“Excellent pulled pork near Emory”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Community Q BBQ

Community Q BBQ
Ranked #2 of 365 Restaurants in Decatur
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Local cuisine, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Atlanta, Georgia
“Excellent pulled pork near Emory”
Reviewed August 7, 2011

I've heard people talking about Community Q and finally had a chance to visit for lunch last week. We arrived a little before Noon and there were about 20 people in line. Fortunately the line moves quickly and we had our seats but I've learned that to get the full BBQ experience you typically have to be flexible at the really great places.

I stuck with the traditional pulled pork sandwich with a side of slaw. The pork was excellent - some of the best flavor I've ever had. Both sauce options on the table were great but I would have loved to sample a few more. The slaw wasn't my favorite but that's not really the reason for eating most BBQ. There were many side options so next time I'll just try something different!

• Visited August 2011

Atlanta, Georgia
“Best BBQ in Atlanta!”
Reviewed July 31, 2011

I just had lunch at Community BBQ and I loved it! I had the pulled pork sandwich with a side of potato salad. The pork was lean, flavorful, extremely tender, and was served on texas toast. The potato salad was really good too. I think the used redskin potatoes which added to the flavor. I will be back again to try their ribs and chicken!

• Visited July 2011
Georgia
“Best barbecue in Atlanta”
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Perfectly smoked brisket and delicious locally-grown vegetables at a reasonable price - can't beat it. Be sure to check the specials on the blackboard: the soups and sides are original and tasty. Friendly service and a choice of sauces on the tables make this no-frills restaurant a popular destination for the Emory-Decatur neighborhoods.

• Visited July 2011
NJ
“Great experience”
Reviewed June 25, 2011

I visited for dinner close to closing time and had the pulled chicken. Chicken was tender and smoky, sauces were flavorful and not too sweet. The side (mac and cheese and cole slaw) were well above average. Service was quick and super friendly and the atmosphere was low key and less "chain-y" than many other bbq spots. I like that they support farmers and the local CSA, and thought the prices ($10 for the dinner platter and drink) was a great deal, expecially considering the amount of food.

• Visited June 2011
Atlanta, GA
“Food isn't bad, but amazingly overpriced for simple BBQ”
Reviewed August 7, 2010

I'm not sure if these folks are trying to spin themselves as the "organic" BBQ for gourmets, but the food here was absolutely no different than eating at a chain like Sonny's. Well, I take it back...the sides of baked beans and collard greens were fresher and just overall better than most. On the other hand, what's with the ridiculous prices? I mean, to use Sonny's as a comparison again, an all-you-care-to-eat "rib plate" with a couple of sides is about $10. Here, I paid $16 for a very, very modest portion of ribs (which ultimately had as much fat as meat), and two sides. Gee whiz... You can get a pulled chicken plate for about $11...again...add drinks and this place runs you about $30-$35 for two to eat dinner...and depending on how hungry you are, you might actually still want to make a pig of yourself (pardon the pun) at a drivethru afterwards...they area bit chintzy on their portions. Maybe they are thinking of our health...

Anyhow, I would not visit this place again. Food overall was about average...price was steep...left feeling ripped off.