“go on a weekday.”

Anderson, South Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“go on a weekday.”
Reviewed July 29, 2012

went with my father in laws girlfriend while visiting them this past week. Loved their bakery section. to me the prices were great. the food was fresh. awesome deli meats. We got some halibat(sp?) to take home and grill and it was fabulous. cant wait to go back next time we are in the atlanta area for a few days. but we will not go on a sunday this time. be prepared to have a battle of the buggys while trying to push your way through. pretty close to wal mart crowd on a weekend. bluh.

1 Thank kdobbs4211

• Korean first
Falls Church, Virginia
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“A Taste of the World in Atlanta”
Reviewed July 21, 2012

This market is definitely an experience! The store is very large and has a large variety of produce, breads, dry goods, wine, fresh seafood, meats, and dairy products all over the world!! If you need a unique ingredient it's located here. All products sold are very fresh and some of the seafood is even still alive!!! There is a small cafeteria and a bakery in the store. Prices are not always cheaper than in your regular grocery store. Another wonderful thing is seeing many people from all over the world working and shopping. So many beautiful variation's of God's people on Earth! It's pretty cold in here so bring a little sweater. It's also very crowded.

Atlanta
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE”
Reviewed July 17, 2012

I have been a customer since they were on Medlock Drive and their prices, overall quality of their fruits and vegetable have been great over the years. Unfortunately, I can't say the same of their customer service. Last Saturday (7/14/12) I bought 12 Georgia Peaches (#4403) there and after leaving them out a couple days to ripen, I discovered that they were mushy. I tasted five of them to be absolutely sure, but all were bad. I took them back and politely told the lady at the customer service desk of the problem. I did not have a receipt, and frankly, I knew that could create a problem with a refund, so I asked if I could exchange the remaining seven. She said she would ask for a supervisor. Before the supervisor came in, I noticed a security man (with a gun, badge and handcuffs) standing there, and I made small talk with him, never thinking that he was there for me! When the supervisor came in and I explained my problem, she pryed open two or three peaches, which were obviously bad. She told me that there were no other customer "issues" witht the peaches and that they were not going to exchange them. I politely asked to speak with the store manager and she told me he was "on vacation". That's when the situation took an unexpected turn: The security man told me to step outside the market or he would have to ask me to leave. I tried to tell him that this was not a security matter but simply a customer service matter, to no avail. I complied and as was walking out an off-duty Dekalb police officer identified himself and told me that this was private property and that they had to go by the market policy. Again, the security officer intimated that I was to leave the market. I asked him point blank: " Are you asking me to leave, just because I wanted to return some fruit?" I told him that he would be opening himself for a lawsuit. That's when he backed off and allowed me to return inside to do some shopping, on the condition that I wouldn't mention the peaches again! I agreed, but the whole experience left me very upset and frustrated. Apparently, the Dekalb Farmer's market policy on how to deal with a customer's complaint is to call security and escort the customer off the premises. What a shameful way to conduct business!

8 Thank AtlantaPickytraveler
Atlanta, Georgia
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 157 helpful votes
“A lot to take in but plenty to enjoy”
Reviewed June 5, 2012

Your Dekalb Farmers Market is located a few minutes from downtown Decatur but you'll feel like you've walked out of the American Southeast and into an international bazaar full of exotic fruits, hard to find meats and a gazillion spices that McCormick never imagined selling.

At first, it can seem a bit overwhelming due to the sheer amount of things to look at and the noise level can be high. YDFM has a very large meat/seafood department where you can find everything from squid to goat. Yes, goat! The produce department has some fruits/veggies I cannot even begin to pronounce but it's fun to try. My niece, who spent a summer in Malaysia, was overjoyed to find mangosteen again. Another cool section is the canned/jarred international items from all over the world, from pickled cabbage to dried peas. Their wine department is not huge but they have a nice assortment of wines, especially Australia (one of my favorites!).

But the place I have trouble with the most is the baked good area. Why? Because I want to eat it ALL! Freshly made ciabata bread, danish, New York-style bagels, even chocolate croissants. My favorite is the cranberry orange walnut bread. To die for! I have yet to explore the full hot bar buffet where you can pick up a delicious-looking lunch. But I plan to when I get a chance.

A few word of advice. Try going on a weekday to avoid the huge crowds that show up on weekends. You'll enjoy it much more and have room to roam. Take a sweater as it can get a little chilly. And be prepared to bring cash, that's all they take (although there's an ATM in there somewhere). I read recently they are planning on expanding it even more, which is hard to believe, but is an exciting prospect. So stop by and enjoy the bustling, crazy adventure that is YDFM.

Visited April 2012
1 Thank Peachyswan
Sultry South
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“'The' Place for Imported Foodstuffs”
Reviewed May 27, 2012

YDFM is simply FILLED with foods from around the globe. If you go, expect to find sections for exotic produce, meats, cheeses, candy, baked goods, spices, wines, etc. They even have an on-site eatery (where you might find items such as samosas, fried chicken, couscous, sambusa, curries, et al.) In the candy section, look for the curry cashews. Yum! I can vouch for the dried cherries and almond chocolate bar too. Yesterday I obtained rose bar made from all organic ingredients. The bakery section has an assortment of breads, muffins, cookies, and rolls. Be sure to pick up some injera and flakey danishes. Over in the produce section, you'll find durian, lychees, and all manner of other things such as stalks of sugar cane (which you can have juiced.) Being a vegan, I didn't explore the meat department. I did walk past it to get to another section of the market though and noticed octopus along the way. Speaking of vegan and vegetarian items, the market offers a wide selection options.
You never now what you might find browsing the shelves of the market. I'm happy they carry creme de marrons. It's a sweetened chestnut paste that I got hooked on in France. I've also purchased red bean buns, taro buns, champagne mustard, and lavender mustard here. Yesterday when I was here with a friend, he purchased 12 jars of the olive paste. Yup, it's that good. The store has just about any spice you can image. They also sell a plethora of fresh herbs.
If you go, keep in mind that the store accepts cash only. Picture taking is frowned on. Expect a crowd. Wear comfortable shoes. Get a shopping cart outside in the parking lot.

Visited May 2012