“Not great”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Dillard
White Springs, Florida, United States
“Not great”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

The first floor still smells like smoke. Shower would not drain. Staff was nice though! Location was great. Pool was nice. Breakfast was not that wonderful. Staff did give me a can of disinfectant spray for the smoke smell. Must have been an older smoking motel. Other friends on the second floor said there were no odor.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Kim E
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Gateway Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
Dear Kim E,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on your stay. I am pleased you found our location to be convenient and our staff delivered at par customer service. However, I sincerely regret that the room you were given was a disappointment. Your comments will be used to consider for upgrades needed.

Regards,

Pam G
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Griffin, Georgia
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We stopped by and reserved a room prior to eating at the Dillard House. While we were hesitant to stay in a Holiday Inn, we recently stayed in a Holiday Inn in Dothan, AL, and had a great experience. We were told there were two types of rooms available - regular ($99) and hot tub ($149). My wife and I chose the hot tub room, brought in our bags, and took a nap before dinner. The room, while it was marked "non-smoking" smelled as though it had been recently smoked in. We always use the in-room coffee makers, so I investigated the coffee situation and noticed that the bag of regular coffee we had been provided had been cut open and emptied. I assume the staff overlooked this when cleaning the room. The person at the front desk provided us more coffee, so that was not a biggie.

After visiting the Dillard House, we came back to the room and drew a bath. We didn't notice at first, but the after hopping in the hot tub, we found ourselves surrounded by a weird yellow foam. Freaked out, we got out of the tub and tried to call the front desk. Our phone was dead. After getting in the shower, my wife went down to the front desk and was told the phones had been struck by lightning several weeks before and some rooms hadn't been fixed yet. We were rather put off that we were not told this upfront, since neither of our cell phones had service in the mountains. The front desk told us the hotel was on well water and to run the hot tub for 5-6 minutes, and then fill it up to alleviate the foam issue. We said "okay" and agreed to try it in the morning. I should also note that the water in the shower had a very strong smell of rust.

The next morning I ran the water for a good 10 minutes before putting in the stopper. The pictures in this review can give you an idea of the color of the water. Needless to say, we did not get back in. I drained the tub, and you'll notice that the residue leftover. Completely disgusting. Also in the pictures, I noted the fire alarm dangling from the wall. Not a major issue (assuming it actually functioned) but still something minor that you would not expect to see.

I'm writing this review the day after we left the hotel. I called the corporate support number on the Holiday Inn website and shared this info with the rep. They offered a $60 check to compensate. My wife and I are not hotel snobs, and are really easy to please, but I felt this experience needed to be shared. The staff, the breakfast and the location were all great, but the minor and major items the staff overlooked during our stay really make me wonder what I didn't see.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Garrett842013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Gateway Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear Garrett842013,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. We welcome feedback as it assists us in our never-ending task to better ourselves and improve things for our guests.

I am disappointed to read that your experience was not what you expected. I sincerely apologize for the dissatisfaction you had with the hot tub and for the inconvenience this has caused you. We deeply regret the negative experience and impressions you may have had.

Dhan M
IHGCare

Travelers are raving about these Dillard hotels

Taylors, South Carolina
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Allowed us early check in. Clean and comfortable. Pool area was also clean and the pool area was inside. We only stayed one night but would stay again. Price is reasonable. Breakfast was more than adequate. The driveway is a little tight at the entrance. Overall we had a very good stay and good nights rest.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed July 28, 2013

A friend and I just stayed here last night . When we got undressed for bed we noticed the floor felt damp. I called the front desk and the night clerk said he had had quite a lot of complaints about our room and another beside it because the floor felt damp . We noticed this morning that our clothes felt damp and there was supply's black spots on the bathroom

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank kisa11
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Gateway Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear kisa11,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding the room condition and bathroom cleanliness. We will address these points. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Riverside, New Jersey
Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

Two nights here with others: two neighbors, cousins from Atlanta. Place is comfortable. It is popular -parking lot fills. Breakfast ample and tasty. Room phones work. Elevator works. Lights a little funny but they work. I like a room with a lot of lighting. Bed soft and sleepy. Air conditioning runs quietly. stay here!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Peter S
Georgia
Reviewed June 27, 2013

My husband and I spent a Saturday night at this HIE. It had all the typical comforts of a hotel room, but it smelled smokey. It advertised itself as a smoke free establishment, but the smell was extremely strong in the halls on the second floor and at our doorway. Maybe someone was smoking, but it's quite possible the second floor was previously a smoking environment. The wallpaper in the bathroom was stained as if someone had previously smoked in there.

The only other complaint is more of a personal preference, and that is that they only supplied two towels for the room. With a kitchenette, I like a few extras.

We'll go back and try it again when in the area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Gateway Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Dear MufeGwen,

Thank you so much for your candid review of our hotel. Kindly accept our sincerest apology for the smokey smell of the room. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Karen G.
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Dillard Georgia for a business/mini-vacation weekend on Memorial Day weekend. It appears that this an older hotel that has been completely renovated to be a Holiday Inn Express. The room was very clean, the beds were wonderfully comfortable and we liked that there were a variety of firmness for the pillows. There was a flat screen TV, a mini fridge and a microwave. I wasn't really enthused about having the sink outside of the bathroom but some people might like that. There wasn't an in-room safe either. There was also a 4 cup coffee pot in the room. The toiletries were nice - citrus scented. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. There was an indoor pool and hot tub. The pool was cool but not cold (it was still a little chilly at night in Dillard) and the hot tub was not a traditional hot tub - older with just a few jets that weren't very forceful - more of a soaking tub but still nice. The free breakfast was fine with good choices such as yogurt, eggs, cereal, biscuits and gravy, muffins, bagels, etc. Also regular and decaf coffee and cookies were available all day in the lobby except for breakfast hours. There was a leak under our sink (room 213) that we didn't report till we left because we didn't want to wait around on a maintenance person so we just put the garbage can under it. Also the phone didn't work - they said that they had a lightening strike earlier in the month and were trying to get all the phones fixed. Since we had cell phones it wasn't really an issue. This is a very nice property in a very beautiful location. Would highly recommend.

Room Tip: There are only two stories and I would think any room would be fine.