“Darien River House”

Darien River House Restaurant
Cuisines: American, Mediterranean, International, Wine Bar
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Enjoy Casual Fine Dining in a relaxed and cozy atmosphere. Chef Eric,a world class Chef with over 30 years of restaurant experience, offers an ever changing fresh seasonal menu and a wine list with choices from around the world. Chef Eric also offers a nightly "Taste & Sip" Wine Pairing Dinner with 3 delicious courses perfectly paired with 3 fantastic wines for only $45! You can dine in any one of our distinctive rooms, our King George Room which reflects the feel of the 1867 Southern Vernacular Victorian, or our Riviera Room which makes you feel like your in the south of Spain or relax with some tasty hors d'oeuvres and a glass of delicious wine in our Central Wine Bar or choose to sip and nash in our Blue Mermaid Lounge. Come enjoy fresh local ingredients sprinkled with international flavor all served up with a heaping spoon of southern hospitality.
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Very disappointed. Service was not very good, waitress never really came, waited an hour for our food. We were ready to leave when it did show up. Food was very good, but after an hour of waiting you kind of loose your appetite and we were the only ones there. The chef offer a free desert but we are not desert eaters and 2 free drinks were given. I was told by locals that this really was not like this place. But a little pricey to go back and try again.

Reviewed May 26, 2014

When it comes to evening meals, don't miss the wonderful Darien River House Restaurant, located at 306 Fort King George Drive, it is just around the corner from our Open Gates B&B on Vernon Square. It is an elegant white-tablecloth European-style restaurant run by chef Eric who came and spoke with us after our meal. He clearly enjoys creating the best experience for his guests.

He had the option of an a-la-cart or a fixed 3-course menu with a different wine selected by the chef for each dish. This was excellent value at $45 each. We couldn't resist having more than one meal there so that we could try both options. For anyone who would like a top-of-its-class restaurant I would strongly recommend supporting this fine restaurant.

Reviewed May 23, 2014

September, 2013, we visited this restaurant only to find it closed. Chef Eric wrote a response to me which seemed very sincere, and asked that I write to him to make things right. I wrote to him and never received a response. I have since read the reviews and have decided to let this one go. I want everyone to be successful and love it when I see they are, but I also want to keep it honest and I was disappointed that his offer to make this right never happened.

1  Thank amy f
Reviewed May 22, 2014 via mobile

There are so many fantastic things about this restaurant and Eric is the C.I.A. trained chef is the reason why! So we were thinking of going to B&J's but we couldn't get our act together and got in after it was closed. So I used my handy dandy smart phone and found Darien River House. Uh oh I thought, I am wearing an odd combination, clogs, athletic shorts, and a blue stained shirt. It looks upscale and it is, but Eric says come the way you are comfortable. Upscale food, upscale atmosphere, competitive prices and you can wear your pajamas. The steak and the fish special were so good! And you have to try the vanilla butter! totally luxurious. CIA is the top cooking school in the United States. There is no question, Eric is a top rated chef.

Reviewed April 19, 2014

We were excited to try the Darien River House during our recent stay in Darien. Unfortunately we left disappointed. The girl who waited on us was very nice but we found the food to be very average, especially considering the prices. They serve the same sides with basically every entree. A "rice pilaf" which was really just generic yellow rice and some sauteed veg that didn't seem to have any salt, butter or anything on it. I had a mojo pork entree that didn't have any discernable spice or Caribbean flavors. The sweet sauce on the pork was overpowering everything else.

The experience wasn't bad necessarily but for the price I would expect more refined, delicious cuisine. Unfortunately I can't recommend this place.

1  Thank ColeH77