“Great Food Can't Wait to go Back!”
Review of Gu's bistro - CLOSED

Gu's bistro
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Szechuan Style--opened 3 Months Ago
Atlanta, Georgia
“Great Food Can't Wait to go Back!”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Sometimes in this wonderful city it seems good Chinese food is hard to find. I know a few places I enjoy but more often than not walk away disappointed. Gu’s Bistro was not one of those experiences!
Just north of 285 on Buford hwy in a strip mall with plenty of parking Gu’s was mostly easy to find. GPS had us turn on McElroy road and if you do the same just know it is in the strip mall to the left after you turn. Parking was abundant and dress was casual. We arrived on Sunday around 6:30 and it was quite but by the time we left at 7:30 it had started to fill up.
The worst part about Gu’s is the menu. There is SO much to choose from. Thankfully we did a little research before I went to have an idea of what we wanted to try or it would have taken a long time to figure out what to order.
We went with some of the popular picks and decided to get two apps and a main dish and split all of them. I ordered warm tea which was okay at best. It was not steeped when it arrived but to the waiters credit he did tell us to let it sit a while. We ordered the Chengdu Style Cold Noodles, Zhong Style Dumplings, and Chongqing Spicy Chicken.
Yummy! It was all very tasty and spicy. A good spice nothing was too hot. After you swallowed and enjoyed the food you felt a hint of a heat sneak back in. The chicken was the spiciest but even it was not overly hot. The most challenging aspect of the dinner was eating it all with chopsticks. For me I’m okay with them but it was a fun challenge. I am sure if we asked the wait staff for forks they would happily have helped though.
The cold noodles were fantastic if you order them just mix them up some there is some great sauce that seeps to the bottom of the dish. The Zhong Dumplings were fantastic as well. I think I liked them more than the noodles. The spice chicken was actually our least favorite. They were little chicken bites with peppers. Tasty and hot for sure but not as delicious as the other offerings. I’m happy I tried it but with so much on the menu I’ll probably want to try another main dish when I return.
I mentioned the worst part about the experience was the expansive menu, but by the time we finished I knew the best part was the menu because there were so many other dishes I wanted to try when we returned. This was great Chinese food!

• Visited January 2014

Dunwoody, Georgia
“Wow, Is It Hot!”
Reviewed November 24, 2013

But boy is it tasty. Fans of hot spice will love this Szechuan spot just north of the Perimeter in Atlanta. It was packed on a recent Saturday night, yet the dishes came out in good time. Ten of us shared shrimp, tofu, eggplant, dumplings and noodles. With the shrimp came a slow and steady burn that dissolved into a long-lasting tingle. The ladies at the table felt their lips and proclaimed it "better than Botox!" No permanent effects, though, and the icy water and digestive dessert soup brought us all back to room temp. A fun place. Will try again.

• Visited November 2013
Atlanta
“Simply Awesome!”
Reviewed November 6, 2013

We love trying all of the unique restaurants along Buford Highway, and I have to say, I think Gu's might be the best we've had yet!

We went a little earlier than usual on a Saturday night and did not have to wait for a table. I think you may need a reservation if you visit later than 7pm on a weekend. Anyway, we talked to the man who seated us about his suggestions, and we'd also read some online reviews, so we had an idea of what we wanted.

We began with the dry fried eggplant, which was so good - very crispy with a nice spice to the "fries." We also had the zhong dumplings, the lamb curry and the Twice Cooked Smoked Pork Belly with Guokui. Every bite was delicious, however, we were most impressed with the pork belly. The guokui provided just the right contrast in texture and flavor.

We love Gu's and we will most definitely be back soon!

• Visited October 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
“Will not return”
Reviewed November 1, 2013

We just ate for the third time at Gu's Bistro and were very, very disappointed in the service, the food, and the lack of concern for the very bad experience we had. My husband's meal arrived, and after approximately 20 minutes I asked where mine was, and they said that they didn't have adequate chefs. I cancelled mine and ate some of my husband's. There was no attempt to compensate us for this. They could have cared less. We will not be back. The food that we did have was greasy and laden with fat. There are better Chinese restaurants in Atlanta than this one. Spend your money on a decent restaurant, and it is not Mr. Gu's.

• Visited November 2013
Clemson, South Carolina, United States
“Good sichuan food”
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Very decent sichuan food. I really like eating there. Their Si Chuan dishes are very authentic and spicy.

Visited October 2013