“Wonderful wonderful”
Review of Days Inn Darien

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Darien
Reviewed May 24, 2014

We stayed here recently. The hotel staff could not have been nicer. Everyone was very helpful and friendly. It may be right off the highway but that is a good thing when your traveling. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Angela C, Guest Relations Manager at Days Inn Darien, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2014

Dear Momma_m_11,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit with us.

We very much appreciate and value your feedback and will share it with our team. Your response will serve as encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services to provide an exceptional experience for our guest. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. Thank you again for sharing your experience and we hope your next visit will be even more peasant than the previous one.

Reviewed May 22, 2014

We stayed at this hotel because of a Groupon deal. I had low expectations for the place, but we were pleasantly surprised from the moment we entered. As we walked in the door, friendly hotel staff greeted us and, as I took care of checking in, one of them engaged my 9-yr-old son in conversation and offered an ice-cream bar. Throughout our stay the staff were helpful, attentive, and looking after us in a way that is atypical for this level of hotel.

The first thing that will stand out is the strange location and entrance; we drove past the place without realizing it. You must use another hotel's driveway and access the hotel from there. The parking lot is in front of the motel, which could be a little walk from the far end. We were in the middle and it wasn't a problem for us (the building is quite small anyway, so it's a very short walk). Inside, the size, layout and decor is typical for this level of hotel. It's really the people and little extras that bump it up a notch.

As noted by others the breakfast is nice, with more options than most. Free lemonade in the lobby is marvelous. Freshly-baked Spunkmeyer cookies in the afternoon are great (if you are around for them). And I have to say it again -- what really makes the place stand apart is really the people. From the front desk to the staff, every person was engaging and showed care for their guests. It was refreshing.

The location is about 15 minutes inland; I probably wouldn't have found the hotel if Groupon hadn't drawn my attention. It has immediate access to the interstate, and we found it well-situated for quick access to a range of islands up and down the coast. Another reviewer complained about the location, but I'm not sure what he was looking at; it's a pretty typical interstate-exit hotel zone. An outlet mall across the street has a good bit of empty space, which might lead to a sense of area downturn, but that's about it.

The staff provided us with several recommendations for food and activities, and every recommendation we tried was spot-on. That's especially true for B&J's Seafood, which is the one can't-miss place nearby.

It might not be the Ritz, but the attentive care and thoughtful extras make it a great budget choice. We'll be back.

Room Tip: If want a shorter walk to your car, ask for a room near the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Angela C, Guest Relations Manager at Days Inn Darien, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2014

Dear dlovegrove,

Very kind words, we thank you! We are please to hear you enjoyed your stay here with us. Comfort, cleanliness, and customer service have to be the three most important things when traveling and we'd like to thank you for noticing we provide them all. It is so wonderful to hear when a guest is happy and have enjoyed their stay. I will share your comments with the team and we look forward to serving you again the next time you are visiting the area.

The management team at
Days Inn Dairen

Reviewed May 20, 2014

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 19, 2014

The property is cleaner than average for a hotel in this price range. However, the breakfast area is poorly located in the lobby beside the front desk. People arriving and departing walk pass people sitting down at breakfast. The breakfast area is too small, I would not care to be there when the hotel bookings are high. The internet service was down the entire evening, I was able to go online in the morning only. I was told by management that the poor service was due to storms in the area, however the only bad weather I experienced that evening was intermittent rain. I do not think I would return as reliable internet service is important to me and I prefer to enjoy my breakfast in a better environment than a crowded lobby.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family

Dear Cajun-bob99,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay here with us. We will take your comments into consideration to see how we can make our hotel better for our guests. As there are things we are limited to we can look into a few things. We appreciate your comments and look forward to serving you again the next time you are in the area.

Thank you again, travel safe.

Best wishes,

Reviewed May 19, 2014

Since our last time staying at this hotel it must have changed ownership. Remembering a great stay a year or so ago, I looked forward to this stop on my drive back up Rt 95--but aside from looking similar from the highway, the place has gone right downhill.

The hotel is one of those highway exit hotels whose franchise affiliation changes with the calendar--in 2013 it seemed to be on the upswing, but not in 2014. Today it seems just plain world weary, No nearby restaurants, no pool...and it's hard to find.

Let me start with my observation of the hotel's condition, Torn carpets in the lobby and hallways--and also in the room. The tub wouldn't drain. The WIFI connected to my Windows 7, but not my wife's Windows 8. I can't recall if the TV last year was new, but all the sets I saw this visit were newer small screen sets. Towels are thin and worn, and the sheets have a mild Clorox aroma.

The Indians who are the managers (owners) seem to be trying to keep up with the "extras" that make this hotel appealing in the coupon books. But they are not having much success.

They do offer evening snacks which include chocolate chip cookies and lemonade, plus a taco chips and dip. They have a workout room. And they offer free breakfast with waffles and cereals and precooked egg patties, plus coffee and tea, and biscuits and gravy. But again, it just seemed to be a patchwork of plastic spoons and foam plates. And after all the freebies, water is $1.50 in the lobby, and even more costly if you use the water bottle in the room.

I would have given the hotel a "poor" rating, but my wife was insistent that she would never go back. So this review is the last one for this hotel from me.

Room Tip: Here's a tip, keep going to the next exit.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank EnglewoodDane

Dear EnglewoorDane,

Allow me to apologize on behalf for failing to meet your expectations during your recent visit to our property. I have shared your feedback with our entire team to ensure we handle these types of situations differently in the future.

Again, thank you for your time and valuable feedback. We sincerely appreciate it and hope you will give us another chance to provide you with superior customer service and accommodations on your next visit to the area.

Warm regards,

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends

Reviewed May 13, 2014 via mobile

King room with small kitchen was spacious and clean. Towels were paper thin, but clean! Orbitz showed a room rate of about $60. Got to the hotel and the rate was $110. Had to go outside and book the room through Orbitz to get the better rate...crazy! A social hour at 6p offers nachos and cookies. Good variety at breakfast. Pet friendly...no size limitations and just $10.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
Angela C, Guest Relations Manager at Days Inn Darien, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2014

Dear Jessie S,

Comfort, cleanliness and customer service have to be the three most important things when traveling and we'd like to thank you for noticing we provide them all. It is so wonderful to hear when a guest is happy and have enjoyed their stay. I will be sure to share you comments with the team and we look forward to serving you again the next time you are visiting the area.

The management team at
Days Inn Darien

Also consider these accommodations in or near Darien
Quality Inn
Red Roof Inn & Suites Brunswick I-95
Econo Lodge
Econo Lodge
#1 of 5 in Darien

Been to Days Inn Darien? Share your experiences!