“hometown coffee shop”
Review of Java Monkey

Java Monkey
Ranked #2 of 9 Coffee & Tea in Decatur
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Funky coffee shop with good coffee (fair trade) and dessert, beer and wine bar, supports local music. Set up is a bit weird -- wade through the seating area to the ordering area, then around the bar area, then outside to music/patio area. Don't go if you want to be friends with the barrista or you want wifi, but if you are strolling around the square at night looking for dessert, and Cakes and Ale already closed, here's your place.

Reviewed April 15, 2012

I have been visiting Decatur, Georgia for the past 5 years as my son made his way through Georgia Tech. We have a condo just around the corner from Java Monkey, a bohemian coffee house. The furniture is stuff most people throw away which adds to the place's atmosphere. I go there with my wife who is a coffee addict and she says their coffee is excellent. They also have good sandwiches and some pastries.

When I first started, I would eat their cakes, which were excellent. Over time, the prices went up and the slices got smaller. Last time, the cake was also stale so I have given up eating their cakes. I guess it's because less people are eating them.

But if you want really good cakes. Java Monkey buys the cakes and pies from Southern Sweets Bakery where the prices have not changed and the slices are larger. Problem is they are just outside of town and you have to drive to get to it. But they are worth it and when I feel like eating cake, that is what I do.

Reviewed March 16, 2012

From students writing papers, to mom's with strollers, to hipsters discussing the meaning of life.. Java monkey has a little bit of everything. Good tea (I don't drink coffee, but I hear it is good) Free, but spotty wifi and good food it is an ok place to spend the afternoon. I don't like to do serious work here (the tables are too small) but for meeting up with friends it is great. They often have bands or poetry slams at night on the patio area. Besides they support the community and give to quite a few local charities.

Reviewed February 20, 2012

This is a nice average coffee shop. I'm a guest in town, so I don't know it's overall reputation, but I went there purposefully to work online and was not able to get a strong enough signal anywhere in the place, so I had to pack up and leave. This feels like a wonderful place to socialize and listen to live music.

Reviewed January 30, 2012

Went on a Friday around 5pm. Had a glass of wine that the cashier helped me pick you. She might have been the manager though but regardless, she was very nice. The atmosphere was quiet and friendly. I'd definitely go back!