“Best bang for the buck in the area”

Hyatt Place Duluth/Gwinnett Mall
Ranked #6 of 24 Hotels in Duluth
Buford, GA
“Best bang for the buck in the area”
Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

Clean hotel, great service, serves Starbucks coffee, nice rooms, average pool area, walking distance to wild bills and many local restaurants. I always stay at this hotel if I stay in this area. How could you not with all they offer for the price? Hyatt has a great thing going as most if their hotels are cheap fo what you receive. Don't pass up this hotel if you need to stay in the area.

• Stayed November 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Christiansted, St. Croix
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I must say that the round the clock staff were always helpful, courteous, and they constantly asked if I needed assistance with every aspect of my 7 day stay. The newly upgraded complimentary breakfast was a huge crowd pleaser and a phenomenal plus for us. The price was perfect for our accommodations. We saved probably $30 per day just on breakfast. I would definitely stay here again. Thank you to Reggie and both William at the front desk and William that hadled breakfast. Exceptional customer service!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank dondada365
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Air conditioning in two different rooms didn't work right. It was hot and air would turn off and on. Phone by the bed didn't work. Bad smell like sewer on 5th floor. Not as clean as the hotel was some 3 years ago. Not happy. Was given a $20 credit. Moved to another room again after 1 A.M. I was allowed a 2 pm check out. Won't stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Pdbrew
Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

The staff was wonderful, courteous and helpful. Breakfast was good, and there was plenty of seating in the area. Room decor was a bit dated, but room was clean. The pool is putdoors, not indoors, but still nice. We would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed June 24, 2013

It's the little things in life that can sometimes add up to make a big difference. By all accounts, the Hyatt Place at the Gwinnett Mall should be a "4" on the scale of 1 to 5, but alas, I simply cannot give it that extra star.

On the plus side, this is a hotel that makes you feel good when you walk in the door. Warm colors, soft chairs, round corners everywhere. They have a small bar/eating area to the left of the front desk. The room was equally comfortable, with only a couple of exceptions (which I will get to later). The TV swiveled to focus on whether you were in sitting on the spacious couch, or lying in the kind-of-"meh" king size bed. The TV was part of the Lodgenet group, so you can download an app on your iPhone, iPad, or Android device and control the TV from it. This is especially helpful when you are traveling since you can go directly to a station - say, NBC or Discovery HD for instance, without having to scroll through them all or go to the guide.

The TV also has a well-designed console into which you can plug just about anything (PC, iPod, iPad, etc.) if you bring your own movies, (which is a nice touch), but you do need to bring your own cables (I forgot mine).

The room also had a wet bar with a fridge, ample plugs, and even provided a can opener next to the ice bucket, and toothpaste(!) — when's the last time you had toothpaste in your room without having to go to the front desk and get it (or worse, buy it out of a vending machine)? The shower was spacious and plenty tall for my 6'2" height.

Our first night, we were hungry, but too tired to go out, so we tried their hard-to-classify food service and bar. The staff was über-friendly, and was great at making recommendations. We shared some chili nachos (which were fantastic) and my wife had the mushroom soup and salad while I had a flatbread BBQ chicken pizza. All were delicious — especially for "heat and eat" foods.

So with the glowing comments above, why isn't this place 4 or even 5 stars? Well, the little things can detract and annoy as much as they can impress. It all started when my wife asked what kind of wine they had and the (very pleasant) server said "Red and White." I am not making this up. When pressed for more details, she then went on to mispronounce the types of wine: "Pea Not Greegeo," "Merr Lot," "Caber Net." etc. Georgia, I think I found one of the places they are hiding your stereotypes. (My wife decided to have a beer.)

They had an OK beer selection, but when I asked to try the Terrapin, I was presented with something completely different. Not a big problem, but when I asked for a second beer and pressed for maybe getting the Terrapin, I was told "Oh, we had that a long time ago. This is what we have now." Hmmmm, are the bottles superglued in place so they can't be swapped out? I will probably never know.

Another annoyance was that I asked for a beer to take up to my room and was told they couldn't sell any alcoholic beverages after 11PM. On a Friday? Really? OK - I'm from New Orleans, so that just seems all sorts of wrong, but I get it. Maybe its a local law that favors getting people out to the bars. But c'mon, couldn't you have given me a last call BEFORE 11PM? That's just good form.

By itself, that wasn't a big deal, but there are other things: their automated check-in didn't work. After sitting in front of it for 5 minutes, I was directed to go to the guest desk to complete check in, (and what, exactly, was the point of that exercise except to waste 5 minutes of my time?). Later, in the room, it took forever for me to get the access code from the TV so I could link it with the LodgeNet app. We tried 5 times to order a movie — even trying different ones — but were always told "Movies are unavailable right now, try again later." Also, I was shocked that there were very few High Definition channels available. I expected HD channels all the way from a place with the Hyatt name.

I am now in "kicking the cat" territory, but the hair dryer only worked on the low setting, which meant it took longer to dry our hair. Another thing was that we had our "Do Not Disturb" sign in the door until we left the room at around 11:30 AM on Saturday. When we returned around 10PM no one had been in to make the bed or tidy up. Not a big deal, but doesn't it always feel better when you walk in and the bed is made and the trash emptied?

Finally, the king size bed. This was the first time ever I have slept on a bed called "king size" where my feet dangled off the end. That doesn't even happen at home on my Queen Size bed. To be honest, it really wasn't as comfortable as what I would expect from a hotel with the Hyatt name on it.

The hotel also has a pool (no hot tub), but we did not try it out.

So here's the cliff notes version:

PROS: Comfortable place, friendly staff, adequate amount of creature comforts that would be awesome if they all worked properly. Good selection of food and beverages that are also tasty.

CONS: Staff needs to be better trained on things like wine and making sure customers know when their cut off time for alcohol is. Technology needs to work as advertised. King size bed needs to be truly king size and more comfortable.

Summary: there are plenty of hotels in this same area. If I were to stay in the area again, I would try one of those before booking at this Hyatt. Who knows, maybe the Hyatt Place is the best of the bunch? But I am willing to find that out for myself before staying here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank thechuck
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

The room was clean, but the furnishings seemed a little old. The linens and pillows were good. I would probably not go back if other options were available. The staff was helpful and the food served for breakfast was pretty good. HYATT DOES A GOOD JOB WITH THEIR 24/7food service.

• Stayed June 2013
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stayed here while seeing a concert at the convention center. They had a shuttle to the concert! Brought us there and picked us up! Great breakfasts, clean rooms. Lots of restaurant choices nearby (chain and independent). Overall good experience.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends