“Excellent ”

Big D's BBQ
Ranked #1 of 73 Restaurants in Dawsonville
Cuisines: American
Reviewed January 29, 2014 via mobile

Staff was wonderful and the food was even better simply the best BBQ I have had in a while. Everyone in my party enjoyed their food.

Reviewed January 20, 2014

Well, well, well. I've been driving past this restaurant for the past six years, and because it's attached to a gas station my wife and I had never eaten there before. (Duh! It's a barbeque, joint, dummy, it's SUPPOSED to be a dump on the outside... right?)

So last Saturday night about six pm for some reason I decided to give it a try, and asked my wife if she's mind trying out a new place. Glad we did. We both got the chicken plate-- and we both different side items.

Service was immediate (we walked up and placed the order), and we had a friendly chat with the folks in the kitchen, who saw the "South Dakota" on my jacket and struck up a conversation. In no time at all we had our food, and sat down to a reallllly nice meal. The chicken was nicely smoked, flavorful but still moist. My two sides were cole slaw and baked beans-- my wife had the green beans and the mac & cheese. We judge a barbeque joint on the sides just as much as the 'que-- and they didn't let us down.

My two sides were great-- as were my wife's. We swapped a taste of each other's just to make sure... yummy. Everything was flavorful and tasked fresh.

They had three sauces- Carolina vinegar (I never have learned to like that nasty stuff), a sweet barbeque sauce, and a tangy mustardy sauce. I tried #2 and #3, liked them both-- liked #3 good enough to finish off the meal with it. Yum.

Any complaints? Well... I don't like plain soft white bread, but most folks do. Where I'm from, we get thick Texas toast with garlic and butter... but no complaints about the white bread that came with my meal. Fresh and tasty. No complaints about the price, either-- nor the atmosphere.

Definitely a bit of a Carolina barbeque kind of twist, but I ain't complaining.

We're definitely going to eat here again... and again.

1  Thank Ross S
Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

Well, it's attached to a gas station, so you might not expect any different. The pork and brisket are solid. Hush puppies are good. Their brat was outstanding. Other sides were ok. Their spiciest sauce is a Memphis style that has no heat, so if you like it spicy you need to mix up your own. The wait for food was long. Staff is friendly but not in any hurry. Small indoor eating area is not comfortable. Worth a visit though.

Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

The BBQ is great. The service is just mediocre. The service is more order oriented and people hide behind the cash register and cook counter. However, hands down, the best BBQ from a gas station I've ever had. Try the Brownie Sandwich - you won't be disappointed.

Reviewed December 13, 2013 via mobile

The BBQ was okay. The sides are nothing special. The portions were adequate, but not large. Not a lot of options nearby unless you drive into Cumming.