“Not a bad choice”

Hodges Bar-b-que
Ranked #188 of 459 Restaurants in Decatur
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed November 7, 2015

It is across Candler from a quasi Piggly Wiggly slash fresh foods grocery. I found Hodges can be safe exited by taking a right onto south bound Candler and then taking a quick right onto the first side street, following that "street" south until you quickly hit a cross street going east and west. If I take the left choice I hit Candler at a functioning traffic light. As for the service, décor, and ambience, not to mention the choices and flavors. Just place your order and get out. Cost will be 10 bucks and change. Do not tilt your plastic baggie. Taste is in the eye of the beholder.

Date of visit: November 2015
Write a reviewReviews (8)

Reviewed July 16, 2015

I have gone to Hodges over the years and have experienced the different changes, but the consistency has bee the Bar-B-Q. I especially enjoy the potato salad, it is just like mine. I never eat in, I always take out. The workers are always kind and nice to me, I usually have to stop them from putting too much on my plate.

Date of visit: July 2015
Reviewed April 7, 2015 via mobile

I went to Hodges on this past Easter, 2015, just a few days ago. I've told so many people about my experience and I'm still talking about it. I got the turkey wings (which I think were baked), greens and black eyed peas. This is "jump back and slap your moma", food! That means, it was the best! Seriously, it tasted like the food I grew up tasting. The turkey was seasoned to perfection, the greens were so leafy and clean and seasoned perfectly. I thought they were collards until a lady behind me asked for them by name. I had just asked for greens. I was delighted to hear what they were because I love all types of greens. The black eyed peas were seasoned to perfection as well and even the cornbread was great. The price was a little over 7 dollars, which puts other places to shame. I think about one barbecue place in conyers that I had been going to to get their greens and potato salad only. They're good but they charge you 3.00 per side and the amount they give you makes you feel like you're contributing to hwy robbery. Anyway, never again now that I've discovered Hodges. I eat at nice places all over the city all the time and I want to encourage you to get past the parking lot or bldg here. I noticed the score and I'm sure those things probably subtracted from them. Don't let the looks from the outside deceive you. I put this place up to any soul food restaurant in town. Any! Again it's the absolute best I've had. Also, the nice lady in line let me sample the broccoli salad. This was amazing as well.

Date of visit: April 2015
1  Thank JSRMom
Reviewed October 1, 2014

The soul food here is great!! I had the smothered turkey wing with side of corn bread dressing and macaroni and cheese. My wife had small rack of ribs with sides of greens and Lima beans & cornbread. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We will definitely visit again when in Atlanta.

Date of visit: September 2014
Reviewed September 3, 2014

We ate here this past weekend and I can't wait to go back!!! We got there kind of late so there were some items they were out of, but that was to be expected. The greens and squash were to die for. Seriously. They made no sense at all as they melted in my mouth!!! The ribs were tender and delicious. The ladies who served up our food no doubt had a crazy busy day but they were smiling and shared happiness with us. As I ate the banana pudding trying to figure out what it was made of I realized the flavors were so complimentary of each other we were unable to distinguish what exactly was in it! This soul food was cooked with LOVE. We will definitely be back and don't forget the homemade lemonade!!!

Date of visit: September 2014