“Love This Hotel for Pleasure or Business Trips!”

Sonesta Gwinnett Place Atlanta
Ranked #2 of 24 Hotels in Duluth
Eastern US
“Love This Hotel for Pleasure or Business Trips!”
Reviewed July 23, 2008

I just recently completed a week + stay at this hotel. I was coordinating a large corporate event for 250 guests with meeting spaces, meals, etc. (This is the second year we have had our weeklong event there)

The hotel is in excellent condition and is very clean. If you watch their employees for even a short period of time, you will see the pride that their employees have in the hotel.

The common areas of this hotel are beautiful, quiet and restful. From the the main lobby my guests could access the bar, their main restaurant JWs and their other restaurant, the Grapevine. It is also very close to a nice array of area restaurants and there is mall type shopping in either direction.

As we all know, there are plenty of other hotels out there, but we chose to return to this hotel for our annual meeting again this year due to the excellent staff, fantastic meal choices, and amenities they have to offer.

I have stayed there for long periods of time this year and last year and have never had an issue with the parking lot, or with other travelers.

Their meeting spaces can be configured to any size you require and they will work with you in any manner to make sure your event takes the form you desire. They were very gracious and accommodating to any special requests we had during our weeklong event.

As a side note: Every time I have been in the hotel, they have been having a fairly large wedding. This seems to be a hotel of choice for weddings. My daughter's best friend had her reception there this summer and was very pleased with the service, the food and the attention to detail by the hotel planners.

Stay there and give them a try....you can't go wrong.

• Liked — friendly staff, great food, good location near interstate, good prices
  • Disliked — that I had to leave at the end of the meeting
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Lubbock, TX, USA
Reviewed May 2, 2008

Stayed at the Marriott for 4 Nights, Sunday through Thursday. The room was in exceptional condition, as was the rest of the hotel. I found it to be conveniently located for a conference at the Gwinnett Center, and close to most area restaurants.

It is pricey, but I was able to secure a room on Hotwire for $89 + taxes. The workout room was nice, with about 3 of every piece of equipment. The swimming pool was nice, but the hot tub needs some serious work. It didn't work properly, and was ICE COLD!

Overall the only drawback to this hotel was that they did not offer a Free Breakfast of any kind; unless you count the bowl of oranges in the lobby. For a business hotel, this is a major flaw! And they only offered two computers in the lobby for internet use, and they were always being used.

I'd stay here again, but only if I could get the $89 Hotwire Rate.

• Liked — Clean, Clean, Clean! So rare to find a clean hotel room nowadays!
  • Disliked — No Free Breakfast.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
Scituate, RI
Reviewed August 31, 2007

We stayed at this hotel from August 24-27. The front desk staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Our luggage was lost and they were very sympathetic and caring. One particular woman, Joyce, was wonderful even offering me her umbrella to borrow. The rooms were clean and well maintained. The beds were probably the most comfortable I have ever slept in. The breakfast buffet is delicious and the staff there were very nice, as well. There is a nice bar and the lobby is a nice place to sit and relax with comfortable chairs and couches. My only complaint was we had an adjoining room with very loud neighbors with constant cell phones ringing, music blasting, and loud conversations in the hallway at 4:00 a.m. We moved to another room the next day which was very quiet. My one suggestion is do not get a room that adjoins another. There is plenty of free parking and everything is close by. With no traffic we were in Atlanta in 20-25 minutes. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank Kathie615
Georgia
Reviewed August 21, 2007

On May 26th, 2007, I attended a wedding at the Atlanta Marriott Gwinnett Place. I left the ballroom, with my wife, around at 11:30pm. From there, I came home. Next day, in the evening, I was getting into my car and was about to leave. At that time, I saw that my car had suffered two deep gouges on the front and rear driver’s side doors. I called the hotel immediately, and I was told that on Tuesday (Monday being Memorial Day) I should talk to Tony Cilantro, the manager. I took my car to the hotel on Tuesday and was told that he was on vacation. Accordingly, I described the situation to a woman called Prerana, and she called in a staff member to look at the damage and write a report. He took all my information and advised me to file a report with the Gwinnett County Police. What surprised me most was when he told me that the parking lot of the hotel lacks security cameras. Also, I was told by Prerana that the hotel was not liable for my damage. However, Marcie Adams would call me to discuss my grievance. Sensing a stalling tactics, I called the Marriott Costumer Service and filed a complained. It was the next day when I heard from Ms. Adams. She very rudely told me that she would not do anything about the incident, and the hotel was not required to have security cameras in the parking lot. The damage has been examined by an adjuster and the repair charges are approximately $1400 from two body shops. He and I both agree that the damage was caused by the dropping of a suitcase somebody was trying to bring down. The gouges are at parallel angles, caused by the sharp edges of the suitcase, more than likely the wheels. By the way, the gouges are exactly at a distance of 21 inches which is approximately where suitcases have their edges or wheels. ((I did my research.) I wrote to Mr. Bill Marriott. He deigned not to reply to my letter, but his manager Mr. Tony Cilantro wrote me a letter--parroting the same things that Ms. Adams had said to me on the phone. His bottom line was that the hotel was not responsible, and there were no cameras in the dark parking lot. Instead, his hotel had 24-hour manned security. Can manned security watch all that is going on in the unlit, rather foreboding parking spaces of the hotel? No! Accordingly, my warning to all who park their cars there: Park at your own risk. Please let us know if you were a victim of a crime or your car was broken into or vandalized at the Atlanta Marriott Gwinnett Place’s parking lot.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Irresponsible management
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
Savannah
Reviewed June 18, 2007

I am currently staying at this property on a business trip. The hotel is in excellent condition and very clean as other reviews have stated. The property has been renovated recently and the rooms are well decorated with high quality bedding, linens and draperies. I am on the Terrace Level and have a nice private patio to enjoy. Beautiful public spaces, nice restaurants and bars, nice pool area, great workout facility and above all superior service from everyone I have encountered, make this property a must stay. This place is just great for the business traveler. I will definately be returning!

• Liked — well decorated property
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
Augusta, GA
Reviewed March 6, 2007

I was here at the end of February for a class I attended not too far away. The hotel is really nice. The lobby is huge.
My only huge complaint is I was in a room that has a king size bed. I know that Marriott is known for the big fluffy beds. And it was indeed comfortable. But you could tell that one too many big businessman or woman have slept on the side of the bed that is directly in front of the TV. It was very worn. And by what I mean is that when I rollover and towards the middle of the bed you was obvious you were going "up hill". They need to flip the mattress or rotate it or something.
Other than that everything was perfect. I ordered room service the two nights I was there and it was very good.

• Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
carrollton, tx
Reviewed February 2, 2007

Three day stay here over a long weekend. We did not eat or drink here. We did enjoy their pool. It is one of those half inside and half outside. It was nice and warm and they also had a large hot tub and fitness center inside. The rooms were really nice with granite sink, large bathroom and the drapes you would expect in this class of hotel. The only note on our room was the door would not shut without giving it an extra push. It more or less slammed shut even thought we tried to keep it quiet.
The day we checked out another person we knew staying here had left their camera in the lobby and were lucky someone turned it in. The front desk asked us to identify ourselves after they got a call on it and we picked it up.
I would also check out the parking in the back. There is a long hall that takes you to the elevators and front desk. Park in the back near this entrance and you can get close. There is a narrow driveway that leads right to this area off of Pleasant Hill. The front of the hotel is actually off of another street that meets Pleasant Hill called something like Crestwood. Recommend this hotel.

Stayed January 2007
1 Thank 1770kac
Also consider these accommodations in or near Duluth
Hyatt Place Duluth/Gwinnett Mall
Hampton Inn & Suites Atlanta/Duluth/Gwinnett County
Embassy Suites by Hilton Atlanta NE Gwinnett Sugarloaf
Hilton Garden Inn Atlanta NE/Gwinnett Sugarloaf
Sonesta ES Suites Atlanta
Sonesta ES Suites Atlanta
#66 of 171 in Atlanta
Courtyard Atlanta Duluth/Gwinnett Place

Been to Sonesta Gwinnett Place Atlanta? Share your experiences!