“Nice little place off the beaten path”

Sprig Restaurant and Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Sprig Restaurant and Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #25 of 375 Restaurants in Decatur
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Lavista and Clairmont Rd.
Reviewed November 1, 2012

After reading some of the other reviews I wonder if there was a change in the kitchen or staff as our visit was without any real problems and we enjoyed our meal. We had a late afternoon flight home from the airport and had been shopping in the Decatur area and wanted to get some lunch before getting to the airport where choices are limited and overpriced. They were not very busy but we were treated well by our server. My wife had the fried green tomatoes which were hot and crispy with a nice red pepper creamy sauce. I had the pepper calamari and it also came out fresh and hot from the fryer. There was a small side dish with a tomato onion chutney which was ice cold which I would have preferred be warm or at least room temp but no big deal. We each had a glass of wine and they have a good selection of both wines and beers for those interested.

My wife had the pimento cheese bacon sandwich and as it was a cold day outside she had it slightly warmed up, it came with kettle style chips and was all tasty. I had a small house salad with the addition of a small piece of grilled salmon that was moist and flavorful. The salad had apples and Gouda cheese on it, I felt like I was getting a version of a "Plowman's Lunch". The portions were just right for us, I see other reviews where people felt their portions were undersized. Perhaps they have been eating at chains that typically pile on way more food then you can possibly eat. We did not have room for dessert but they looked good.

The restaurant is at the end of a strip mall but it is nice that it faces the wooded area next door, you feel like you are not in the city as you gaze out into the forest and there is outside seating on that side as well although on the day we ate there it was too cold.

There are newer reviews for Sprig Restaurant and Bar

Reviewed October 21, 2012

My husband and I returned from a busy ' work weekend' and wanted a nice dinner close to home. We had not tried Sprig but had read about it in our local paper where it had a pretty good review. After checking the menu online we made a reservation for the same evening. We sat near the bar so we could watch some of the football game . Our view was constantly blocked of the TV by a waiter who was killing time with three youngish flirty women seated next to us, a bit annoying as far as their sound level and behavior.
We both ordered the small Caesar salad, I thought mine was quite good but my husband said his wasn't cold and didn't have enough dressing. I ordered the mussels as my entree and asked that it be brought at the same time that she brought the burger my husband had ordered. I think the order for the mussels was put in as an appetizer as the burger came out quite nicely warm and my mussels had clearly been sitting for awhile and were cold. Although cold, the flavor was quite good and the tomato garlic cream sauce was really very nicely seasoned. The burger, a bit dry with an oversized bun that overwhelmed the meat, but otherwise pretty good. ( husband removed half the bun and the balance of burger to bun was fine!)
I think our waitress was new as she didn't offer any information about specials and brought our bread after we were nearly finished with our salads, never brought water to the table until the end of the meal and only after we requested it.
Sprig has an extensive wine list and an even more extensive beer selection, all at really premium prices! We each had one glass of wine, salads and a rather small meal for about $60.00 which I thought was a bit over priced for what we ordered. Sadly, the Oak Grove area of Atlanta is in such desperate need of a 'nice' restaurant that we will probably go back out of desperation. We hope it will be better on our next visit.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

People began making this a family (read kids) restaurant. My husband and I usually go to Sprig for special occasions but the past two times we have gone we were seated at a table next to a "kids" table. I really wish this would change as we love the atmosphere, the food is exceptionally fresh, and it is close to home. We may begin trying some of the other places to dine at before returning for another "family" dinner.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

My boyfriend and I went on a busy Friday night. After a pretty short wait, we were seated. I had a bourbon flight which was very good. I'm not a bourbon expert, but I liked everything that was served. I thought $12 was fair for a sample of 5 bourbons.

They served beer from only microbreweries on the night we went. My boyfriend asked for something similar to Becks, since he didn't know the brands offered. After we went through a few people, the bartender told him that he would let his sample something he thought he would like. The next thing we know, he brings him a full serving. It was nothing like Becks, but it was good (and we were tired of the experience), so we kept it.

The board that they serve feels like a bit of a ripoff. It was $12 for 3 small slices of salami (about 1" in diameter) and a few pieces of cheese, some crisp bread and pickled veggies. I'm looking at the menu, and it says "CHOICE CURED MEATS & CHEESES Pine Street Market meats and local cheeses, crusty hearth bread, pickles GF 1 for 4.99, 3 for 11.99." I would expect more than about an ounce or a ounce and a half (tops) of meat. The meat, cheese and pickles were good, but hardly worth the money.

I had a half order of the roasted trout with grits and Brussels sprouts. All of it was very good, but I would have ordered a full next time. The portions were small, but I blame myself for ordering a half. That being said, that was one tiny filet of trout.

My boyfriend had a lamb stroganoff. When it came out, it was room temperature. That was disappointing. He had to ask for some sour cream, which usually comes with it, but okay. It was just okay. Maybe if it were a little warmer, it would have been more enjoyable.

I would come back to Sprig to have a few beers or do one of their flights, but not for dinner again.

Reviewed July 28, 2012

Went there last night on a tip from a co-worker and she had not been there. I thought it was very good, even though the menu is small. There were several options i could have ordered. The half orders of pasta were plenty to eat, especially the lamb stroganoff... very rich !! The wine and beer choices were good and our waiter recommended a nice refreshing summer wine. The patrons and staff were very friendly and we will go back for sure.