“French Cafe & AJC Decatur Book Festival !!”
Review of Cafe Alsace

Cafe Alsace
Ranked #10 of 423 Restaurants in Decatur
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed September 3, 2018

On Labor Day weekend we took a day trip to Decatur, Georgia, and happened upon the famous AJC Decatur Book Festival. Hiking around scores of tents and an hour into the heat, we found ourselves in front of Cafe Alsace - a little storefront-slice of Paris. Their food is Country French in the spirit of let's say Jacques Pépin. Chef Benedicte Ulsas Cooper started the cafe 21 years ago - it is charming, small (12-tops), and authentic.

For a luncheon we had cold Avocado Soup and Peach Gazpacho - both refreshing and delicious on a 90-degree day. I had Smoked Salmon and Eggs on a Croissant and my wife had an Artichoke and Onion Quiche. A nice house White Burgundy was perfect. Talking with Benedicte, she mentioned that pates were her specialty. We tried her Walnut, Bacon and Chicken Liver Pâté and it was so good we bought some to take hone (One-pound minimum).

Cafe Alsace is located just off the Decatur square, so street parking is the best option. It is very small so go early or late or call for reservations. If you want your children to experience authentic French cuisine, this is your opportunity. Cafe Alsace reminded us of a locals' neighborhood spot in the City of Light.

Reviewed June 18, 2018

Great selection of french cuisine. ordered escargot and was delicious served with a baguette which was great for the sauce. My wife had the trout,was delicious wrapped in foil and had a crab topping. enough for two actually. And I ordered the special on the board..lamb loin chops. This was a dissapointment, however. The three chops appeared large until you cut away the fat and then the little meat there was was gristly. I do not send food back out of respect for my guests and they do not have to wait till I am served again. But the spaetzel that came with was just as it should....delicious with a wonderful sauce. Should have ordered the beef wellington which was actually my first choice but changed at the last moment of ordering. Otherwise a good choice for french cooking. Just do not order the lamb loin chops.

Reviewed May 29, 2018

Just happened upon this restaurant and was glad we did. Small restaurant nicely decorated cafe near the main square of Decatur. We went in for lunch. The 3 of us all ordered quiche, 3 different types available. Very tasty, good sized portions. Service was attentive and friendly. Definitely recommend if you are in the area.

Reviewed May 17, 2018 via mobile

When I want a comforting French meal this is where I come. It is so like the small cafes I have dined in all over France but the Alsatian food is less fussy and more down to earth than Parisian fine dining.
Cassoulet to die for. Spetzelle and veal too yummy.
Order a bottle of wine and enjoy a bit of France in Decatur.

Reviewed April 2, 2018 via mobile

I appreciated my salad nicose with grilled salmon. Good presentation and it was a full meal. I also tried the rhubarb pie, which is my favorite pie. This was nothing like rhubarb pie that I know, but was tasty and had no strawberries (critical for me as it ruins the pie!). I would say it was more of a tart. It was served with white chocolate ice cream, good but not overly exciting.