“Lightning in Room”
Review of Super 8 Dublin

Super 8 Dublin
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Dublin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
BLYTHE
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We had a great stay, the room was nice and quiet. The breakfast was good and hot.
This is the place we will stay every visit.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Super 8

Lantana, Florida
Reviewed October 1, 2012

My husband and I have stayed in Dubin motels many times. Since we spend most of our time out and about, all we needed was a clean bed and shower.....Considering how inexpensive this room was I was pleasantly surprised that it was on the first floor (as I had asked when I made the reservation) and away from the road (noise). We spent two nights here and it was definitely a place we will return to. Not only did we get what we asked for, but the room had a nice flat screen tv (for hubby) a refrigerator and a microwave. It was CLEAN, and was a decent size. The people were super friendly and helpful. There was no parking hassles or noise from other rooms as we have encountered in the past. Definitely will stay here again.

Room Tip: If you can - make your reservations in advance. Even small towns the best rooms are booked early...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Indiana
Reviewed September 16, 2012

After reading several good reviews of the Hotel I decided to give it a try. After all being a frugal person paying only about half of what the surrounding hotels were charging was my thing...

Well there is no fairy story here... You get what you pay for...

When we arrived about 7:30 PM the clerk informed me that the only non smoking room left like we had requested was on the second floor.. Also there was no elevator but we took it anyway. Before you say Big Deal.. We are both well past 70 and have some problems with mobility on stairs.

First problem was that after carrying our luggage up the stairs the keys did not work.. So left the wife outside the non functioning door and back down to the lobby for new keys... Second problem, the clerk has dissapeared... There was a bell on the desk that I proceded to ring but no response.. After some time she decided to reappear.. Said that since it was such a beautiful evening she had decided to go outside for a short walk.

OK, got the new keys and headed back to the far end of the place and up the stairs. Into our "non smoking" room and noticed a fair amount of old smoke smell.. Ask DW if it would bother her asthma but she said she could take it.. Not real bad, just an annoying smell that gets into everything you have.

Now the room itself was just as expected.. This is a very basic type room which is exactly what I paid for and what I expected for the price. It was clean, the bed was comfortable, the room was good sized and the noise level was minimal. No complaints about getting what I paid for here. One of the smell problems was with the two very thin towels and the sheets.. I think somewhere in the storage area or laundry they must have an employee break area where they have their cigarette breaks since they smelled of smoke.

The one area that we were not comfortable with was the outside lighting. At least every other exterior light was off. This made for some very dim areas on the walkways. This also included the stairways which were downright spooky. I am not the most timid guy on earth but when you are in a strange motel in a town where you have never been before and do not know what kind of area you are in... Well you just have to be very aware and the low light level did not add to our sense of well being.

The next morning we went down for the breakfast.. Talk about basic, this was it.. Coffee from one of those coffee in a bag machines. Gravy that had sat too long and turned very solid. We each had a quick Bagel and checked out.

Now the bottom line as I see it.. This is a very basic motel.. BUT you know up front that for the price that you are paying it will not be even a Hampton Inn level unit. The room was clean, the bed was very comfortable. The bathroom area was as clean or cleaner than many other hotels I have stayed in. The management just needs to replace a lot of burned out light bulbs for safety and comfort levels.

You are the only one who can decide if the Super 8 is right for you. The price is great, the place is clean but very basic. Just be prepared with maybe a bit lower expectation level after reading some of the glowing Tripadvisor reports.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jtn123
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Clean rooms, clean showers, cold a/c, quiet location, right off the interstate, inexpensive... and the employees were very, very pleasant.

My traveling companion accidentally left her pillow in the room and took their pillow. We weren't 22 miles down the pike when they phoned me and told me of the pillow..
Instead of having us return to pick up the pillow, they offered to ship it to my friends house in St. Louis.. How about them apples?

If you're switching from 75 to I-95 and going through Dublin, this is a great place to spend the night. Plenty of places for morning coffee or breakfast, right within 100 yds of the motel. Otherwise, you can eat their continental breakfast. I prefer good proteins for breakfast, so their buffet thing wasn't something I was interested in.... But if you eat that stuff... there's plenty of it. Lots of fresh coffee, too..

I would stay here again, if I were heading towards I-95 from 75..
This is the kind of place that you can get a good nights sleep in a really cold a/c room!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends