“Clean, big rooms close to Emory medical center...”

Holiday Inn Express Atlanta-Emory University Area
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Decatur
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Nice, newly renovated hotel about 10-15 minutes from Emory med center (hopefully there won't be wrecks that prevent you from getting somewhere on time). The surrounding area seems kind of shady at nighttime, but we felt perfectly safe and had a good stay. Rooms are large, clean, and updated. Had a nice reception in the evening with beers, wine, snacks. Very tasty full buffet breakfast in AM. Nice locale where you don't have to fight downtown traffic. No fee for parking, fortunately. Nice value and pretty good rates given the proximity to Virginia Highlands, Emory, and downtown. Unfortunately, the window-unit A/C is incredibly loud at night, but definitely works to keep the room cool -- you just can't sleep because of the noise. Also, could not get the front desk to answer the phones all night (busy-signal the ENTIRE night), so no wake-up calls -- bring your cell phone or alarm clock! Regardless, enjoyed our stay here and would recommend.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Matt M

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Location is perfect if you don't mind a short drive on city streets rather than clogged interstate. We got downtown in 15 minutes or so. Exceptionally clean and service was impeccable. We had a king suite and even the pullout sofa bed was comfortable enough to sleep on.

• Stayed: September 2012
AGM-EMORY, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Atlanta-Emory University Area, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2012

Dear Pmfaulkner,

I love your choice of headline: “Escape the traffic!” Although we aren’t located in the heart of Atlanta you can definitely get to a metro destination point within a few minutes while avoiding the headaches of interstate traffic and hefty overnight parking fees.

All of your comments are greatly appreciated and I cannot wait to share your glowing words with the staff.

Thank you so much for choosing us and I’m glad we did not disappoint. We can’t wait to see you again.

Reviewed August 15, 2012

This is a small place set off the road a bit, close to the Publix and a few restaurants. The management was very nice and helpful, the rooms clean, and the decor looks fresh and updated. It's not the fanciest place I ever stayed, and the 'manager's reception' was a few crackers and some wine, but it's close to everywhere we wanted to go in Decatur.

Room Tip: Get a room away from North Decatur Road--it can get busy and a bit noisy.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Dear Cynthia,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. It’s true, we are a small property almost “tucked away”, but as you mentioned, we are conveniently located near several restaurants and only a few minutes away from a host of venues in Downtown Decatur.
Cleanliness and excellent service is a priority to us and I’m glad that our efforts are discernible.

During our managers reception we typically have a variety of hot and cold items and I am so sorry that your selection was not reflective of those options! I assure you the managers reception will be more satisfying on your next visit.

Again, thank you for your candid feedback and we sincerely hope to see you the next time you are in the North Decatur-Emory area.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed August 6, 2012

Actually stayed in 2010...Quiet, peaceful rooms always a plus, I remember a very staff when I lost my keys two times! Clean rooms and its close to ATL by a short drive. This was my first visit and they did well.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends

Dear Madisonjo,

All I can say is WOW! We are definitely very appreciative of your review. I'm elated that we made such an impact that you remembered your experience two years AFTER your stay. You will be pleased to know many of the same staff members are here and we are still consistently aiming to create a lasting impression on all of our guests.

Again, it’s great to know we made your first visit a memorable one. Thank you so much for your feedback and we hope to see you the next time you’re in the area.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

The initial reason we chose this hotel was due to its close proximity to the veterans hospital. Our son-in-law was unexpectedly admitted to the hospital. The staff were so wonderful and couldn't do enough to make sure we were cared for. The hotel was beautiful and the rooms were extremely comfortable and everything we needed was already there. Having stayed at many holiday inn express locations, I must say this was by far the most accommodating. The hot and cold hors d'oeuvres @ 5:00pm was something I had never seen at a holiday inn express before, but it was so very nice. We will be coming back when my son-in-law has his surgery and we will absolutely stay here again.

Stayed: July 2012

Dear Alyse,

Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback! With four major hospitals located within a three mile radius to our property, we understand that the unexpected can occur at any moment. For that very reason, we try our best to go the extra mile, exhibit empathy, and help our guests feel at ease when they are faced with adversity. We do try to add personal touches, such as the manager’s reception, and I am so happy that you enjoyed it.

Again, thank you for your feedback and we cannot wait to see you again!

Reviewed June 12, 2012

Great hotel, of Holiday Inn express standard. Large rooms, with nice shower/bathroom and also a comfy bed.
I had some noise at night as I was near the air con unit I think - but with ear plugs I slept well. I would ask for a quiet room when staying.
Breakfast was included, and had a reasonable variety. I hate disposable plates/cups made of polystyrene, but this seems to be the way things are done in the US.

Room Tip: Please ask for a room away from the air con unit as it was noisy at night.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
AGM-EMORY, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Atlanta-Emory University Area, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2012

Dear Mintyedinburgh,

What a candid and concise review! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts. Our rooms are very spacious and having the opportunity to relax in a large comfortable bed after a hot shower is a must! However, a quiet room is also essential so I apologize that we did not meet your expectations. If you are inclined to do so, please contact me directly and I’d love to obtain further details pertaining to this particular part of your stay.

Also, I am enthused to know that you enjoyed the breakfast selection but I do regret to advise you that it is brand standard to have disposable plates available. But did you know, located in the cabinet beneath the microwave, all of our rooms have silverware?

If you’re in the area I’d love for you to return to our hotel and I’d love to speak with you directly so we can tailor your stay according to your preferences. It would mean nothing more to my staff and me than to add that personal touch and to provide with you an outstanding and memorable experience.

Reviewed June 10, 2012

stayed here with family last week for 3 nights. Check in was quickly and friendly. Room was big and clean. Shampoo smelt great. Hotel is located in Decatur. If you want to go to downtown or midtown Atlanta, it is a 15 minute drive, depending on traffic. If you go to Stone Mountain, it is a 20 minute drive. So lacation of hotel is good. Free wifi and breakfast and in the evening free snacks and drinks, nice touch. Only downside of the hotel is the poolwater temperature. For our 3 yr old daughter the water was too cold. That's the only reason that I give 4 stars instead of 5.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Dear W_B_Eurlings,

Thank you for your succinct yet propitious feedback regarding your experience at our hotel. Feedback from ranked Trip Advisor “contributors”, such as yourself, are of special importance and your honesty is greatly appreciated.

We pride ourselves on creating a quick and efficient check-in experience as well as maintaining the highest standard of cleanliness in our rooms and I’m glad you’ve taken note of that. As you’ve mentioned, we are in close proximity to many local attractions, such as Stone Mountain Park and Georgia Aquarium in downtown Atlanta. Next time you are in the area I encourage you to also visit downtown Decatur; you will be pleasantly surprised with the quaint atmosphere, boutique shops, and restaurant selection. Regarding the “downside” of your stay, I personally apologize that the temperature of the pool was not comfortable for your daughter. We do keep the pool at a set temperature and although it is a very subjective experience we will reevaluate those settings and make every effort to adjust the temperature accordingly. Please afford us the opportunity to make it right and create a 5 star experience for you the next time you are in the area.

Again, thank you for your feedback and we hope to see you soon.

Renee Williams

Also consider these accommodations in or near Decatur
Poncey-Highland
The Highland Inn
The Highland Inn
#94 of 172 in Atlanta
Midtown
Loews Atlanta Hotel
Loews Atlanta Hotel
#5 of 172 in Atlanta

Been to Holiday Inn Express Atlanta-Emory University Area? Share your experiences!