Holiday Inn Express Atlanta-Emory University Area
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Decatur
Clemmons, North Carolina
“Average hotel”
Reviewed April 5, 2014

We stayed here for two nights while visiting Emory's campus. Overall, the hotel is very average. Our room had an older feel to it, and our bed had a slight sag towards the middle -- nothing I would complain about, but our room could use updating. On the more positive side, the hotel was very clean and all the staff are very friendly. The hotel is several blocks from Emory's campus. Although you could walk (and I typically walk everywhere), it is a farther walk than I would want and you will hit some rolling hills. The hotel does offer a free shuttle to Emory which we used to get there and back. The shuttle is a nice service, but know you may have to wait 15 minutes for it as there is only one vehicle (so pad your schedule accordingly).

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Living_outdoors_NC
Atemory, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Atlanta-Emory University Area, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We appreciate your business and hope that you will stay with us again during your next visit to the area. We are sorry that there was a wait on the shuttle as it can stay busy assisting all the guests in the hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Moultrie, Georgia, United States
Reviewed February 26, 2014

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express while attending a meeting at Emory and it was a good choice. The bed was very comfortable providing me with a wonderful and restful nights sleep. Everyone was very nice and helpful. I will stay here again if I am back in the area.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Nani1995
Atemory, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Atlanta-Emory University Area, responded to this review, March 9, 2014
Thank you for selecting the Holiday Inn Express Atlanta Emory University Area. We are honored that you selected our hotel during your visit. Please stay with us again during your next visit. We appreciate your comments.
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

I booked this HIE because it had an indoor pool. Upon check in the front desk staff told us the pool hours. My children had really been looking forward to swimming. We got down to the pool only to find it was drained of all water. There was a sign on the door that said it was closed for renovations. I went back to the front desk and informed the employee that the pool was closed and her response was "oh I thought they were going to push that back to Tuesday."
If she had told us upon check in we would have left and gone to a different hotel with an indoor pool. Why management would choose a Saturday (when most families travel) to close their pool seems like a poor management decision.

My kids were disappointed but were excited for the pancake maker for breakfast the next morning. We have stayed at other HIE and the pancake maker is a big hit with the younger crowd. But AGAIN a major disappointment. The breakfast employee was completely overwhelmed in the morning with the breakfast rush and the pancake maker was broken and she could not get it fixed.

Granted these aren't huge complaints but when I specifically book a hotel for a very specific amenity I expect it to be there.

The rooms were nice but right now I would not recommend this HIE.

Stayed January 2014
3 Thank jenbudd
Jackson, Mississippi
Reviewed November 6, 2013

We were in Decatur on 11/2/13 and stayed at the HI Express. We stayed here several years ago and the hotel is still clean. Surely they must have updated it. It was quiet, the staff was nice, and we slept well. I would choose it again. The free breakfast was good.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 50States36Countries
south carolina
Reviewed October 30, 2013

My family booked two rooms at the last minute due to my fathers emergency and very serious surgery due to cancer. There was a computer glitch at check in with our reservation but the staff and management got the situation resolved and were so easy and pleasant to work with. Our stay ended up being 10 days as we needed a place to sleep while taking care of my dad each day. It was nice that they had a washer and dryer to do our clothes as our unexpected trip turned out to be longer than imagined. The rooms were clean, beds and pillows were very comfy. Breakfast was average. It was nice that Monday-Friday they provided appetizers, wine and beer in the afternoon. Popcorn and cookies also each afternoon. Nice touches! My only complaint was that the internet was WAY TOO SLOW! Not a good thing when you are trying to work while out of town.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank chichiSouthCarolina
DuBois, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 28, 2013

I highly recommend this hotel if you are staying in or near the University or anywhere near North Decatur Road in Decatur.
The staff is genuinly happy to help with restaurant suggestions and they welcome you the minute you walk in the door.

Although, I will warn you that if you try to contact any of the delivery restaurants, you probably won't get anyone to answer the phones!
Finding good restaurant choices without driving was difficult and driving out of that location is not easy. The traffic is bumper to bumper pretty much all day and evening.

The lobby was immaculate, beautiful landscaping all around the building and the rooms were very, very clean and smelled fresh.

Breakfast was so much better than many of this chain's breakfast choices. There were pancakes or waffles, cinnemon buns, eggs, yogurt and fresh fruit to choose from.

I stayed for 2 days and was very, very comfortable there.

I had no issues with the WIFI at all. It worked very well and efficient for me.

Room Tip: Don't get a room close to the front of the building or the side facing the highway, as it is non...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank pam15801
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed October 22, 2013

I booked a night at this hotel and was not able to make it due to a death in the family. The last thing I was thinking about was canceling a work trip reservation at a time like this. After the week went by and I noticed the charge on my acct., I called the GM Renee and gave her my situation and she was still unable to reverse the charges. The last thing I need is unnecessary expenses at a time like this. I asked her repeatedly if there was anything that she could do and she said "No."
Unneccesary charges of almost $200 ($170.xx, for a missed night)is the last thing that someone wants to have to deal with when dealing with other life altering events. It would have been very nice if she could have at least take care of half of the charges at least something since I did violate the policy, but, a little sympathy would have been nice.

Not booking with Holiday Inn ever again

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank TheCarter1
HIE-Emory, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Atlanta-Emory University Area, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear TheCarter1,

I understand when coping with insurmountable circumstances words can be easily lost in translation. Nonetheless, I am dejected to learn that you perceived my feedback as uncaring and unsympathetic. Please understand, my inability to waive the fee was directly related to the information you initially provided. It was not until you received my explanation and we discussed the situation several times, that you added a statement that you were dealing with a loss. Additionally, as previously mentioned, on the night of your reservation the hotel was sold out and countless individuals were turned away as your room was held in anticipation of your arrival.

I am not sure if you are familiar with the exact whereabouts of the Holiday Inn Express Emory; but, we are located within 1-3 miles of four major hospitals (Emory University Hospital, Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta Egelston, The Veteran’s Hospital and DeKalb Medical Center). We frequently work with family members that have ill children, individuals that are fighting cancer and many others who stay frequently to go to their weekly, monthly or bimonthly appointments. As you can imagine, my team and I often bear witness to inconceivable situations and are required to support guests that experience unexpected turmoil, which many times includes death. For that reason, we strive to be flexible and make exceptions when warranted. I personally, with good conscious, could not and would not make a decision without carefully evaluating all information presented and I am so sorry that you feel otherwise.

Although you stated that you will not stay at “Holiday Inn” again and I cannot waive the penalty, you do have a restricted credit (90 days) at the Holiday Inn Express Emory and we do hope that you reconsider. If you are interested in returning please do follow up with me directly to discuss the details. Again, I apologize for all that you may be faced with and I’m sure in time, things will get better.

Best regards,

Renee Williams

Travelers are raving about these Decatur hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Decatur
Poncey-Highland
Midtown
Artmore Hotel
Artmore Hotel
#14 of 171 in Atlanta

Been to Holiday Inn Express Atlanta-Emory University Area? Share your experiences!