“I'd love to stay here but my wife just won't have it!”

Amicalola Falls State Park
Ranked #1 of 20 things to do in Dawsonville
More attraction details
Owner description: Home to more than 1,500 acres of mountainous terrain and the highest waterfall east of the Mississippi River.
Orlando, Florida
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“I'd love to stay here but my wife just won't have it!”
Reviewed January 24, 2014

I've only visited the park in winter time so I doubt that I've seen the best of the park. What I love however, is the waterfall and the walk down to it. The first time I was there, I had my boys and my brother with me. The men were all adventurous and we had a blast walking around the lake, down to the waterfall and goofing off. We were rewarded by snow.
This trip, we had wives and my son's girlfriend and none of the ladies wanted to get cold. Since we couldn't see the waterfall from the road, they (and I) were cheated out of the experience.
I'm also interested in staying in a cabin here but my wife's idea of roughing it is the fold out bed at Embassy Suites. (How did this become such a first world problem?)

1 Thank Media_Monkey_Chris

Bismarck, North Dakota
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Gorgeous Views and a Great Hike”
Reviewed January 19, 2014

Loved this hike and waterfall. There are lots of stairs but plenty of landings for you to stop and catch your breath on. The views were wonderful. There is a lodge at the top of the falls, that we stopped at to warm up and get a couple souvenirs. We would definitely visit again. * I recommend hiking up the stairs and down the trail on the way out.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Shelly W
Albany, Georgia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Stunning Georgia Waterfall!”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Breathtaking waterfall! A must see in Ga! The climb to the top wasn't too bad...good exercise. We stopped in at the Lodge at the top to cozy up by the fireplace before hiking back down. Our day trip to Amicalola was well worth the trip! The staff at the lodge and at the welcoming center were very friendly! We will be back again.

Atlanta
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Beautiful Waterfall and Park”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

The drive from Atlanta to Amicalola Falls was complete spontaneity. A quick hour and half drive away and we arrived just before the fall of the last leaf. The directions to the lodge were pretty straight forward and easy to find, however I experienced a lot of anxiety as we drove up the mountain side. I suggest having a bottle of water to ease what I learned to be, elevation sickness. Midway up the mountain there is a place where you are able to pull off to the side and take in the view. (Photo Attached) Once we arrived at the Amicalola Park, it was a two hours before sunset and the perfect time to head to the water fall. Parking was $5 per car and paid once you enter the park. There are several routes once inside the park, each with designated parking (no additional cost). As with any water fall in North America it can get rather cold and windy so a light sweater or jacket would be ideal. Amicalola has over 400+ stairs for you to walk down the side of the waterfall, it's an interesting yet easy walk down. Pace yourself going up, I mentioned elevation sickness before, most accidents are reported going up the stairs rather than down. The view was amazing and while the trees reminded me that I was still in Georgia, the view was impeccable and the perfect getaway. The park also features lodges (not to be confused with cabins) these lodges look very similar to the way the sound....Boring! There is not much of a view from any of the lodges that I noticed on the property and it seems more like you're on a school trip to rock eagle. Over all the park was nice and I will be returning for a day trip in the spring.

Plantation, Florida, United States
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Great place to visit!”
Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

Loved visiting this place!! The falls are beautiful, and the hiking was great!!! My kids (ages 6 and 10) really enjoyed the hiking too.