“Not just the best restaurant in Decatur...”

Cakes and Ale Restaurant and Bar
Ranked #18 of 380 Restaurants in Decatur
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: A "true foodie find" in Downtown Decatur, chef-owner Billy Allin's American "separates itself" from the usual culinary scene with "fresh", "vivacious" food that "epitomizes the farm-to-table movement", plus "unrivaled" cocktails in a refined, "unassuming" setting.
Reviewed May 6, 2014 via mobile

But also one of the very best in Atlanta. From the innovative cocktails to the just picked salad greens to the wood fired vegetables, every dish is thoughtfully assembled and beautifully prepared.

The fine writers at Bin Appetit have recognized this first class restaurant on more than one occasion for a reason.

I have eaten here many, many times and tried a variety of dishes, including the not to be missed gnocchi. Everything is excellent. Dine where knowledgeable locals go. You'll be delighted you did.

Reviewed April 26, 2014 via mobile

This place is great for after dinner coffee and dessert. The staff is attentive and the treats are delish. Coffee drinks take some time to make but they arrive perfectly frothy and warm. Prices are good. The side cafe area does have limited seating.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

My brother and I stopped by Cakes & Ale for a drink and some appetizers. We really enjoyed the appetizers and the atmosphere. We're really looking forward to going back and trying a full dinner!

Reviewed January 28, 2014

This is one of our favorite restaurants, hands down. The only reason I believe it doesn't merit 5 stars is that the chef is a little pretentious. However, my fiancé and I will gladly deal with his "holier than thou" attitude, as long as it is served with a side of bacon mayonnaise (genius).

Reviewed January 27, 2014

Wonderful food. Everything was very fresh!
Parking is a little bit of a challenge since there is no dedicated lot or valet. Street parking is limited but there is a deck near by. The space is quite small so I would definitely get reservations. The staff are great. We felt taken care of. A decanter of water is placed on the table and I think I only filled my glass of water once and I tend to drink a lot of water. The staff came buy often and made sure it stayed filled and took away our used items. It was cold and they offered to take our jackets for us so we did not have to keep them on our chairs. I felt like we were treated extremely well the entire night. Everyone was friendly but not too chatty to disrupt our meal.
The food was delicious. We decided to share everything so we could try more. First was the Arancini which I really enjoyed. A great little starter. Perhaps you won’t grave them later but they were very pleasant as something small to share and start with. We also ordered the Buratta salad which was good but a little light. It said it had country ham but I did not see any otherwise the plate was delicate and the vegetables were very fresh. The buratta cheese was very good. They had mushroom gnocchi as a special which we ordered and this was probably my favorite part of the meal. I could have ate the whole order myself easily it was so good. We also had the NC trout which was excellent. It comes as a whole fish but the waitress de boned it so if that intimidates you don’t let it. I think I found maybe one tiny bone in the meat when I was eating it. She did an excellent job. The fish was tasty and comes with a sauce that I barley used which is unlike me, but the fish itself particularly the skin is so tasty.
They do charge a dollar if you want bread which seems a little odd considering how much you are paying for everything else but he bread was fantastic and well worth it. I highly recommend an order of it. For dessert we got coffee which was good and the ginger molasses cake. We both loved the cake.
Overall we were very full and could have easily skipped dessert. I understand why they are consistently mentioned as one of the best restaurants in Atlanta. I can’t wait to go back and explore other parts of the menu.