“Some things lacking but will return”

Amicalola Falls Lodge
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Dawsonville
Sugar Land, TX
“Some things lacking but will return”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

I understand a renovation is coming up, and it is needed. We rented a junior suite, which was nice and clean and reasonably kept, though aging. We did not get maid service even though we left a sign on the door requesting it. Still though, we love this place and have hopes that the lodge will be better in the future.

Room Tip: If you want a higher end room, try the Junior Suite.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Cynthia S, General Manager at Amicalola Falls Lodge, responded to this review, December 15, 2013
Thanks for taking time to share your experience, and I am glad you enjoyed your visit to the park. I apologize that we failed to deliver service to your room, and I will be looking at our system and making changes as necessary to address that concern. I am excited to be the new general manager here and we will be focusing on delivering excellence in every area. We look forward to having you visit us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
DeWitt, Michigan
Reviewed November 20, 2013

We enjoyed our stay despite the fact that the lodge was in the clouds during our overnight stay. Somehow, we got a very nice corner suite that would have been spectacular. Dinner and breakfast were quite good served buffet style. Staff was particularly helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: I understand that the facility will get a major upgrade soon. The walk to the falls was quite spect...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
I’m delighted you have a good visit. I appreciate your kind works and will look forward to having you stay with us again in the future- Hopefully without the clouds.
Atanta, GA
Reviewed November 17, 2013

I just returned from staying at the lodge for 3 nights. The exterior is quite modern and up-to-date but once I entered my room I was shocked! The wall paper was peeling, the appointments were very worn out and the bathroom ceiling was COVERED in black mold. The mattress boxsprings had stains on the sides that looked as if someone may have been sick in bed.

The area is amazing and the staff was pleasant but the hotel is beat and should have been updated at least 10 years ago.

VERY disappointed.

Room Tip: DON'T stay here until they update their rooms.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank TraveLoggin
I regret that the lodge rooms fell short of your expectations, and I am glad that you enjoyed your time in the park. We are a state park and facility and are very excited that monies for extensive renovations have been approved, and will begin over the coming months. I am the new general manager and I am excited to be here. I appreciate your feedback and I look forward to having you stay with us again in the future.
McDonough, Georgia, United States
Reviewed November 15, 2013

After 10 yrs of visting this Lodge, this trip was very disappointing. The first time staying ing in the Executive Suite(WHAT A JOKE), the description of the room on the web site REALLY NEEDS UPDATING. Brought food to cook, NO COOK TOP, the room was way outdated, rather have stayed in the JR. Suite, lots of stains on walls, curtains, the garden tub was in terrible shape, an elder people could not even get in that tub, hard for us and we are in good health,For $436.00 for 3 nights, i demand more for my money, and that price was even with our Senior Discount, NO MORE BREAKFAST COUPONS, THAT SINKS!!!! Buffett was ok, but was way OVERPRICED, especially for SENIORS, and the Buffett should include YOUR DRINK. The weather was breezy and cold, NO FIREPLACE WAS EVEN ON!! WHAT THE HECK!!! The staff was friendly, but only wanted to blame everything on the NEW MANAGEMENT AND THE RENOVATIONS TO COME. THE ONLY BRIGHT SPOT ON THIS TRIP WAS THE BEAUTIFUL VIEWS.
MANAGEMENT!!!!!!!
PLEASE DO NOT LET THIS LODGE GO DOWN HILL!!!!!

3 Thank dkstalvey
Hello, my name is Cynthia, and I am the new general manager for the Amicalola Falls Lodge and State Park. I am so excited to join Lori and her team here and I have enjoyed the falls personally for many years. I share your passion for saving this beautiful asset. We appreciate your feedback and we are working diligently to assure that the facilities will be here for everyone to enjoy for many years to come. I appreciate our returning guest and I do hope that you will stop and introduce yourself on a future visit to Amicalola.
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Reviewed November 10, 2013

LIke most people say.. OK, Average at best.. bit pricey for dated rooms. Exeterior and interior in major need of updating and renovations. Peeling paint, rotten wood, mold mildew, broken tiles inside and out. Buffet ok but overpriced.. Great scenery, location, hikes and water fall. I'd say at $85 or less per nite it is worth it, but more than that you are getting hosed. I'd recommend a day trip and stay some place else in Ellijay, Canton, Dawsonville, Dahlonega, Helen, or perhaps, Blue Ridge. Good NOTE: Owl/Raptor show was very informative and enjoyable for kids, but perhaps a bit Too long. IMAO.. Enjoy and please pick up and do not litter.. Thanks !!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank tedman007
Cynthia S, General Manager at Amicalola Falls Lodge, responded to this review, March 30, 2015
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. The Lodge and cabins have been recently renovated, so we hope you will come and enjoy the changes.
Pensacola, Florida
Reviewed November 9, 2013

I can only reiterate what others have said about the lodge. We stayed there last week for two nights. First let me say what is good about it. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The lodge and the room were clean, and the views overlooking the valley were quite lovely. Here are the problems. The lodge is at least 15 miles from the next town, so unless you bring your own food, you are limited to the mediocre buffets for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. There is no place to get a light meal, such as sandwiches, salads, etc. Our stay for two days was around $350, and I can tell you,the room wasn't half as good as the $50 rooms we had in the rest of northern Georgia. There were two holes in the table next to the bed. There was no microwave, no refrigerator, no closet-just a wooden box with a rod to hang clothes. And there was no internet. Lots of apologies and promises of renovations at the front desk, but we spent two days without being able to use our laptop to do research for our travel. The park is great, but I wouldn't recommend that you stay at the Lodge. Stay in nearby Dahlonega, which is a nice artsy little town with all of the amenities.

4 Thank Cassie503
Altamonte Springs, Florida
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Where to begin? Most of the food sucks, but I covered that in my review of the restaurant. The lodge looks great from afar, and it provides great views, but upon closer examination, you'll see problems everywhere. There is a nice back patio with views of the valley. Unfortunately, a lot of the paint on the columns is pealing off. It doesn't look good. The floor was composed of slate tiles, many of which were cracked. In one spot, the tile was just missing entirely. That can be a walking hazard. I can't imagine a wedding or reception being held on the patio considering the shape it is in.

On the inside, the lobby does look nice. There is a nice view of the countryside from the hotel atrium. The fireplace was not on, even though it probably should have been (I don't know if it was broken or not, but considering everything else, it probably was). We had a great view from inside our room. Most of the rooms face towards the valley. We had a room with double beds. But now we saw issues. Stain spots on the walls. Stain drips on the walls. Stains on the bedspread. House keeping didn't even bother to vacuum the room. Over the next few days, house keeping STILL didn't vacuum! The cloth chairs had holes in them, and you could see the internal stuffing showing. There was medicine left in the drawers from the previous guest. No mini-fridge or microwave. A big cathode ray tube TV. I thought all hotels had replaced those old TV's with flat screens. Not the Amicolola Falls Lodge! (Oddly enough, there IS a flat screen TV for the public in the downstairs lobby.) There was a bench in the room that was really just a rectangular box. It was wasted space. The inside could of been used for storage, or it could have had small shelves on the side. There just wasn't a lot of storage space available, and yet there could have been more than there was. The bed was too soft, as if it had been the same mattress used since 1980. At least the pillowcase and the sheets didn't were stain free. Until house keeping came in....and replaced the pillowcase with one that had three spot stains on it!! How is that pillowcase still being used?? The bathroom had a weird smell. To me, it smelled as if the previous guests smoked in the bathroom, even though there was no smoking allowed in the hotel. I only have one allergy: cigarette smoke. Over the next few days, my nose was runny or clogged, and I only sneezed in the room. This confirmed for me that someone had smoked in the room. The bathroom must have had a leak previously, as you could see where the repairs were made and it was painted over. The bathroom fan didn't work, so it stayed humid. With the bathroom humid, there was mildew on the walls. Not in the seams or corners (which isn't uncommon), but ON THE WALLS! The toilet tank had an internal problem, because every 10 minutes it would kick in refilling itself. The sink had a handle that was so large it extended half way over the sink! I've never seen a sink knob so long like that in a hotel. I tried to connect to the internet without success. The front desk told me it was down. But after talking to a fellow vacationer, I found out that the staff had use of the internet for their internal system. The fact that those who stayed at the hotel didn't have internet access was related to the wireless router. And while they kept saying it was going to be fixed, it never was during my stay. Having a business center might have solved that problem. Oh wait, they don't have that either.

The bright spots? The desk staff were always nice. The gift shop was nice. Waking up with such a great view was nice. But I should have read the reviews on the lodge before coming here. Never in my wildest dreams did I think it would be this bad. At least there were no bugs in the room.

Lori, the manager of the lodge, has made several comments to previous posts. As far back as March of 2013, she mentioned upcoming renovations. If you know your lodge isn't up to standards, why don't you tell people this? Why don't you reduce your rates? How can you offer a substandard room for a standard price? Would you pay full price for a used car? I can understand holding off on some capital expenses because of the upcoming renovations. One of the new things I hope you buy are cigarette smoke detectors. They exist. And charge guests even more for smoking in the rooms. In post responses, Lori says she cares. But what has she done to improve the cleaning at least? How are upcoming renovations any excuse for the lack of vacuuming or cleaning the mildew off the walls? Do budget constraints prevent you from hiring more people? Then get some of your current staff (or you yourself) involved with the cleaning. I can't imagine that the lodge can't afford a few bucks for some Clorox bathroom spray. Same goes for the stains on the pillowcases. Buy a new pillowcase. I've read the reviews on the cabins, and cleaning seems to be an issue there as well. Since there are some easy fixes for cleaning, the lack of cleaning in the rooms comes down to only one thing: laziness. That's usually there because people just don't care.

Room Tip: Stay at the Comfort Inn in Dawsonville. It will provide you with better rooms for a better price. Th...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Maketrax
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dawsonville
Forrest Hills Mountain Resort and Conference Center
Days Inn Dahlonega
#3 of 8 in Dahlonega
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Jasper
BEST WESTERN Mountain View Inn

Been to Amicalola Falls Lodge? Share your experiences!