New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“A must do when you are in Atlanta” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gumbeaux's a Cajun Cafe

Gumbeaux's a Cajun Cafe
Ranked #1 of 171 Restaurants in Douglasville
Good for: Special occasions, Kids, Large groups, Dining on a budget, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Toronto, Canada
“A must do when you are in Atlanta”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2013

Great atmosphere, very unassuming, lots of fun and the food was fabulous! Huge selection for everyone even if you do not like Cajun, Seafood or Spicey food. I will definitely go again! Sampled all there meals that our group ate and all were awesome! Side dishes were delicious as well. I think my favourite was a pasta dish, sorry I cannot recall the name.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Pineapple327

Rochester, New York
“Go here everytime I'm in the area”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2013 via mobile

The menu is extensive and delicious. The food is flavorful. Two portion sizes are offered on many entrees. The jalapeno creamed corn was fabulous. The atmosphere is friendly. I've been here twice, which is as many times as I've been to the area and will go back again.

1 Thank JMWC2002
“Overwhelmed!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013

Awesome experience! I arrived at 4:30 p.m., only to find that they don't open until 5 o'clock for dinner. I ran a couple of errands and when I came back a line had already begun to form outside of the door - at least 15 people were ahead of me on a Thursday night, but, they had turned on the zydeco music outside and everyone was laughing and bobbing to the music.

I already mentioned the margarita and the Cajun crabcakes. My only wish was that these had the jumbo lump, but two large cakes with their sauce were delicious! I could only eat one. They offer three or four different crab cakes! Seared, fried, baked..., etc.

On to the Dixie jambalaya. Very well seasoned! Will have again. HUGE portion! Enough for three people. Plus it comes with a side! The sides are only a dollar if anyone just wants to sample everything! Plus bread.

My server was busy, but never left me. She was at my table at least six times and even gave me detailed instructions on how-to reheat the bread pudding.

This is a must try! Arrive early to get a good parking spot. Tuesday is shrimp night!

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Shadowcat54
Douglasville, Georgia
“Update on Gumbeaux's”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

The last review I gave of Gumbeaux's, I was really more 'charitable' than I wanted to be, as it was such a disappointment to get really good food that was spoiled by an overabundance of 'cajun seasoning' powder, rendering the food simply too salty to taste, if that makes sense. Since that visit we have gone twice more. The second visit was another disappointment: food too salty, but, I tasted the seafood chowder that someone else ordered, and it was delicious, even if it was too salty. Still, I left there feeling that the food was not worth what we paid. Until yesterday. We decided we wanted an oyster poboy and there really isn't any other alternative, so we decided to give it one more 'go'....and boy, am I glad we did!
We knew something must be up when we got there at a couple of minutes before 5 p.m. and there was already a line down the sidewalk. When we were seated, I told the waitress that I'd overheard someone saying that this was 'shrimp night' and would she explain what that was. She told us that on Shrimp night, the shrimp were $.50/ea, in lots of 10. Boiled shrimp, "French Quarter Shrimp" (boiled shrimp in a butter and herb sauce), fried shrimp...any of them in lots of 10 for $.50/ea. Sounded good...we love boiled shrimp!
So we decided to split an oyster po'boy (which came with one side--we chose fries), and ordered 2 side salads (which were FABULOUS!) Their ranch dressing is undoubtedly the best I've ever had, and the salad had such fresh greens, lots of grape tomatoes, and lots of my favorite: cucumbers. Oh, and the croutons? Oh. My. Gosh. They were great...chunks of French bread toasted with butter and herbs (too salty, of course, but okay for the salad) and just soft enough to melt in your mouth. To go with our po'boy, we ordered 10 each of the boiled, and the French Quarter shrimp.
We finally felt like we got the best of Gumbeaux's! The po'boy was outstanding, the fries were hot and fried perfectly. They did have the powder on them, but NOTHING like they had on our previous visits. They were really delicious. The shrimp? Other than being oversalted, the boiled shrimp were as good as any I've ever tasted in NOLA, or regions nearby. The star of the show was, imho, the French Quarter shrimp. Even though they were in a buttered herb sauce, THEY didn't seem oversalted...go figure :-) Let me say at this point that one possible explanation for this is that I am gradually getting accustomed to the 'southern palate' again and therefore the salt load which characterizes it. No matter, the French Quarter Shrimp was delicious, and when compared with the regular boiled shrimp, not nearly as salty. I would've enjoyed the boiled shrimp just as much, but they were just so salty they burned your mouth.
In spite of the salt, this trip to Gumbeaux's was well worth the $$ and we really, really enjoyed it. The staff is always friendly and helpful, and this time was not different. For this meal, Gumbeaux's earns 5 stars!

• Visited October 2013
3 Thank mabestrn
Birmingham, Alabama
“A Must!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Every single time we travel to Atlanta, my husband and I stop at Gumbeaux's to eat. The food is just too good to pass by.

Visited August 2013