“Convention Stay”

Ranked #5 of 24 Hotels in Duluth
Duluth, United States
“Convention Stay”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Upon arrival, check in was smooth and quick. Arriving in the room, found fridge not working. Reservationist on duty quickly moved us across the hall AND when l went down to the lobby to get a cookie, none were left, but she GAVE me Mrs Fields SoftBaked Chocolate Chip from the Snack Bar!!!!!

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

HGIMgmt, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Atlanta NE/Gwinnett Sugarloaf, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
We are very excited to have you as a hotel guest at the Hilton Garden Inn Sugarloaf. We take great pride in providing a superior guest experience for our hotel guests. When you’re planning your next trip to Duluth, let us know if we can assist with your planning. We’d love to have you back as a guest of our hotel again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
West Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Every single day of our stay we were short on linens, called to request more, which were never delivered and made us have to go down to the front desk to get the linens so that we could shower and dress on time. We were never made aware of the satisfaction guarantee.

1 Thank PetiteScrapper
Thank you for reviewing us on TripAdvisor. We do apologize for the inconvenience of not having extra linens. We are reviewing with our staff and taking measures to be better prepared during larger conferences. If there is anything we can do for you, please let us know. I do hope you will consider staying with us again next time you are in town.
United States
Reviewed August 12, 2013

This was the second stay for me at the Hilton Garden in Duluth, GA, and a reminder as to why I like to stay there. The staff was very accommodating and profressional and the hotel comfortable all around--lobby, dining area, rooms and other areas throughout. Room was just what I needed and the hotel was quiet overall during the evening. I will be back!

1 Thank RUTEX2002
HGIMgmt, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Atlanta NE/Gwinnett Sugarloaf, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to submit your review regarding the Hilton Garden Inn Sugarloaf. Our hotel team is dedicated to ensure you stay with us again the next time you’re in the Duluth, GA area. When you’re planning your next visit to Duluth, let us know if we can assist with planning. We’d love to have you back as a guest at our hotel again soon.
Enterprise, United States
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Very good hotel with excellent location next to interstate and mall. Close to most locations in Atlanta and eating areas and safe enviroment. Great price and value for the cleanliness of the hotel. Breakfast is not free however but price about what you pay at IHOP or Denny's. Has a great indoor pool and a small gym to work out. You can walk across parking lot toseveral resturants

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

HGIMgmt, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Atlanta NE/Gwinnett Sugarloaf, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to submit your review for our hotel. Our team takes great pride in providing superior guest experience for our hotel guests. The next time you are in Duluth, we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel again!
Decatur, Georgia
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Great 3 nights. 1st time staying here and pleasantly surprised. Hotel even though it was crowded proved no match for the staff. Everything was on point. We experienced no problems. Look forward to staying here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Michelle B
We appreciate your time in reviewing the Hilton Garden Inn Sugarloaf. We certainly believe our hotel team offers superior service in order to make our guests’ stay a memorable one. The next time you’re in Duluth, we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again!
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Stayed here for over 10 days and experienced the most disgusting rooms and hallways I've every seen. On the first night I arrived I found a significant urine stain on the toilet seat which was not cleaned the next day, so I cleaned it myself (yuck!) then later in the week I discovered that there was a used, bloody bandage next to one of the beds (double-yuck!) which had obviously been there during my entire stay, but hidden between the mattress & bedframe. I was moved to another room and there was, again, urine on the toilet seat. The front desk agent who was with me at the time made no effort to clean it, so I had to do it myself (again...). This room also had a broken window lock and a very slow drain. All floors have nasty, stained carpets and I never once saw or heard a vacuum in use. Housekeeping is significantly deficient in this hotel and their attention to detail is non-existent. Only the front desk/lobby area is presentable. Despite multiple emails the communication with this hotel is abysmal. I received one boiler-plate response from the GM and no further communication. This Hilton experience has turned me off to the entire Hilton brand. Stay at your own risk!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Ryan G
HGIMgmt, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Atlanta NE/Gwinnett Sugarloaf, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Thank you for your feedback of your recent stay with us. I understand that you encountered an opportunity with the cleanliness of your guest room, I sincerely apologize for this. This is one of the areas that we are very vigilant in to ensure comfort and satisfaction for our guests. I'm so sorry that we were unable to meet expectations and based upon your review I am actively participating with our housekeeping staff to ensure this does not happen again. I hope that if your travels bring you back to the area that you will consider staying with us again. Thank you again, I appreciate your honest feedback.
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I booked this hotel for one night when I attended the Beyoncé concert at Gwinnett Center. This is a basic hotel for a comfortable night's rest, but don't expect too many bells and whistles. The location is great if you're attending an event at the arena...it's directly across the street from one of the left parking lot entrances to Gwinnett Center (and it was half the price of the Holiday Inn located inside the arena lot in spite of the fact that the properties offer almost identical amenities...I viewed both hotels prior to booking). When it was time for the concert we were able to easily make the quick drive across to the arena without having to get stuck in the heavy traffic on Sugarloaf Parkway. Parking at the arena is free so it was perfect.

The lobby of the hotel looks brand new and is beautifully decorated, however the rooms are simply average although they do have flat screen TVs. Since it's an older property each room has an air conditioning unit located underneath the window. Note: these are not the old-school window units, they are modern electric units controlled by a digital wall control thermostat. The unit was not noisy and it kept the room cooled well. I noticed they offered a breakfast buffet as well as cooked-to-order breakfast in the lobby for $9.99. That's a nice feature and a decent price not to have to leave the hotel. However, there are other breakfast options close by, i.e. Chick-Fil-A (across the parking lot) and The Waffle House. There is a Carrabba's restaurant as a lunch/dinner choice in the connecting parking lot and the Sugarloaf Outlet Mall (which has an ample food court) is literally five minutes away.

Please be aware that the indoor pool located on the 1st floor has a very strong chlorine smell that permeates the entire hallway. If this will irritate you be sure to request a room on an upper floor. Thankfully our room was on the 3rd floor, but my travel companion was still very bothered by the smell when we used the hotel's side exit. Also, there was a $20 charge for a roll-away bed.

Room Tip: The 1st Floor hallway has a strong chlorine smell from the indoor pool.