“Our favorite neighborhood place”

Avondale Pizza Cafe
Ranked #147 of 375 Restaurants in Decatur
Reviewed December 21, 2012

This is our favorite place to eat- that is for my daughter and me. We get the same things- she gets a bowl of black olives, cheese sticks and cheese ravioli. We like their homemade pretzels, and I like pizza slices and the turkey sub- we love the waiters that have been there from 8 years ago- they are so wonderful to my child!

There are newer reviews for Avondale Pizza Cafe

Reviewed May 29, 2012

Our family eats here once a week and often twice. Our big favorite is the veggie combo slice, which is a meal in itself for $3.95. The pizza crusts are what really make it great - they have a "just right" crispness, texture and flavor together with a wonderful sauce and again just the right amount of cheese to serve as the base for whatever toppings they add on, and in the case of hte veggie slice or the Avalanche that is an impressive pile of fresh and flavorful goodies. The Cafe's slices are huge, so we almost never bother getting a full pizza as there are only three of us.

Their calzones are REALLY huge and very well done, and they come with a generous bowl of the tastiest marinara sauce I have found anywhere this side of New Jersey. Yes, these things are a matter of taste, but I have been to some very pricey Italian restaurants whose sauces just can't touch this. Oh, yeah and if you sop up too much of it (easy to do) just ask and they will bring you another bowl at no extra charge, no funny looks, no questions asked. The spinach and mushroom calzone happens to be my favorite, but whatever is yours... you could easily share one and make it a meal for two.

The other reviewers about poor service I can only say were unfortunate and in my many, many experiences there are anomalies. I have had to wait occasionally when they had a very big party or been short-staffed, or simply go call someone's attention if we strolled in when someone wasn't looking but only on a handful of occasions out of many. As to the clientele, it is a very mixed crowd, and to characterize it as a mix of policemen and hippies is maybe 10% of who is there at any given time and rarely more than that. Again, it sounds to me like that reviewer wandered in at an unusual time. The location is admittedly not anyplace trendy like nearby downtown Decatur has become, but you can occasionally find a gem of good food at bargain prices and friendly service even if it's in a little scruffy strip mall.

1  Thank Bryant S
Reviewed May 14, 2012

This is our fav for pizza. We can walk to the restaurant, sometimes due to crowds we've waited in line. They have take-out, serve a lot of ball teams, have a room in the back for guests. I like several of the pizzas but Avondale Avalanche is my favorite and we order a large, bring the leftovers home and freeze the pieces to warm up in the toaster oven. Its tasty leftovers!

1  Thank Bcr8tve
Reviewed January 3, 2012

I am really disappointed in the quality of service I received at Avondale Pizza Café today. I entered into the establishment alone, sat myself, and waited for around 10 minutes before anyone even addressed me. Let me add that it wasn’t even busy for it still to be considered lunchtime (around 12:40 pm). Finally a server stopped by to ask if I had been helped and took my order which consisted of a slice of pepperoni pizza, a small chef salad (minus olives), and hot tea. Well I was delivered my salad (plus a load of olives) and hot tea almost immediately and then my server disappeared. I had a friend to walk in around 5 minutes after I received my salad and tea, but she too sat for around 10 minutes until I finally suggested that she walk to the counter to place her order since my server was nowhere to be found. Again we waited, and waited, and waited. I finally walked to the counter to ask to speak with a manager since my slice of pepperoni was MIA and it was taking forever for my friend to receive her order as well. I spoke with Mike, the manager/pizza maker, who refused to even walk to the front counter because he was busy making pizza and requested that I come off to the side where he was located. I explained to him that I had been waiting a very long time and even witnessed another party walk in minutes behind me but seem to have had a full lunch plus refills in front of them. He didn’t offer an apology for the poor service but said that he would take care of our checks. As Mike and I were talking, a different server butted in and said that she had our orders and proceeded to deliver it to our table. To our dissatisfaction, we were delivered lukewarm pizza and a check with less than impressive discounts…….Thanks “Mike” (sarcasm)!!

Well I tried to make the best of it and ate most of my slice. I had to leave earlier then my friend, vowing to never return. However, shortly after my friend called and explained to me that I had been banned from the restaurant based on the chitter chatter she heard amongst the servers. I guess I was supposed to tip server 1 and server 2 for ignoring us, providing poor service, and lukewarm pizza.

Avondale Pizza Café, I am not a fool. I do not pour my money into any establishment where I am not treated well as a customer, so you banning me is a joke. I’m sure you realize as a small business that every dollar counts. No one in their right mind should accept bad service especially when our money is what keeps your doors open. I don’t live in this area but I work in this area for a state entity that constantly looks for different eating establishments to cater to our students, faculty, and staff. I will be inquiring as to whether this establishment is on our vendor list, and if so, request that you be removed. I am really disappointed in the quality of service from your servers and the lack of concern from management.

1  Thank Ms B
Reviewed November 5, 2011

Avondale Pizza Cafe has a lot of 'clientele' that would make you want to run. I'm sure the policemen, who always happen to be in the shop, are getting a huge discount, and the hippies are just part of the equation, since basically, all of them live in Avondale. My family likes the pizza and we got one for free this time, (because our order was wrong last time), being one of the only reasons we went. I do not reccomend it, being in the middle of nowhere, and the staff wearing all piercings basically, everywhere. The food is average.

1  Thank Adam R