“My happy place”
Review of Len Foote Hike Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dawsonville
Len Foote Hike Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Dawsonville B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 19, 2012

This inn is beautiful, the staff are wonderful, and the facility is ultra-sustainable! It's a wonderful place to take a hike-acation or spend a few relaxing days. I never pass up the chance to go here, and it's definitely a place that all should go to. If you love the outdoors, you'll love the Hike Inn. And if you don't yet love the outdoors, the Hike Inn just might be the place to change your mind. I've been here with friends and family and all who have gone have love it too.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed August 14, 2012

Hard to put this under the "hotel" category in TripAdvisor because it was so much more than just a hotel! The 5 mile hike was great - beautiful trees and good trail. The rooms were small and plain, and we made our bunks with the linens they gave us - it was like summer camp! The attention to detail and conservation were excellent. We packed everything in and out (no trash cans in the rooms or bathrooms). Composting toilets. Timers on the lights in the bathhouse. In the cafeteria everyone put names on their drinking glasses & mugs so they would be reused. The food we left on our plates was weighed after the meal to encourage folks to take only as much as they would eat. And the food was delicious! It was served family style and it was fun to get to know the other folks at the table. The staff gave a tour of the Hike Inn before dinner and explained a little history of the place, plus the solar panels, composting system, etc. Don't miss the morning sunrise - it is beautiful. Do this trip if you can! We only stayed one night, but if we did it again I would want to stay 2 nights.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Njoytravl
Reviewed August 6, 2012

A great way to educate my gradson on conservation. The 5 mile hike up was fun, not too strenous. My 10 year old grandson loved the hike and didn't complain at all on the way up. The trees are beautiful and the map gives you some great information to discuss. The accommodation is basic, bunk beds and communal ablutions but for a 10 year old he was in heaven. The tour of how the composting toilets work and the solar panels etc, was just great for a little boy. Then the games in the common room were just a perfect way to spend the evening. It was wonderful to spend the time free of electronic gadgets and TV. We went last summer and I am just now getting around to the review - but my grandson still talks about our night at Len Foote. Take the kids for a real memory making experience.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 23, 2012

What beauty! Nature was demonstrating its best behavior when we were there. Thousands of shades of green surrounded the browns of tree trunks and rocks. I honestly doubted my ability to hike 5 miles of mountainous terrain, but I did it! Also 14 miles the next day and then 5 more miles back to the car. That sense of accomplishment is priceless. If you have ever thought about going - GO! I saw a black bear, scads of spiders, a red fox, bullfrogs, and absolutely no snakes (darn). I was able to complete the journey due to the support of my husband and kids, the friendly staff, the home cooked meals (JP makes the best vegies!), and the comraderie of fellow hikers. For entertainment there was even a bluegrass band one evening - The Barker Brothers. My only complaint would be the difficulty sleeping with my husband on a bunk bed. But, it was only 2 nights out of 17 years.

Go for 2 nights, rely on your inner self to conquer your personal mountains as you conquer the approach to the Appalachian Trail. You won't regret it one iota!

Room Tip: Get a room on the west side - away from the crowds, facing the woods.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank drjpepper64
Reviewed June 4, 2012

Just back from a one night stay at Len Foote Hike Inn. It was fantastic!! The 5 mile hike was fun, nothing to strenuous. The Staff was friendly and helpful. The setting...beautiful. Try it, you will be glad you did!!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Kristy D
Reviewed May 31, 2012

If you love wilderness experiences, but you have special food needs (gluten free, egg free, vegetarian, no peanuts, etc.) and having someone else control your food is disconcerting, put your mind at ease. Eric, who plans the meals, is extremely kind and loves to accommodate for people who need it.

I did not alert the staff to my gluten free diet before going. (Not sure why - I guess I thought I could just make do for a few days.) When Eric found out why I was skipping the dinner rolls and desserts, he said "What? Why didn't you tell us? Come with me..." He took me into the pantry and let me pick from his stash of GF breads and goodies he keeps in the freezer. I ended up regretting that I had packed all those Lara bars because I didn't need them at all. In fact, he said if I had called ahead he would have made me a special cheesecake. Boy, I'll never make that mistake again.

I enjoyed: gluten free peach spoon bread (Eric's own recipe) at breakfast, gluten free vegetarian hummus sandwich at lunch with hummus made from scratch, gluten free pumpkin cake (also Eric's recipe) for dessert. Their Amicalicious cookies have oats, but no flour.

The staff is so kind and truly takes joy and pride in making sure that as many people come enjoy the Inn as fully as possible, so if you are unsure, have any questions, call ahead and ask all your questions. They won't mind one bit.

******This is not a guarantee that anyone with SEVERE allergies - those of you who travel with epi pin or can bear no cross contamination of wheat will be safe. The kitchen is immaculately kept and the staff does its best to avoid cross contamination, but it is an open kitchen where wheat products are prepared every day. Bottom line - call and ask if you are unsure, they are honest, helfpul, and knowledge-able

Room Tip: Rooms facing the entrance of the inn avoid the occasional wafting in of composting toilet smell. It...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Carol C
Reviewed May 15, 2012

Out of the ordinary with a 5 mile hike in and out to a natural setting with a staff that leaves a small impact on nature by recycling nearly everything. It is such a unique experience. If you love nature and the outdoors this is the best of the best. Tent views without the tent and great home cooking!

• Stayed: August 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dawsonville
Amicalola Falls Lodge
#4 of 4 in Dawsonville
Dawson Village Inn
Dawson Village Inn
#3 of 4 in Dawsonville

Been to Len Foote Hike Inn? Share your experiences!