“I Would Go Again and Again” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Amicalola Falls Lodge

Amicalola Falls Lodge
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Dawsonville
USA
“I Would Go Again and Again”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2011

Pros: The beds were very comfortable, the room was clean, plenty of TV channels, and the shower was great. The view from the room is one of the most amazing I've ever seen. All the rooms are on that side of the lodge, so you will always get a view. There is also a balcony with seating off that side where we sat and watched the beautiful sunset in the mountain vista.

Cons: Only two free breakfast passes were given for a family of four. That means only two of us can eat because the breakfast buffet was expensive.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank RoapTripper3081

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2011

We visit the area every few years for a family reunion. My relatives live in Dahlonega. In the past we stayed at another lodging establishment but this year we decided to try something new. What a blessing!!

The view from Amicalola lodge is spectacular. The service is good and the people are really friendly. The restaurant is to the best part - as it overlooks the top of the mountains and you can see for miles. The food was good and the service was five-star. We had Denise as our server and she was magical. Dinner was so good, we went back the second night, but unfortunately Denise was not there but the service was still good.

My wife and I highly recommend this place. We never expected a State Park Lodge to be this good

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank fritz_travels
Athens, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2011

This is an underrated jewel of a State Lodge. From it you can see Atlanta's skyline and walk to the source of the falls, just a few feet away. It is located in the heart of the Georgia mountains and many nice attractions are easily reachable. We have stayed there many times, and actually, winter, or the Christmas holiday is a nice time to come, no one is there and you have the peace and solitude of the winter in the mountains. The restaurant and gift store are very good.

Room Tip: They are all good.
  • Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank terryLCO
Annapolis, Maryland, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2011

My wife and I stayed here with another couple in December. There was a bit of snow on the ground, but not as much as in the mountains of North Carolina. The main attraction for us was that the hiking trails were close to the lodge, so there was no need to drive or hike along the roadside to get to the trailheads.

The hotel itself was nothing spectacular. The outside looking somewhat palatial, but the room was more like your typical cheap motel. There was, however, plenty of space for conferences or celebrations. I couldn't sleep one night, so I left the room with my pillow, laid down on a big couch in one in one of the side rooms downstairs, and watched TV while the rest of my group slept. No one bothered me at all for an hour or two. It was nice. Felt a bit like home. I remember the restaurant being a bit overpriced as well. The food was just ok, but it was certainly convenient to have breakfast and dinner without driving down the mountain.

Overall, the lodge was great, more in terms of convenience than luxury. We had a wonderful time exploring the nearby trails. If you are an amateur hiker like us, then you will enjoy the moderate trails on site and maybe even try a bit of the Appalachian Trail as well!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Christopher B
Decatur, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2011

we camped here for 3 nights in a pop up, the campground was nice, hiking trails were great. The waterfall is absolutely beautiful. The bath house at the campground is in pretty bad condition, the shower drains were clogged, no TP and no one cleaned it or restocked the hand washing soap the entire time we were there. I complained to one of the rangers on our way out and he said the camp host was supposed to be taking care of it. He said that there were plans to update the bath house this fall. The breakfast at the lodge is a great deal, esp if you have small children, they have a great breakfast bar and a do it yourself waffle maker. Great way to start the day. I took my 4 year old to see the birds show in the lobby of the hotel. That was great as well. Would have given this place 5 stars but for the bath house. We will go back.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank MaggieMae2010
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2011

My wife and I wanted to stay in the Georgia mountains, and we have always loved this State Park. We rented a "loft" room as I thought it would be interesting and offer better views of the mountain.
The check in was efficient and the staff are very friendly. Oue room was at the top floor and had an excellent view.
Unfortunatley, the loft is very high in the room and the steel stairs are very steep. I would not call them "kid safe". Also, the air conditioning system is on the widow and all the hot air goes right to the unvented loft. It was easily 10-15 degrees hotter. Good in the winter, not so much in April.
The room included free dinner at the lodge which was your basic cafeteria style. Not great, but not bad.
After two days we asked if we could tranfer to one of their creekside cabins and the staff was able to make the change without any fuss. We spent the next two days in a wonderful cabin. We promptly stocked the fridge and prepared our own meals.
In all, both the cabins and rooms at the Lodge are a great value in a beautiful environment. If you have the time, I would try both accomodations as the Lodge is up on top of the mountain and some of the cabins are at the bottom. In this way, you can explore the whole park.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
Birmingham, Alabama
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2011

I'm a minister and was looking for a secluded place to catch up on some reading and to have some time with God. The falls are stunning and the view from the lodge is breathtaking. It was a perfect spot for prayer and relaxation. The room itself was VERY basic. Although clean, the room needed major updating. The price I paid did not reflect the type of room I stayed in. The restaurant on site (The Maple Room) was overpriced and not very good at all. I felt like I was eating left overs and the chef put together the buffet based on what he had in the fridge. There was no theme to the food and the variety did not match the price ($15). One night I had broiled fish and refried beans on the buffet! Not good and certainly not two things I would put together. The staff was very friendly and efficient in their duties. You almost feel "stuck" at the restaurant if you don't feel like traveling off the mountain into Dawsonville or Dahlonega for a meal. The breakfast buffet, which is complementary with your room, was actually very nice, with a large variety.

The lodge was very quiet during the weekdays, but became very noisy once the weekend rolled around.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Location
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank DawsonMemorial
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dawsonville
Forrest Hills Mountain Resort and Conference Center
Reid Ridge Lodge
Reid Ridge Lodge
#1 of 5 in Blue Ridge
BEST WESTERN Mountain View Inn

Been to Amicalola Falls Lodge? Share your experiences!