“Worst Customer Service Ever!”

Holiday Inn - Gwinnett Center
Ranked #13 of 24 Hotels in Duluth
Puerto Rico, Spain
“Worst Customer Service Ever!”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I stay at this hotel, twice a month for 3-4 days continuously. Last year, in 2012, I stayed here for an entire month and had a phenomenal experience, but this time around was a whole different story! I think management has changed and the new management has no idea how to operate a hotel.

It all started when I checked in yesterday to only find dirty plates and cups sitting next to my door. Next day, the cups and plates were still there in the morning when I left my room and were STILL there when I returned to my room after 4PM. I called the front desk almost 10 times and NO ONE responded. Finally, I got in touch with a lady named Poo and she said she'd take care of it. I left the hotel and came back a couple hours later only to find the dirty cups and plates still sitting by my door. By this point, I was furious. Not only was I bothered with the lack of cleanliness, I was bothered by the front desk staff not being able to deliver. (Point being, if management did property walks, these things would be avoided before new guests check-in at 3pm.)

Later that evening, it just got worse. My wife being allergic to down, she requested to have her pillows changed to foam pillows. The past times we've stayed here, it was never an issue - the front desk would gladly replace the down pillows with foam pillows. This time, when my wife called down stairs, the front desk agent had an attitude and told my wife she should've brought her own pillow. She then told her, we had been traveling across country on the plane and the last thing we wanted to pack was a pillow! We also told her that the hotel always has provided us with foam pillows and in return the confused front desk agent proceeded to ask the very stupid question of "what does a foam pillow look like?" Instead she offered to give us a stack of sheets which my wife used as a pillow and woke up to a very sore neck.

By far the worst hotel ever! I would pick hilton any day over holiday inn. Not very friendly and hotel staff is lazy and careless. Cleanliness is a big issue. Employees are clueless and they need hotel training from upper management.

Room Tip: Go to the hampton across the street. So much better!
1 Thank Sunjay511

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Hingham, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 18, 2013

One night stay. Computers down for over an hour at check in. When restored, guests were checked in based on how obnoxious they were. Food really substandard - salad with black lettuce and soggy croutons, breafast sandwich with cold english muffin and cheese. Room was clean, bed fine, but we received a wake up call at 5:30 AM when none was requested.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
TracyJohnsonGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn - Gwinnett Center, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Deborah D.

I appreciate you taking the time to share the experience of your stay. I know we did not deliver the level of service you deserved, when our systems went down at the hotel. Guest service is our priority and I would like to have the opportunity to discuss with you further. I would appreciate you reaching out to me directly at the hotel. Warmest Regards!
USA
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Was in the area for a conference. This hotel is great - the staff is friendly and exceptionally helpful. Rooms are well appointed and clean. An occasional bit of noise (sirens on the interstate) but not close enough to the interstate to be bothered by truck traffic. Nice cafe onsite - breakfast was a little pricey (around $10) but good variety and food was good, plus the convenience made it worthwhile. Recommend staying here if going to a concert or event at Gwinnett Arena - parking lots practically connect.

Room Tip: Rooms on side away from interstate might be quieter, but facility is far enough off of interstate th...
Sojournhr

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We know you have many choices, and appreciate you letting us take care of your hospitality needs. I hope if you are traveling here again, you will come back to visit!
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We were able to book a room here on zero notice for our attendance to the Starcitygames.com Invitational this past weekend. The hotel was full to capacity with players as well as guests in town for the Final Four tournament. For them to be able to work us in on such short notice was greatly appreciated and was a great improvement from our previous night's lodging. The staff was friendly and the room was great. It was comfortable and clean and they had no problem providing us with extra blankets. Well Done!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dragos Dragn

Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel. I'm glad you made it for the Star City Games, I find it incredibly fun to have a full packed hotel with people who are excited about their events. I look forward to seeing you again!
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Bright, clean, and business functional! If you are coming to the Sugarloaf Business park area on corporate business or a quick overnight to catch a performance at the Arena or Performing Arts center – less than a block away -- this place will meet your needs with compact, efficiently designed rooms. A HUB concept sets the tone for a basic overnight stay designed to keep you focused on business but also well taken care of. Everything is in easy view from the professionally staffed reception: a breakfast area—open 6:30 – 10 AM -- that transforms into evening dining and bar amenities from 5-10 PM, a computer area, fitness center, and a welcoming outdoor area for relaxation. The “Market” area features water and soft drinks, sweets and frozen meals for those after-hour hunger pangs or an alternative to business community feel of the early morning coffee crowd. The rooms, complimented with the Holiday Inn signature citrus bouquet, are an overnight recharging place equipped with microwave and refrigerators, comfortable beds.

Room Tip: Even numbered room face a lovely wooded area.
Dear Gabriele S.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience during you recent stay. We are glad you enjoyed the new concepts we have to offer and hope to see you again one day!
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed March 11, 2013

I stayed at this property for the SEC Women's Basketball Conference games, which were being held at the Gwinnett Arena. The rooms were pricey at $159/night due to the event and the hotel's close proximity to the arena. It was a convenient location, I'll give it that, but this was not a $159/night experience.

The king bed and non-smoking room that I thought I had requested turned out to be two double beds. Even worse, I'm pretty sure Cheech and Chong had occupied the hotel room for the month previous to my stay. It definitely smelled like something straight out of, "Up in Smoke." The hotel was filled to capacity, so they could not reassign me to a different, non-smoking room. I understand this, as I made my reservation just a few days before the event began. They did set off an oxidation bomb, but this was not effective. The horrendous smoky smell made for a very unpleasant stay.

Trash was all up and down the hallway one night (fast food bags, pizza boxes, etc.). It could be that a few people ordered take-out and left their garbage in the hall and I just happened to walk by at the wrong time. But it was pretty disgusting and I sincerely hope it had not been there long.

Breakfast in the hotel restaurant was pricey at $11 per person and the buffet was the only option. I am not a buffet person. The food was bland, mediocre at best and, well, buffett-ish.

Staff and waitstaff were very friendly, helpful and accommodating. Although I wished I had been able to be reassigned to a non-smoking room, I understand that none were available and believe that they did try.

If you could get a room at a much better price and get assigned a non-smoking room (if you're a non-smoker), it might be OK. But next year, I'll save $60 per night and find a better hotel a little farther away from the arena.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank JDG5400
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn - Gwinnett Center, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear JDG5400,

Thank you for your feedback. We truly value your comments, all the good, the bad and the opportunities to improve, as these give us the opportunity of improving what we can offer to improve your stay. Please be assured that your input will be taken into consideration in our efforts to monitor and improve the quality and services we offer.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare
Reviewed March 6, 2013

someone saud this was poorly rated and it is. very disappointed, no fitness room, have to walk next door to comfort inn, and that hotel is really dirty especially the fitness equipment. ,
business center is a joke, loos like someone put it together in 5 minutes, and it didn't work straight away, and it in the lobby next to the checkin.desk just one small chair and visible to all. will never start here again

• Stayed March 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn - Gwinnett Center, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear woodbadg,

Thank you for your review. It was regrettable to see that your stay with us was not all that it could have been. We strive to make each stay an enjoyable one and we are happy to take your feedback so that we may continue to improve.

Thank you again for providing a review.

Adrian D.