“Great steak!”

Stoney River Steakhouse and Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Stoney River Steakhouse and Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 422 Restaurants in Duluth
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Drinks, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Medlock Bridge Road
Description: Stoney River is an upscale steakhouse, specializing in hand-cut steaks and gourmet entrees, served in a sophisticated atmosphere by professional servers. Guests can enjoy diverse menu offerings such as Center-cut Filets, Bone-in Rib-eye's or a Classic NY Strip. Not in the mood for a steak? Stoney River offers fresh seafood selections, signature salads and house specialties. Whether relaxing at the bar or dining in the comfortable atmosphere, enjoy a hand-crafted cocktail, local draft beer or glass of wine from our boutique wine list. Our goal is to provide you with the finest culinary experience that exceeds your expectations.
Atlanta, Georgia
“Great steak!”
Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

Another great meal at Stoney River. The always exceptional service and the perfectly cooked steak delivered again. The coffee cured steak is outstanding.

Visited July 2014

Atlanta, Georgia, United States
“Perfectly done steaks”
Reviewed July 17, 2014

We dined there this past weekend, and enjoyed a glass of red wine, a salad, and two perfectly cooked (rare) steaks. We went with the au jous. Fast and friendly service, with a minimal wait. This restaurant reminds me of great restaurants of days gone by.

• Visited July 2014
Johns Creek, Georgia
“Despite exterior, very nice”
Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

I was a little out off by Stoney River. It was in an older looking building with a tacky and ugly yellow sign. However, once I got inside I was pleasantly surprised. It was very nice and upscale. The food was excellent as well. My steak was done perfectly and the bread they brought before the meal was great. Our server was very attentive. Stoney River provided top steakhouse quality at about half the price.

Visited July 2014
Columbus, Ohio
“Still looking for "legendary"”
Reviewed June 19, 2014 via mobile

This place had some awesome steaks don't get it twisted. However, I recently took a trip to Ireland and ate at a spot called FX Buckley's and their ribeye blows every other steak I've ever had in my young life out of the water (Bangarang).

I went here twice within a 4 day span so yeah I can say it was solid. You're gonna pay for it though because a steak runs ya 30 bonez and you get a steak and a side.

I'd go with their coffee dry rubbed filet and you gotta do it "Oscar style" which has a bernaise sauce with lumps of Sebastian on it. (Little mermaid reference)

Cumming, Georgia
“I hate to say it, but...”
Reviewed June 3, 2014

Stoney River has been a favorite for us over the years, especially for special occasions. It has traditionally provided excellent steaks at prices slightly below the iconic upscale steak houses in town (Bones, Ruth's Chris, etc). Unfortunately, it is no longer what it used to be.

We went there recently for my husband's birthday.The dimly-lit ambiance and upscale cabin feel were still in evidence, as was the always-deafening noise level. After years of not accepting reservations, we were glad to see that Stoney River has finally put would-be customers out of their misery and that reservations are now available (wait times used to exceed two hours, even on weeknights). Though some reviews indicate this system is not up to par, we were taken to our table right on time.

Once we were seated, however, it became clear things were off with this restaurant. We were greeted by one waiter and then handed off to another--nothing wrong with this, but neither one offered the superior and attentive service we have always received in the past. No one asked if we had been there previously or offered recommendations from the menu. No one asked if we were celebrating a special occasion (we were, and our conversation in front of the waiter should have tipped him off).

A member of our party asked the waiter for a mixed drink recommendation that would be sweet and fruity. He pointed her to something on the drink menu that was neither sweet nor fruity. Knowing she wouldn't care for it and that there was a full bar, we asked for alternatives. He came up empty. She finally ordered a basic fuzzy navel. She did not receive her drink until about the time we got our food (20 minutes or more). The reason? There was no orange juice at the bar, so the bartender squeezed the oranges by hand (slowly, it seems). My husband's wine also took a long time--squeezing grapes, perhaps?

The menu has changed a bit since last we were there. Most of the steak offerings seemed the same, but the excellent horseradish-encrusted grouper is gone. I can hope this decision was made based on sustainable fishing, but there was nothing similar in its place. Three of us ordered steaks (filets) and, though all came out as ordered and tasted good, they just weren't as good as they used to be. The meat quality seemed lower and the seasoning lackluster. I ordered mine with the blue cheese topping (usually outstanding) and it was just ok. I did enjoy my asparagus side. The au gratin potatoes that used to be so good seemed to lack flavor and be greasy. The prices have never been inexpensive which is expected of a truly good steak restaurant. But they have risen again and I believe they are no longer justified based on the quality. While the iconic steak houses are still more expensive, they are now vastly superior in quality, taste, and service.

We did not order dessert and the birthday boy was not offered anything special. Again, this is a departure from the Stoney River of the past. In fact, we were often served the chocolate cake for free even if there was no occasion to celebrate. While I would never expect this regularly, it's another perk that apparently is now gone.

The Atlanta area offers a dizzying array of great restaurants, many of which focus on steak. Stoney River used to be one of them. It now pales in comparison to the competition.

• Visited May 2014