“A bucket full of "meh"”

Sprig Restaurant and Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Sprig Restaurant and Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #45 of 377 Restaurants in Decatur
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Lavista and Clairmont Rd.
Reviewed May 18, 2013

I really, really wanted to like this place. The bio is cool; farm to table, everything made in house, etc. We arrived at 7PM on a Friday and place was fairly empty. We sat outside and were greeted pretty promptly.
In word, I found the entire experience pretty underwhelming. We ordered the smoked deviled eggs and grill oysters, listed on menu as having lemon, garlic, chili flake on a bed of rock salt. The rock salt was there and one of the oysters had a little chili flake on it. They ranged in size from that of my thumbnail to nearly that of a deck of cards and were equally inconsistently cooked. None of the flavors described on the menu were present, they were barely warm, and without any liquor or any moisture at all. I asked for some lemon when I could finally get me server's attention (it took a couple of tries). My wife and I agreed that the smoked deviled eggs were without a hint of smokey flavor. There was preserved fig and homemade crackers on the plate that were both good.
We also had the trout dip, which is awesome if you're a fan of cream cheese. That is pretty much what it tasted like. The root vegetable chips consisted of potato chips (nicely cooked), beet and sweet potato chips (both overcooked and bitter, sugar in these vegetables makes them prone to over cooking).
The fried pickles with onion straws were nicely cooked but a piece of calamari found its way into the dish (thankfully I'm not allergic to seafood).
The spring vegetable quinoa salad with a citrus coriander vinaigrette was also lacking. It lacked in acidity, seasoning, flavor.
All in all, it was pretty disappointing. There was not a single dish we had that they nailed and service was challenged. The server did not know the grapes in white blend from Oregon. I asked her to find out and a moment later someone came out and asked if I wanted to know about the chardonnay. The wine was a bit warm for a white wine and I had to ask for a bucket so it didn't get warmer. The wine list was nice enough and reasonably priced. Farm to table is cool, everything from scratch is cool, but in the end you need to have flavor of the plate and good execution, which was definitely missing. We left much of our food uneaten and spent $100.

Reviewed May 17, 2013

Eclectic sustainable changing menu - examples the day we were there included Fried Oyster Eggs Benedict; Green Eggs and Ham with coffee Coca Cola gravy and biscuits; salmon omlet with herbs, brie, and leeks; blueberry french toast with lemon sprig butter, chicken with waffle bread pudding. Everyone enjoyed their food. Seating was both indoor and out. They also have a bar with an extensive variety of wine available. Staff was friendly. Service was a little slow, so be prepared to relax and enjoy a leisurely meal.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

We've been to Sprig many times and have really enjoyed it. They change their menu each season and feature local producers for most of the menu. You can come casual or dressed up and fit right in. There's a great beer and wine list as well.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

Keep going back there with an assurance that it will always be a pleasant experience. Sometimes the food really hits a high note and it's never bad. Interesting menu without getting weird and nice staff.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

This restaurant is a gem. It's tucked away on La Vista road, but well worth the little drive. The food is farm to table and so fresh --- amazing. The atmosphere is relaxing and not in any way pretentious (which I love) - outdoor seating should you choose. I've had the fried green tomatoes which were great and the shrimp and grits...again, wonderful. The staff was incredibly friendly....laid back and willing to make recommendations or just chat it up about the beer on tap.

I highly recommend this place --- esp. if you're like me and like to support the little guys that are making a big difference;)

1  Thank ATLBuckeyeGirl