“Great place to go after a doy on the river.”

Big Jims Oyster Bar Restaurant
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Great place to go after a doy on the river.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

I have been to Big Jim's several times and the food is pretty consistent. My family loves the atmosphere, very laid back. The only problem is the service, they are as laid back as the atmosphere. Over all, it's a neat place to eat.

• Visited September 2013

Sarasota, Florida
“Middle of nowhere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

We were in the area march 9-13, there were no other restaurants open on a Tuesday night in this area. We decided to get something to go. The fries and chicken tenders were good. The grouper was good. Not really a fish eater so my opinion on that shouldn't count.

Donalsonville, Georgia, United States
“Best Place on Lake Seminole”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2012

Big Jim's is not a resort, it is a "Fish Camp". The food is good, the service is inconsistent, but it is one of the few places on Lake Seminole to eat at and it is better than the one other place that is near. In the warmer months it is open air, no air conditioning. In the cooler months they drop semi clear plastic sheets over the windows and fire up patio heaters. Thank goodness it is now NO SMOKING. The owners are wonderful people and the prices are reasonable.

Visited December 2012
Atlanta Georgia area
“A difficult place to review”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2012

This was a difficult review to complete. I have been to Big Jim’s multiple times over the past few years. The service was usually slow and the portion sizes erratic, but I blamed this on the volume of business. In my mind, I have a positive attitude about Big Jims, and I choose the restaurant.

On most of my trips this place was packed, so I used this as an excuse for the service and food. Last Saturday, we went and there were very few customers, never more than 6 tables. It appeared that there were 4, or more servers. There were multiple people standing in the kitchen. In any case, this visit’s service was very slow, the waitress was inattentive, and the food varied in quality of preparation.

Here is the night in roughly chronological order. We entered at about 7:45 pm, and were the second table to arrive. This is a seat yourself place, so we took seats. About 5 minutes later a server came out of the kitchen. Another few minutes later, she came to our table. Eventually, we got your drinks ordered, and eventually we got our drinks. At that point, some of us were allowed to order. The waitress skipped a few of the guests, and we had to find her to place their orders. None of the items required extensive prep time (fried fish, grilled steak, grilled shrimp, fries, and salads). The time from order to food, was 30-40 minutes. We also had raw oysters, which were excellent and served quickly. The Big Jim specialty is plates for multiple people (e.g., 2-3 person seafood plate for $36), with everything served on a single cookie pan. Getting drinks refilled was difficult. All in all, the visit was not very satisfying.

So why go to Big Jim’s. The first is this area of Georgia is a restaurant desert. It is many miles to other restaurants, and most of them are much worse than Big Jims. The atmosphere is very funky and fun. You are by the lake, the place is open to the elements, the décor is redneck chic, and the crowd is usually interesting. The place usually has good oysters. They have a rib eye steak that is superb (only the steak is good, the fixings are blah). For the price, the fried seafood is about correct (Captain D’s quality).

So why not go to Big Jims. The first is that the food (except for the oysters and rib eye steak) is just OK and the service is usually bad. The second is that it may not pass the hygiene test for many people. The third is the toilets are away from the restaurant in a darkened area and also have cleanliness issues.

Bottom line, I eat out in this part of Georgia about 25 times per year. For the past few years, I have visited Big Jims one-two times per year. I will probably maintain that frequency. I still have a positive view of Big Jims and the oysters have always been good.

I gave 3 stars, based on alternates in this part of Georgia. Since most are really bad, Big Jims is OK.

• Visited December 2012