“the bread was good....”

Darien River House Restaurant
Cuisines: American, Mediterranean, International, Wine Bar
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Enjoy Casual Fine Dining in a relaxed and cozy atmosphere. Chef Eric,a world class Chef with over 30 years of restaurant experience, offers an ever changing fresh seasonal menu and a wine list with choices from around the world. Chef Eric also offers a nightly "Taste & Sip" Wine Pairing Dinner with 3 delicious courses perfectly paired with 3 fantastic wines for only $45! You can dine in any one of our distinctive rooms, our King George Room which reflects the feel of the 1867 Southern Vernacular Victorian, or our Riviera Room which makes you feel like your in the south of Spain or relax with some tasty hors d'oeuvres and a glass of delicious wine in our Central Wine Bar or choose to sip and nash in our Blue Mermaid Lounge. Come enjoy fresh local ingredients sprinkled with international flavor all served up with a heaping spoon of southern hospitality.
Reviewed December 24, 2013

Yes, the bread was good, the service above average, the hostess attentive however, the meat was so over-seasoned, hard to tell what it was. The vegetables were cooked to mush but otherwise acceptable place. Can not recommend for the price. Were with a party so difficult to make a scene & send it back. Good food available nearby.

Reviewed December 23, 2013

Darien and its visitors are blessed to have a restaurant the caliber of Darien River House Restaurant! Whether a relaxed wonderful meal or a large event, you would have to travel quite a way to equal the quality of Chef Eric's food and the experience of dining at his restaurant!

1  Thank Dixie4ever
Chef Eric L, Owner at Darien River House Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded December 24, 2013

Thank you so much for your appreciative review. I think that we have struck a nice balance of quality dining with a relaxed Victorian feel. We are far from fine dining but the ambiance is wonderfully comfortable and the food is different in a really nice way.
Merry Christmas!!!!
Chef Eric and his Mom, Patsy

Reviewed November 28, 2013

We spent $35 per person on a buffet; came home both with upset stomachs. Had to continually ask for refills on drinks. All dinnerwear is old and unmatching; the employees were all sloppily dressed in jeans and t-shirts; the prime rib was very fatty and had hard pieces; The rest of the food was very marginal. We gave up a reservation at the King and Prince to go there and it was our first time; came home with upset stomachs. IT will be our last visit there. Very disappointing.

1  Thank Diana688
Chef Eric L, Owner at Darien River House Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2013

Please let me begin by apologizing for your bad experience.
I can only guess that you must have been seated and allowed to go thru the buffet line just after our two largest groups. Even though we were in the process of refreshening, I wish you would have voiced your disappointment so we could have made it better right then and there. I would have personally trimmed the fat off your Prime Rib and made sure you didn't get the crusty end pieces, etc. The plates, coffee cups and saucers are all mismatched for two reasons, one to be "Green" and two to be"Trendy" to match the relaxed feel of our CIRCA 1860's Southern Vernacular Victorian. The glasses, silverware, napkins and table linens all match, are relatively new, and are from Macy's. I am currently dealing with the uniform issue.
I would like the chance to make this up to you by inviting you back to have dinner on me. Please send me an e-mail to cheferic@darienriverhouse.com or call me at 437-2510. I promise that you will enjoy yourselves as well as the food.
Chef/Owner
Darien River House
Restaurant & Wine Bar

Reviewed November 27, 2013

Late in the evening and this amazing Chef, opened his kitchen to me and served the best meal I've had in a while. Extensive travels and nowhere have I been met with this level of kindness.

It was our pleasure to prepare a nice dinner for you. It was fascinating to hear of your extensive travels and global culinary experiences. We are so very appreciative to receive such praise from you....
Thank you!!!
Chef/Owner

Reviewed October 14, 2013

4 couples shared a lovely evening prior to a wedding of our daughter's college room-mate. Quiet weekend in Darien and we had 1st class service with the Chef and staff being very attentive to our party. Food and wine were wonderful! Would definitely return.

Thank you so much from all of us here at the Darien River House Restaurant & Wine Bar!!! You all were a bunch of fun!