“great view”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Dawsonville
Ocala, Florida
“great view”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

My wife and I have stayed at the lodge at Amicolala state park twice the fist time a couple of years ago. It is a beautiful area of North Georgia. The lodge has a great view of the mountains. The lodge is in need of a remodel but it is still a nice place to stay. One of the things we did not like about the first stay was not having a private balcony. They do have a few suites that have a private balcony for about $ 30 more so this last stay we opted for the main floor suite. The room was way to big BUT we had our own balcony and it was worth it. We ate dinner in the lodge it has a small menu of basic but good food. While we where there we hiked up to the Len Foot walk in lodge and back it is a very nice hike.
The lodge has wifi but only in public spaces

Room Tip: If a private balcony is important splurge for a suite
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Russell B
Cynthia S, General Manager at Amicalola Falls Lodge, responded to this review, March 30, 2015
So glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for the positive review. The renovations have been recently finished in the Lodge, so come see us again and enjoy the views and updated rooms and areas.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Spring Hill, Tennessee
Reviewed July 16, 2014

I was looking forward to my mini vacation. Heard great things from family whose stayed here. Upon arrival I discover they no longer offer free breakfasts. Then I entered my room. The room was awesome. Perfect view. A loft (though the ladder was crazy steep) the stinch was overwhelming. Smelled like bad Bo. Within an hour my poor mom had a headache and burning eyes. When we told the front desk they said they'd "make a note". No apology or seeing if we wanted a new room. Then came the discovery of a gross very dirty pillow case. It was covered, in what looked like, chocolate ice cream. Then on to the bathroom. 1/2 roll of toilet paper for 3 women. I'm sorry, but if you are preparing a room for new guests shouldn't you just think of leaving an extra roll? So we called and were told we had to come get it. Um...isn't that the job of the hotel? Then the walls are super thin because we all got to enjoy our neighbors being very kinky. Just what we wanted to hear. Gross! Then today we came back to find our room "clean" but still NO new tp or shampoo. We had to call and ask it to be brought up. Then we find a huge cockroach. So...needless to say everything has been bad.

• Stayed July 2014
6 Thank carey p
Cynthia S, General Manager at Amicalola Falls Lodge, responded to this review, September 7, 2014
I am very sorry that you were disappointed with your stay. Please contact me directly, so that we can discuss your experience. My direct line is 706-344-1542. I hope to hear from you soon, and hope to have you visit us again.
Clarksville, Maryland
Reviewed June 29, 2014

First, let me say that the location is amazing. The proximity to the false is unbeatable. The porches to sit and relax are perfect. The view from the rooms is unbelievable. The trail access is ideal for those of us who love hiking. Come here, for sure. It is a great experience.

They are planning a renovation later this summer, so the fact that the room are dated and less-than-ideal in terms of clean carpets and stuff...well, that should all be fixed soon. So, I look forward to them getting a 4 or 5 in this category very soon.

Service was spotty. In general, there was a general feeling of southern hospitality, which is good. On the other hand, there were glitches which show a lack of customer service orientation. One of my colleagues complained at 9am that his AC was leaking water all over his floor. By 9pm, they had not sent anyone to solve the problem. When he inquired at 10pm, they said that the maintenance person was busy trying to break up a fight and could not come. When he pointed out that he made the complaint at 9am, the front desk person said "Well, I was not here then...so I can not do anything about that."

When I inquired about arranging a day hike to Hike-Inn, I was met with indifference and near hostility. It was very strange. I was told that this was nearly impossible and strongly discouraged. I asked that they contact the Hike-Inn to advise them we were coming, and they said that that was hard to do and that I should just do it myself. I said we would like to stop for snacks and drinks and they said that it was unlikely that they had snacks, but they may be able to give us some water. We went anyway with a group of 10 people. We had a great time. We got there in 2.25 hours. Enjoyed tea, lemonade, and water and some great snacks. The person behind the desk there said that they WELCOME day hikers and love to have us. They said that they were shocked, but not surprised about the admonition we got about going, and that they had complained multiple times about that...to no avail. So, management at the Lodge should really work on this and advise staff to give more correct and useful advice. The trip is certainly not for everyone and a good idea at all times of year...but for an experienced hiker during the summer (with long days)...it is a great excursion.

One more thing...I went to the front desk to ask for something...and the person was typing away at her computer. As I approached, she started saying what she was typing out loud...in a way to suggest that I should not disturb her from her email. Another of my colleagues came up and she continued with her email...saying that she would be with us in a few minutes...that she had to finish her email. OK, no, you don't need to finish your email. You have two guests standing in front of you...the proper customer service thing to do is to stop and serve the clients...and then go back to your email. This is customer service 101. Sorry to have to say that.

Anyway, despite these glitches, everyone should come visit here for the venue. I think the new management is on a good vector toward making this place great. If they work on their customer service, this place is headed for a 5 out of 5. Best of luck!

Room Tip: Don't be dissuaded from doing a day hike up to Hike-Inn. It is rated as one of the top trails i...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
4 Thank SamiSay
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed June 28, 2014

Despite all of its issues, It is hard not to like the lodge.

On entry the atrium is bright, clean and attractive and the reception staff are helpful and friendly. But after that it all goes downhill.

The rooms have seen better days; cracked washbasins, damaged faucets, vintage huge cathode-ray TVs.....and with 1980s decor. Without big hair and shoulder pads I felt strangely out of place.

The restaurant is the only place to eat for miles around, and so does not try too hard. On our visit we had the distinct impression that two or three of the staff had worked as servers in other restaurants, while the rest had maybe been to another restaurant. Or driven past one. Or perhaps seen pictures. But we enjoyed the experience. The delay for drinks because "things were backed up" - when there were 12 other diners in a room for 150 - set an amusing tone for the evening, so we just abandoned ourselves to the experience.

We expected very average food, so the meal was only spoiled a little by the sticky table surfaces and the fact that the kitchen closed at 8:00pm. Bu the view was lovely.

But overall, this is an hotel for hikers. It is a friendly place. So don't expect more than a big indoor tent and you will not be disappointed.

PostScript. The lodge is about to be remodeled, so should improve.

Room Tip: All rooms have a view; but I hear there is a nice hotel in Dahlonega.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Daisy_ZB
Reviewed June 20, 2014 via mobile

None goes to the mountains to sit in a hotel room, But I was dissapointed to see peeling wall paper in our bathroom and a television older than my 9 year old daughter.

The lobby is really nice, however, and plans for a future renovation/makeover for the bedrooms is prominently displayed in the main lobby. The staff was always cheerful and helpful no matter the time of day. I gave my infant son a bottle in the middle of the night while sitting in a chair in the fourth floor lobby and it was amazingly pleasent, with a view of the surrounding mountains.

We ate several meals the Maple restaurant and were very pleased with the freshness and variety. There are breakfast and lunch and dinner menus with many nice options, as well as a kids menu.

Lots of families with varying age children as well as retired individuals and middle aged folks. Its a something for everyone destination.

We still definitely be returning, and how to see the updated room plans out into action sometime soon.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank bentherdnthat
Thank you for taking time to review our Lodge. The renovations in the Lodge are finished. The rooms have been updated with new furnishings and paint, etc. We hope you will come and see all that we have done and enjoy the beautiful North Georgia Mountains again.
Jefferson, Georgia
Reviewed June 16, 2014

I love this place. Lots of walking trails, beautiful falls, great place if you love being outdoors. The rooms are a little dated, but since we spend most of our time outside, it really was not an issue for us. The buffet is pretty good.....we ended up going back the next year and held our wedding reception there. The staff is very friendly, we have been several times and plan on going back again.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the back side of the top floor for a great view :)
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review and staying with us so often. We have recently finished our renovations of the Lodge and hope you will return and see them and enjoy our hospitality once again.
Mount Dora, Florida
Reviewed June 6, 2014

My husband purchased a Groupon certificate for this hotel before I read the TA reviews. I was expecting a dump, but was pleasantly surprised. We made a couple of errors regarding our arrival. I knew, based on the reviews, that there were no services near the hotel and planned to stop and have dinner in Dawsonville. We programmed the GPS accordingly. We ended up on a dirt road, and then there was a tree across the dirt road. My husband eventually just used "the force" to find the hotel, but we came no where close to Dawsonville. Thus we arrived at 9:30pm grumpy and hungry. The cobblestone walk is uneven, and I fell taking my suitcase in. It was not an auspicious beginning.

Fortunately there is a gift shop well-stocked with snack food, and the check-in clerk could not have been more charming or more efficient. After a dinner of peanut butter crackers we fell asleep in very comfortable beds. My only complaint about the beds were the sheets. They did not fit the beds. I pulled to whole bed apart, and made it again, and there just was not enough sheet to tuck under the mattress. I fought the sheets every night. The pillows were also uncomfortable, but no more so than any other hotel pillow.

We ordered breakfast from the menu the following morning, and enjoyed an average plate of bacon and eggs while looking out the wide windows on breath-taking scenery. We had done little advanced planning, and the day crew were not helpful in suggesting places we could do or things we might enjoy. In spite of lack of direction we took off for the day and had a pleasant experience.

Overall I found the lodge relatively nice. The public areas are fine, very typical to what I experience in the Intermountain West. The rooms are a bit dated, but nothing is falling apart. There was no peeling paint or wall paper. The TV was not a flat screen HD TV, but who goes to the mountains to watch TV? It was fine for the morning news and weather report. The floors were fine. The room was clean. The towels were not exceptionally skimpy.

The night clerk is exceptionally personable. She knows her way around the entire system, and she is exceptionally efficient. The rest of the hotel staff, and certainly everyone in the restaurant seemed to all be working their first day on the job. They acted bewildered and confused about simple questions such as locating ice or getting a cup of coffee.

We had one incident with the toilet. At 11pm, when we were ready to go to bed, the toilet stopped flushing and would not fill with water. We called the receptionist and she and a service person were in our room in minutes. I was dreading having to dress, pack and move rooms. I do not know what the two of them did, but they filled the toilet and it continued to work for the duration of our stay.

There is no wi-fi in the room, which is really amazing in 2014, but there is access from the lobby, and the magnificent views from the huge windows made a visit to the lobby a pleasure rather than an inconvenience.

These were small problems that did not impact our enjoyment of Amicalola Falls Park in the least. The view from our window more than compensated for the minor problems we experienced in the hotel.

For the price that we paid, this hotel was absolutely fantastic. I would certainly return for similar rates.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Busy-retired
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dawsonville
Forrest Hills Mountain Resort and Conference Center
#2 of 4 in Dawsonville
Comfort Inn & Suites Blue Ridge
Best Western Mountain View Inn
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Jasper

Been to Amicalola Falls Lodge? Share your experiences!