. The damage has been examined by an adjuster and the repair charges are approximately $1400 from two body shops. He and I both agree that the damage was caused by the dropping of a suitcase somebody was trying to bring down. The gouges are at parallel angles, caused by the sharp edges of the suitcase, more than likely the wheels. By the way, the gouges are exactly at a distance of 21 inches which is approximately where suitcases have their edges or wheels. ((I did my research.) I wrote to Mr. Bill Marriott. He deigned not to reply to my letter, but his manager Mr. Tony Cilantro wrote me a letter--parroting the same things that Ms. Adams had said to me on the phone. His bottom line was that the hotel was not responsible, and there were no cameras in the dark parking lot. Instead, his hotel had 24-hour manned security. Can manned security watch all that is going on in the unlit, rather foreboding parking spaces of the hotel? No! Accordingly, my warning to all who park their cars there: Park at your own risk. Please let us know if you were a victim of a crime or your car was broken into or vandalized at the Atlanta Marriott Gwinnett Place’s parking lot.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Irresponsible management
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
Savannah
Reviewed June 18, 2007

I am currently staying at this property on a business trip. The hotel is in excellent condition and very clean as other reviews have stated. The property has been renovated recently and the rooms are well decorated with high quality bedding, linens and draperies. I am on the Terrace Level and have a nice private patio to enjoy. Beautiful public spaces, nice restaurants and bars, nice pool area, great workout facility and above all superior service from everyone I have encountered, make this property a must stay. This place is just great for the business traveler. I will definately be returning!

• Liked — well decorated property
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Duluth
Hampton Inn & Suites Atlanta/Duluth/Gwinnett County
Hilton Garden Inn Atlanta NE/Gwinnett Sugarloaf
Wyndham Garden Duluth
Wyndham Garden Duluth
#20 of 24 in Duluth

Been to Sonesta Gwinnett Place Atlanta? Share your experiences!