“Seafood with Soul”

Skipper's Fish Camp
Ranked #2 of 33 Restaurants in Darien
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Johnson City, Tennessee
“Seafood with Soul”
Reviewed August 1, 2014 via mobile

Country cooking with a touch of Soul. Fried Flounder, gator tails, grouper... collard greens, fries... nice variety, great taste and wonderful service. Relaxed atmosphere and kids are welcome. Visit if you're anywhere close.. it's worth it. If you're lucky you will see a gator or two.

Cleveland, Ohio
“Shrimp and Grits”
Reviewed July 31, 2014

I was traveling with my kids on I-95, along the coast of Georgia, and we got hungry. I saw a sign for a seafood restaurant just a few miles off the highway that was on the water. Skipper's Fish Camp is hidden behind some small old historic buildings with small quaint shops. There's a bridge and the restaurant is next to it with a shrimp trawler moored at the end of a long dock. The menu had lots of seafood, but my daughter, Courtney, chose the 'Gator Bites.' She loved them.

My son had the fresh catch sandwich of the day; Mahi-Mahi. He said it was the best fish sandwich he's ever had. That didn't sit well with me because I happen to make fantastic fish sandwiches. I think the phrase, 'fresh-caught' fish is the answer. In Cleveland, Ohio where we live, most salt water fish in the markets are either frozen first, or have had a long journey to the market.

I couldn't have anything but Shrimp, since they catch it right off the shores. Wow! I was right. The, 'Shrimp and Grits' was unbelievable. In a large bowl is grits covered in melted cheese and crumbled bacon. Then 10 nice size shrimp (I had mine blackened) on top. Each bite was delectable and made me grown with pleasure. My kids did not like that part, but I couldn't help it, it was that good.

I will be back anytime I come close to this place, even if it takes me an hour out of my way.

St. Augustine, Florida
“Yummmy Relaxing Family Fun”
Reviewed July 30, 2014

Our family of 4 stopped by Skipper's Fish Camp on the drive from St Augustine to Hilton Head Island. My 9 year old ordered the steamed oysters and the waitress opened all the shells for her to make it easier to eat. My 3 year old had a huge portion of collards, bbq pulled pork, and most of my salad. I enjoyed the shrimp stuffed potato and my husband had the fried seafood platter. Delicious!!! and the staff were so friendly. Also there is a little water feature in the front full of fish and turtles that entertained my 3 year old until the food came. We also walked out on the water front area to look at the boats. We will be stopping again to experience this restaurant's food and hospitality!

Atlanta, GA
“Good food, great atmosphere”
Reviewed July 30, 2014

After hearing a few people sing it's praises, we stopped here on our way home from the beach. Folks, skip the fast food chains and take the time to stop here! The food was really good, and there was a lot of it. In particular, the ribs and fried shrimp really stood out. It's a little ways off the highway, but well worth the extra drive. The atmosphere is very casual, barsy, beachy, and it's right on the river, so some people seem to boat in during the evening.

Mexico Beach, Florida
“Big Shrimp!”
Reviewed July 29, 2014

We started with an appetizer of oyster casino. You can't go wrong with cheese and bacon. However, the oyster were of mixed size with most being on the small size. I had the fried shrimp platter. The shrimp were big and lightly battered and not over cooked. I doctored up the cocktail sauce with extra horseradish and they were delicious. My wife had a pound of the spicy peel and eat shrimp. They were also very big and cooked just right. Our waitress was very attentive and pleasant. We would go back again when in the area.

Visited July 2014