“Impromptu Trip - worth it”

The Maple Restaurant at Amicalola Falls State Park
Ranked #9 of 78 Restaurants in Dawsonville
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Buffet, Reservations
Description: The Maple Restaurant offers breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day of the week. Our American menu highlights some key specialties from the South while offering fair for any palate. Join us for your favorite cocktail from our full bar offering a great selection of locally crafted beer, a wide variety of wine offered by the glass or bottle, and all your favorite spirits. We are proud and exited to offer a great scratch menu in a dining room featuring a world class view. Come join us today. No reservations necessary for groups of 8 or less.
Reviewed February 13, 2010

My fiancé and I were down-trodden after visiting a proposed wedding venue in North Georgia. On a whim, I told him, "let's check out Amicalola Falls Lodge." We arrived at the Lodge, and the staff members were very helpful and friendly. Even though it is a busy weekend (Valentine's Day weekend,) the staff member at the front desk ("Keith") quickly retrieved basic information we needed, asked the manager a quick question, and told us we could check out the areas we were interested in.

Because it was nearly 5, we decided to stay for dinner. Quite frankly, I'm shocked by the reviews the restaurant has received! We ate at the Maple Restaurant. On the menu was the following:

Shrimp cocktail
Broccoli Casserole
Sirloin Steak
Seafood Pasta
Rosemary Chicken

For $19.95, it was well worth it. The grilled vegetables, I don't know if they were previously frozen or not, but they certainly didn't taste like it. The soup and bisque was great. All of the sides were hot, seasoned-well, and delicious. The grilled sirloin, though found on the buffet, could be cut with a butter knife. This was SIRLOIN! It's supposed to be a cheap steak cut, and yet it was tender. The chicken breast was lemon/rosemary - not too overpowering, and the seafood pasta was great. The shrimp cocktail tasted fresh versus previously frozen, and the staff was friendly. We had a great seat overlooking the mountains, and we were very pleased.

The dessert buffet had several choices from cobbler to crisp to cakes, mousses, and cheesecake. I had a sliver of the chocolate cheesecake, and my fiancé had some chocolate mousse dish.

The only negative was the salad, but it was a salad on a buffet, so can you really say anything?

I never had to wait in line, our table was quickly cleaned, and our waitress was attentive.

Because of the staff, the location, and the food, we will be choosing Amicalola Falls Lodge as our wedding and reception venue.

Reviewed October 19, 2009

We were trapped at the top of the mountain with no place else to eat. The buffet was a bunch of canned veggies, a VERY limited salad bar, some meat I didn't even try, and the absoulte worst desserts I've ever had anywhere. They had 8 or so different ones. I tried them all just to see if I could find one worth eating. I'm NOT a picky eater, but my God, this stuff was like sweet plastic. Little Debbies would have been a huge improvement over this stuff. The waitress wasn't bad, she did her best. The view was amazing, even through the dirty windows. If you read this, the falls are extremely beautiful, just pack a lunch!!!

Reviewed August 8, 2009

We ate at the Maple Restaurant in the Lodge for Dinner and Breakfast. Considering that you have to go all the way back into Dahlonega to get to another restaurant, they have a captive audience. The food is served buffet style, and is perfectly adequate. Dinner was beef or fish with several different side items, a soup/salad bar, and a dessert bar. As far as I could tell there was just the one waitress for the whole restaurant (luckily it wasn't anywhere near full), but she kept our drinks full as long as we flagged her down. Breakfast was about the same: the only hot items that they had were eggs, grits, and oatmeal. There was a waffle maker that made pretty decent waffles, plus the usual pastry/bagel/bread with a toaster. The beverages were serve yourself for breakfast, though the waitress did bring a pot of coffee to the table. If we came back to the Lodge, I would probably eat here again.

3  Thank Nymph74
Reviewed August 5, 2009

Not cracked up to get a good rating. Use your own judgement. But I would eat else where.

1  Thank vionner
Reviewed January 14, 2009

I don't care to eat at a buffet very often. The food sometimes looks like it's been sitting out too long, or looks generally mangled by other customers. I didn't have these problems at Amicalola Falls Lodge. We enjoyed a buffet full of delicious selections, and just about all the food looked fresh, neat and very edible. I liked everything I tried, and I went back for seconds on some items. My only complaint was that the desserts that were set out in large serving pans did look messy and unappetizing. Pie was available on individual plates, so that solved the problem.

2  Thank Katy1021