“Extremely Clean, Close to Everything”

Wingate by Wyndham Duluth/Atlanta
Ranked #7 of 24 Hotels in Duluth
Atlanta, Georgia
“Extremely Clean, Close to Everything”
Reviewed September 28, 2011

This Wingate was one of the cleanest hotels I have ever stayed in. My husband and I stayed for four nights and all of the staff we cam in contact with were exceptionally nice. Housekeeping was wonderful, our room was kept tidy and clean, the linens and towels were very high quality, and the bed slept like a dream! The room itself was surprisingly large and had lovely Neutrogena soaps, shampoos and lotions.

Breakfast is free and provided ample selections. Wi-fi was also free and was really fast. This hotel had a swimming pool that was outside (which we did not utilize) as well as a very large hot tub that was nice to relax in in the evenings.

There are tons of restaurants in the area and lots of ethnic choices available. We enjoyed both Korean and Indian food while we were here. Getting out of the hotel and back on the interstate was tricky the first time, but the gentleman at the front desk was most helpful in showing us the easiest way to go. After you do it once, it's really quite simple.

I can't recommend this place enough! The staff, the service and the room far exceeded our expectations, especially for the rate we paid. This is definitely our hotel of choice from now on.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Nicole_D0726

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Yakima, Washington
Reviewed September 24, 2011

The Wingate in Duluth, GA is right off I-85 and about a 40-minute drive from the Atlanta airport (assuming that you drive the speed limit, none of the natives of Atlanta seem to do so). So, if you need to stay close to Atlanta then this property is probably not the right choice for you, but if you need to visit the various cities north of Atlanta then this place may just be the ticket.

We booked a week’s stay here through Priceline about 4 months ago in a package deal that included air, car and hotel. The trip was for us to visit my wife’s family who lives a few exits further north from Duluth.

We arrived in Atlanta in the early afternoon and after getting our rental car headed directly to the hotel. Our room was ready at the time we arrived. We were given a friendly greeting by the desk clerk and up to our room we headed. In typical Priceline fashion, we got a double, double bed room rather than a single king room. My wife and I weren’t interested in trying to get a different room so we stuck with what we got. For those who need to book a room with two beds, be advised that the double bed rooms at this property do not appear to be double queens, but rooms with two regular double beds.

The room was very spacious, necessary of course if you have to put two beds in a room. I can only assume that a single king room would be smaller. The facility also appeared to have been refreshed or remodeled inside the past couple of years. The facility had no dank odors typical of some business grade hotels I’ve stayed at.

The pool and hot tub were sparkling clean and certainly appeared well maintained. The exercise room had all the requisite equipment, even if the equipment wasn’t the most modern or much better than what could be purchased at a Sears. The business center was available 24 hours, but there was only one computer, and on the first day I tried to utilize it, it wouldn’t connect to the Internet. The next day it seemed up and running again. But also typical of a hotel of this caliber, the one computer was of a brand and quality that appeared to have been purchased at a Best Buy in a hurry and at the lowest price and had no additional security features or software on it at least not to my recognition. Needless to say I did little in the business center because of the condition of the computer and the unsecure feeling I got when using it.

The hotel had free Wi-Fi that worked very well. So well that I was able to watch streaming Netflix in the evenings prior to retiring for the night on an iPhone with no delays or buffering. If you bring your own computer, connecting to the Internet and actually being able to use it from your room shouldn’t be a problem. I don’t recall if the hotel offered a remote printing option for those that were utilizing in room Wi-Fi.

I have mixed feelings about the free “breakfast”. There were a few hot items available, but it was a typical continental breakfast. I found the mix of hot items very strange; scrambled egg “patties”, what appeared to be heat and serve sausage patties and a very mild sausage gravy. No biscuits were to be found anyplace on the breakfast bar, but other breads were there. They did have a self-serve waffle iron and you could make a pretty good waffle using the batter they provided. There was always a limited selection of fresh fruit, which was always in good condition along with juices, milk and coffee. Although the hotel did not advertise 24-hour coffee in the lobby, they typically kept the thermo pots out until they were empty in the evening.

In room amenities were typical. The in-room coffee maker worked well and the pods the hotel provided were better than I’m used to. A huge plus, the housekeeper we had replaced our used coffee materials with new ones every day. You don’t know how many places I’ve had a multiple day stay and the coffee service was never replaced after it had been used.

I was especially pleased with how well housekeeping kept our room tidy. It was also impressive how clean the towels were. All towels and washcloths were bright, white and quite plush. It certainly appeared that a lot of care and concern went into laundry service at the Wingate.

I’m not too complimentary of the bed in the room. I felt that the bed was pretty much worn out, or at least wasn’t a particularly good one to begin with. I have come to expect low quality beds in just about all hotels I stay in, regardless of the age of the facility or the grade of hotel. Any more all I ask for is no infestations and clean linens, and it helps if the hotel has decided to abandon bedspreads, those things are huge germ and bug traps.

But this is where the place really stands out. After our week in the Atlanta area we flew home. Shortly after getting in our front door we started unpacking and realized that we left behind a couple pairs of new shoes we purchased on the trip. Feeling very depressed at what might be a permanent loss; we called the hotel to see if the housekeeping staff had located them. Being that we were calling them the evening we got home and there is a 3-hour difference we got the night desk manager and were told that nothing was in lost and found and that if housekeeping had found anything it would be there. However, we were advised to call back the next day during the day ship and the manager would take our call.

We called the next morning and got the manager, explained our situation and he promised to call back. Less than 10 minutes later we received a call back indicating that housekeeping hadn’t found anything, in our room, however the bag of shoes were found by the manager in the dumpster. It turns out that housekeeping didn’t rummage through what we left behind; they just disposed of it. I’m not sure how I really feel about that, but we were glad to hear that the shoes were found and in good shape. Our relatives in Atlanta picked them up from the hotel.

I’m especially thankful for the extra effort the manager put into going through the trash to find items we should have been smart enough to take care of on our own. Between the clean room, clean towels and linens, the attention to replacing coffee service and used soap and the extra effort to take care of a mistake my wife and I made, this place really did impress us. It certainly overshadows any issues I may have had with bed comfort or the free breakfast in the morning. We would book here again without question.

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side of the building are closer to both the elevator and the stairs which go dire...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mtgops
Porto Alegre
Reviewed September 12, 2011

The room is spacious and confortable, there´s a small kitchen but not dishes. Breakfast is really bad, just a few cheap options available for meal.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Portland, Tennessee
Reviewed June 19, 2011

We had reservations at this hotel for two rooms - 5 adults and 2 children. They would only give us rooms with one bed although they had accepted the reservation for 7 people. Obviously, we had to stay somewhere else. They were very rude on the phone when (thankfully) I called ahead about the reservation.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Christiansburg, Virginia
Reviewed March 25, 2011

The price wasn't bad and they promised to not charge me extra for extra guests. As a cheap college student we put 5 people in a room with two twin beds. They couldn't fit the cot in there but we had an airmattress. The staff was really polite and everything went smoothly. It wasn't brand new or anything but it was clean and comfortable. Decent breakfast too which was included.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
West New York, Nj
Reviewed November 1, 2010

This hotel was a wonderful surprise. the rooms were large and very clean. location was quiet and bed comfortable. Flat screen tv. the breakfast was excellent with many choices, including eggs, sausage and biscuits and gravy. also, the cost was very affordable. easy checkin and checkout.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
algiers la
Reviewed July 22, 2010

A good experience all around. The staff was friendly and helpful, particularly Issa who was manning the front desk when we checked in. Very clean, A/C worked great on a hot day. This property was renovated in the last few years and it shows. This what all of the older Wingates must do. The room was spacious and well laid out as are all Wingate hotels. A good place to stay. Only minor complaint was the beds were too hard. We used our own pads we travel with. The free breakfast up til 9;00 was good.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple