“Your first choice at Amicalola”

Amicalola Falls Lodge
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Dawsonville
Decatur, Georgia
“Your first choice at Amicalola”
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Very beautiful lodge. The staff went out of their way in every way. I also liked working with the park rangers. The restaurant staff couldn't be better. I left an item in my room and they mailed it out the same day that I called.

The view in the lobby of the lodge is spectacular, particularly in the fall. Someone mentioned that there were bugs in the lodge but I didn't see any in any of my visits.

The wi-fi could have been better but I was there to relax, not surf the internet

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Atlantic Beach, Florida
Reviewed August 24, 2012

This is one of the best kept secrets in the US. The view is breath taking. The hikes are exceptional. The cost, including breakfast, is very affordable. We’ve stayed there twice this year, 2 nights the end of April and 2 nights the end of July. I recommend the end of April for better temperatures. The Hike to the falls is very easy. From the lodge it is less than a mile. They also have a number of long hikes. I recommend the 5 mile hike to Hike Inn.
The rooms, furniture and beds of showing their age but still comfortable. All in all great value for your money and a great adventure.

Room Tip: Ask for a suite with a balcony
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank imcglo12
Bradenton, Florida
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Horrible disgusting experience in the cottage. Having left a beautiful property off vrbo for $25 less a night we were bombarded with the stench of the cottage. The cottage was very old with slightly newer furnishings. There were spider webs in the shower's corner and mold (no doubt the source of the smell) on the ceiling in one bedroom. It gave new meaning to rustic. I inquired about a room at the lodge costing a bit more but did not have a way to keep the groceries I had purchased cold. On our second morning, I awoke to 11 bites on my torso. I feared bedbugs but my daughter who shared the bed with me had zero bites. Later in the day,I found a rather large spider residing the the room with me, likely the source of my bites. I quickly then packed up and went to the lodge. The staff was very sympathetic and accomodating. The new room was smelled much better and was given a fridge, albeit dirty, to hold the last of my food. Additionally, the visitors center gave us bad information on a trail head access an hour away. When we arrived at the trail head it was closed for parking lot repairs. Our choice was a mile longer trail or another hour road trip. The visitors center should have known the us forest service had the facility closed. This was an extraordinary disappointment.

Room Tip: I was told the cottages would be updated in January 2013. We switched to a Loft room, which was ok...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Lisa M
Milton WV
Reviewed August 6, 2012

With my husband's goal of hiking the Appalation Trail, you have to start at the beginning. That means Springer Mountain in Georgia. Amicalola Fall State Park and Lodge is the nearest place, and it does just fine. The views are unparallaled (we watched in awe a storm come up, over and pass us from the room window-amazing), and it's the best location to get an early start to the Springer Mountain hike-in. The restaurant there was more than servicable, with tasty buffet breakfast and dinner. The room was clean.
The beds could use new mattresses, and the decor is a bit dated. I wasn't expecting a resort experience. The prices were a little on the higher side, but the staff was great. The gift shop was a bit lacking. Overall, we were very happy with the accomodations.

Room Tip: Book early-we only had choice of rooms with double beds-we would have been happier with a queen or l...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lspdoll
Florida
Reviewed July 24, 2012

The Staff are fantastic and exceptionally friendly and helpful in every way. The public areas of the lodge are lovely and well decorated. The rooms are average, and a bit on the shabby side for the price we paid. On arrival we were told the room we had reserved (with a loft) was "not usable" and our replacement room (the only room they claim was left) was suffering a plumbing problem.... the Tub/Shower faucet was not able to be turned off, and there was a Stream of water coming from it, not just a drip drip drip. Luckily there was a door between the bath & the room, so we could sleep. The staff was kind enough to offer us a complementary dinner for the inconvenience, and we accepted the room as we were only there one night. The only alternative would have been to go looking for a room elsewhere. The staff said they attempted to call us for hours, but I never received any calls. The window mechanisms were so corroded the windows did not open, but that turned out to be a blessing once the rooms were filled with guests. When everyone turned on their ac units at night, it sounded like an airplane was landing outside our window. The Breakfast buffet included in the room price was actually a full breakfast menu including waffles, eggs, meats, fruit, yogurt, juices, cereals, breads.....the works.

The mountain view from the room was excellent, and the staff are wonderful. Other motels in the area are also quite pricey and also get pretty bad reviews, so I guess it's a trade off to be in a lovely, secluded lodge rather than some dreadful roadside motel. Given the alternatives in this price point, I would still recommend this property to anyone visiting Amicalola Falls for a one night stay.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view, otherwise what's the point of staying here?
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
Reviewed July 18, 2012 via mobile

I can't say it any better than "dustglittervapor" did in their 6/14/12 review. We stayed in the executive suite and it felt more like a downgrade rather than upgrade. I've stayed in their regular rooms before but none are in disrepair like the executive suite. To add to the issues that dustglittervapor pointed out, the sinks were impossible to control the water temperature and the tiles on the tub surface are literally separated. You can pick them up with no effort. No glue no nothing. And the tub is disgustingly stained with mold. Again, this isn't the staffs fault, it's the state of Georgia who refuses to fund these tourist havens. Even though I read the review here before I left I never imagined how accurate it really was. And for those like me who think rollaways are available in lieu of the insleepable sofa bed, think again. There are no roll always options here. Thank you Georgia. This is not how I imagined having you "on my mind."

• Stayed July 2012
Dallas, Georgia
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Our family of 5 stayed in one of the cabins here in April.The cabin was cozy,the falls are beautiful,and the staff very courtious.The beds are comfortable and the fire outside relaxing.The price is good as well.The only complaints we had were for some reason some of the cable channels would not come in,and their appeared to be some mildew on the tiled shower floor,and you need to go elsewhere to trout fish,Suches is a good spot from what we've heard.Walking the trails is fun as parts were easy for our children to walk along.Would recomend this as a good weekend get away for couples and families.Don't know about honeymoons though.Will be back.

Room Tip: The smaller cabins are at the bottom of the falls close to the phone playground and stream with a fi...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dawsonville
Forrest Hills Mountain Resort and Conference Center
Reid Ridge Lodge
#1 of 5 in Blue Ridge
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Jasper
Best Western Mountain View Inn

Been to Amicalola Falls Lodge? Share your experiences!